Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster S vs Base 991 cab

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 12:53 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I have had two Boxsters and both were great, but I bought a 991 cab this time around and am more than happy with it. My order went in before the details of the 981 were announced and, though I did think about switching to the 981, am happy that I didn't. The 911 is an itch that I have wanted to scratch for a while and this 991 C2 Cab is just about perfect for my needs at the moment.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:59 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by sapman
I have had two Boxsters and both were great, but I bought a 991 cab this time around and am more than happy with it. My order went in before the details of the 981 were announced and, though I did think about switching to the 981, am happy that I didn't. The 911 is an itch that I have wanted to scratch for a while and this 991 C2 Cab is just about perfect for my needs at the moment.
Isn't great to have choices!!!
Old 05-07-2012, 01:26 PM
tmg57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skinzy
... the 911 base cost $30K more. Beyond the unusable back seat why is there such a big price difference?
C'mon guys, you all know the answer because it's basic marketing: They charge $30k more for the 911 because they CAN. Porsche 911 is an iconic brand and, like all such brands, will command premium in the market. The amount of the premium is, generally speaking, whatever the market will bear.

The premium is not necessarily gouging by Porsche. Significant benefit can accrue to the buyer who perceives greater pride of ownership, public approval, etc., in the 911. Every buyer will evaluate the value proposition differently.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:33 PM
dethman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
Personally, if I were looking for a Porsche convertible I would go for a Boxster S over a 911 cab. I am not a fan of soft top 911s. The 911 has always been designed as a coupe, so turning it into a convertible has always been a compromise. The chassis has to be reinforced and even with this, 911 convertibles never have the structural rigidy of the coupe it was born from. They are 160 to 250 lbs heavier (depending on model) than the similar coupe model. More weight and a weaker chassis = less performance. This means that a 911 cab is ALWAYS a compromise.

The Boxster on the other hand was designed to be a convertible from the start. The entire chassis was designed to retain weight from the lower subframe instead of being reinforced as with the 911. When Porsche made the Cayman (aka Coxster = Coupe-Boxster) they added a solid roof structure yet it neither gained a real improvement in structural rigidy or reduction in weight. In fact, it you saw any of the Boxster Spyder vs. Cayman R tests, the Boxster Spyder outperformed the Cayman R in every one.

Finally, have you seen the New Boxster? It simply looks fantastic. It is a lot better looking than the new 911 from any angle that you look at it. The front end has a lot of Carrera GT in it and looks far better integrated than the 991 front end. I am very turned off by the back end of the 991 where the tail lights and bumper lines looking awkward while the new Boxster is incredibly sharp. The integrated spoiler with the rear tailights is very sharp. The side profile with the scoops that run along the doors is so sharp that it makes the Boxster look like a much more expensive car. The Boxster actually gets a nicer styled dash than the new 911. Finally, now that Porsche reduced the displacement of the base Carrera to the same 3.4l as the Boxster S, it really makes it hard to justify the price difference even with the 35 hp rating difference; most of which can be made up with just an upgraded exhaust. Due to the lighter weight of the Boxster S, you should not see a performance compromise versus the base Carrera Cab.
Actually i thought the 911's were designed now cab first and the coupe added onto the cab design, not the other way around, since the 997.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:19 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by caveatesq1
The base 911 spec sheet should have an entry that reads "911 Snob Appeal - $20,000" because that's really what most are paying for. Me, I'll keep the cash and enjoy my bargain.
If they only charged $20,000 for the "911 snob appeal", I'd take the 911. I paid around $95K for my 997S Cab, the equivalent 991S is around $125K. If all things were equal, I would go with the 991, but at $125K plus tax etc. choosing the 981 was an easy decision. Maybe I'll buy some facebook stock with the extra $70K.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:37 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
It is a simple decision for me, since I can't fit comfortably in a Boxster. Not enough room in the cabin for a) legroom AND b) comfortable seat back incline. I can get one or the other, but not both.
I found the same thing whenever I drove a 986. With the 987, I have no problems with having more than adequate legroom while reclining the seat. The 981 is supposed to have about 2" additional legroom over the 987.

Originally Posted by tmg57
C'mon guys, you all know the answer because it's basic marketing: They charge $30k more for the 911 because they CAN. Porsche 911 is an iconic brand and, like all such brands, will command premium in the market. The amount of the premium is, generally speaking, whatever the market will bear.
This is absolutely true! Just look at the rediculous price Porsche suckered people into paying for the 911 Speedster last year. It was just a GTS Cab with a shorter windscreen, yet was $80K more than a GTS Cab. The Speedster didn't even have much lower of a production volume than the GTS Cab. Regardless of the price, people bought in because they put a "Speedster" name on the back.

Looking at the features for both the 981 S and 991 Carrera, what is really unique about going to the 991 (just in terms of features)? The only 2 options I could find that were unique to the 991 are the Burmester audio and PDCC, both options on the 991. As an experiment, I went ahead and configured both with the same equipment (same basic build with mostly sport options and BOSE stereo). I came up with a $34K differential between the 2 models. According to the technical specs, the 991 Cab weighs 3241 versus 2976 for the 981 giving them near identical power to weight ratios. This means you pay about 50% more to get the 911 without a real performance advantage. Keep in mind that the performance gap was greater with previous models (996 > 986 S and 997.1 > 987.1 S), the gap has just been narrowing with each model change. There is obviously a much greater gap in performance if you look at a 991 S versus a 981 S, but that is also an additional $14,300. The worst part about all this is that the new Boxster looks so much better than the new 911.

Last edited by 10 GT3; 05-07-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:20 PM
skinzy
Instructor

Whats missing in these arguments are the price of substitutes for the 911 cab. When I did my research I found its main competitors to be the Audi R8 and Mercedes SL. Neither has a rear seat and are perhaps 10K less expensive but in my research could not match the 911 in overall performance. Thus their are limits to "what the market will bear" as set by competitors.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:33 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking at the features for both the 981 S and 991 Carrera, what is really unique about going to the 991 (just in terms of features)? The only 2 options I could find that were unique to the 991 are the Burmester audio and PDCC, both options on the 991. As an experiment, I went ahead and configured both with the same equipment (same basic build with mostly sport options and BOSE stereo). I came up with a $34K differential between the 2 models. According to the technical specs, the 991 Cab weighs 3241 versus 2976 for the 981 giving them near identical power to weight ratios. This means you pay about 50% more to get the 911 without a real performance advantage. Keep in mind that the performance gap was greater with previous models (996 > 986 S and 997.1 > 987.1 S), the gap has just been narrowing with each model change. There is obviously a much greater gap in performance if you look at a 991 S versus a 981 S, but that is also an additional $14,300. The worst part about all this is that the new Boxster looks so much better than the new 911.
I did the same experiment with the similar results. The 911 is still the flagship, but on purely objective measures, the new Boxster S seems a much better buy for the money than the base 911. Of course I haven't driven the new Boxster yet. It could suck, but I doubt it.

As for styling, it is a purely subjective thing. But for me the new Boxster is stunning. I could do with more subdued side scoops, but I still thought Wow! when I first saw it (still not digging on the VW inspired interior though). The base and S versions of the 991 are nice looking but a bit ho hum for a flagship, and I trend to the conservative side of things. Conservative and plain are not the same thing. I do see potential for the GT and TTT versions though.

Still digging the 996tt and waiting to see how all this evolves.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:01 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

It's funny how these responses just keep coming back to "it's a 911 so it's okay that it cost $30k more."
Post the same question on the Box Forum and you will come away with this general answer ==> "it's a Boxster so it's okay that it cost $30k less."
Old 05-07-2012, 09:23 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's funny how these responses just keep coming back to "it's a 911 so it's okay that it cost $30k more."
Even funnier how the topic of money even came up to begin with.

These are essentially two different cars to suit two separate requirements and market segments. It also stands to reason that the more expensive model would substantiate in areas over the lesser priced car. And if model recognition is one of them, then that also stands to reason. Guys do the obvious differences really need to be spelled out? To base everything purely off performance as being the sole point of justification for why the 911 is more expensive than the Boxster is about as absurd as suggesting the 30k extra is only for the snobbery associated to the 911 name.

Let's all get real. Money/price often gets argued about when there is a lack of it, and that's when the points of difference/justification usually surface why one is not worth more than the other....usually easily defeated at one point in the discussion. This discussion will prove no different... no doubt .

PS. There may be a valid point to argue over the dated appearance of the 997 cabriolet being not as attractive as the current 981 Boxster. But to say the new 991 cab isn't a substantially better looking car in comparison to the 997 cab, and new 981, would be a minority opinion, and possibly one from persons with green issues .

[quote=caveatesq1;9507801]
I had a 2008 997S for just over two years. It was a nice car, but, to be honest, I was not all that impressed. It never felt balanced to me and even when new, it seemed very dated.
The 997 had at that stage been out well over 3 years and many rival Brands had appeared with newer models at that stage. I would agree the 911 is not as balanced as a mid mount boxster however, a 911 person appreciates those characteristics as positives rather than a straight negative. I think once you have been skilled in the art of driving a 911 properly you will come to understand what all the fuss is about with the rear engine layout. Sure it may not be for everyone. As much as i enjoy the characteristics there are certain traits even i am happy to have seen dialed out of the car in the new 991 model. 911 is an ever evolving/improving animal. I guess the easiest solution would be to do away with the rear seats and make the car mid mount. Who knows, we all may wind up prefering it even more..

I sold it a got a new M3 (if I only had one car, this would be it as is a fabulous all-around car,
I would agree the M3 is a brilliant all rounder. But a track day car it is not. And, it is no 911 either. A 911 is a very special car when you learn to appreciate its traits and unique character.

but as a pure sports car, it is too heavy and lacks the visceral feeling of the Porsches).
No kidding.

Before buying the 911, I seriously shopped the Boxster/Cayman cars and liked them a lot - more than the 911 - but with two young boys, the tiny back seats of the 911 and "history" of the 911, drew me in.
Then it's obvious due to your family position that you bought your 997 for all the wrong reasons when in fact you actually required a car that catered better for your young family. The M3 makes a lot of sense in that situation.

I have spent a fair amount of time with the 991 and, unlike the seeming majority, I like it better than the 997. At this point, I wouldn't dare try and shoehorn my youngest son (he's 9) in the back of event the 991. So why send the extra on a car that is only marginally faster than the new Boxster and likely isn't as tossable? I just don't see a base 911 as being worth the sizable premium that Porsche is charging over and above the 981. The base 911 spec sheet should have an entry that reads "911 Snob Appeal - $20,000" because that's really what most are paying for. Me, I'll keep the cash and enjoy my bargain.
I think your above comment again identifies the precise reason why it suits you not to rationalise why it isn't just "snob appeal" that is behind the reason for the extra money. Your family issues are still clearly there (as you have stated) therefore, it makes logical sense to spend less on a car that has limited use for the amount of time you may actually get to spend in it. I would also question if the price of the cars were identical which one you would actually choose, putting aside the fact the 991 has been voted worlds best sports car.

You would also sit in a minority group that would think the 991 911 is worth no more money than a 981 Boxster S, when in reality there is a whole lot more to the car, particularly in terms of practicality, styling, speciality and overall substance of the offering under question.

Let me put this question to you for an honest answer. Price the two models the same and ask yourself which model Porsche would sell more of. Something tells me we already have the answer to that.

Originally Posted by tmg57

The premium is not necessarily gouging by Porsche. Significant benefit can accrue to the buyer who perceives greater pride of ownership, public approval, etc., in the 911. Every buyer will evaluate the value proposition differently.
I basically agree with what you say, but there is more to it. Like i said above; Price the two models the same and see which one sells more than the other. The reality is, there is more to a 991 911 than the 981 than just performance alone. A Porsche person should be (particularly) able to intelligently rationalise and determine these areas easily. A BMW person with clear family practicality requirements may not. To say the extra $ is all just "snob" money as some have suggested, is at best fanciful thinking or at worst, $green envy.

Originally Posted by clutchplate
If they only charged $20,000 for the "911 snob appeal", I'd take the 911. I paid around $95K for my 997S Cab, the equivalent 991S is around $125K. If all things were equal, I would go with the 991, but at $125K plus tax etc. choosing the 981 was an easy decision. Maybe I'll buy some facebook stock with the extra $70K.
Some folk may be prepared to pay for snob appeal, some may not. That is why when two models are compared, all the differences should be put on the table and rationalised correctly. The 991 911 cabriolet has a lot more going for it than the Boxster than just 911's iconic name. ie; it's roomier inside (larger air space when the roof is up) has ability to put items behind you instead of on the passenger seat, ability to squeeze someone in the back on those isolated occasions (and having that option to do so is moreso important) Superior exterior styling, 40+ years honing and engineering, and so it goes on....

The way i see it, the Boxster is essentially a "run about" or short distance type specialty sports car whereas the 911 has greater all round practicality and appeal for most drivers....and that's not including the specialty appeal associated to owning what is claimed as the worlds best sports car.

The worst part about all this is that the new Boxster looks so much better than the new 911.
I honestly don't see it as the "worst" part of anything. The 991 cab is clearly a more substantial car in terms of both offering, general practicality and speciality.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion to which car looks the better, and while the Boxster is certainly a significant styling improvement over the outgoing car I personal don't find it as attractive against the simplistic clean sweeping lines of the 991 cab. Just stand at the rear of a 981 and a 991 and tell me 911's wide rear flanks don't drown out the presence of any Boxster

I would agree with another member here who commented that the 981 Boxster is quite busy in design, and it therefore stands to lose its appeal far quicker than any 911. The car is very new in the market also, so while it is receiving a lot of attention now, once the market settles down things are likely to change in that level of excitement and attention, after all the dust has settled. It could also be said the styling of 981 is a bit MR2 ish (so not as clean as the outgoing car), needless to say it is both visually and physically smaller than the 911 and therefore attracts the small man, girls car, hairdresser car, gays car etc comments which (for right or wrong) always seem to follow these types of vehicles around. It would personally not stop me from buying a Boxster, even if that was all i could afford, and if i did either way, it would be for my wife (as a nice little run around fun sports car) rather than for myself as again the household still requires a dedicated family SUV type vehicle. But to each is own.

Last edited by speed21; 05-07-2012 at 11:45 PM. Reason: spell and grammer check.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:19 PM
cmb13
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

As far as looks are concerned, I think the 991 is just about perfect; iconic, refined, and a terrific update on a classic design. The 981, while I'm sure it drives great, does look way too much like the MR2 or S2000 to me. I liked the way the Boxster looked before better.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:46 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

[QUOTE=cmb13;9510607]As far as looks are concerned, I think the 991 is just about perfect; iconic, refined, and a terrific update on a classic design. The 981, while I'm sure it drives great, does look way too much like the MR2 or S2000 to me. I liked the way the Boxster looked before better.[/QUOTY]

^^^^ Yes!

Last edited by Galion; 07-03-2014 at 10:33 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:49 PM
packwest
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the Boxster, you get 90% of the fun at 50% of the price, give or take. Objectively and purely from a sports car perspective, it is a better sports car. It has most things the 991 possesses that is required of a sports car, yet doesn't lolad up on the impurities that isn't typically associated with a sports car.

Thus, the extra $30k does really boil down to subjective things like heritage, prestige, brand, etc.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:49 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^ Funny how it's now the Germans copying.....whereas before it was everyone else copying the Germans. I guess they must have thought "if you cant beat em join em"
Old 05-07-2012, 11:51 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[quote=Galion;9510695]
Originally Posted by cmb13
As far as looks are concerned, I think the 991 is just about perfect; iconic, refined, and a terrific update on a classic design. The 981, while I'm sure it drives great, does look way too much like the MR2 or S2000 to me. I liked the way the Boxster looked before better.[/QUOTY]

^^^^ Yes!
You really think that looks like the new Boxter? Time to break down and get those readers you've been avoiding. It's okay. It happens to all of us.

Quick Reply: Boxster S vs Base 991 cab