rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
warning bad grammar ahead!
1. prefer 19s over the 20s
2. betthe 991base is faster than the 997S
3. hate the fact that theres even a base/s distinction
Agree, it should just be a "powerkit" option forthe 50hp, and options for calipers/etc the same way everything else is an option.... the only reason they make an "S" is so people can say they have an "S".... if otherwise, would be just another option..
Old 05-02-2012, 06:24 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
again i disagree, my car's are my toys and i've had plenty of them... just because i decided to buy a supercharged lotus exige 2 years ago to have fun with doesn't mean i need to go crazy and get the 2010 S260, turns out the 2007 S220 is actually over 100lbs lighter from the get go and easily upgradeable to 260Hp, and at the end of the day buying cash worked out and i made 12k on the vehicle when selling, make 10k on my 2011 cayenne, made 8k on my 2012 cayenne, made 1k on my 09 PDK 911, and broke even on my 05 997 cab...

i have no problem with you adding options and selling short/etc... i just treat it like a game and enjoy ordering exactly what I WANT, and negotiating to the point where i pay less than everyone else and then doing my homework and selling it to those willing to pay more.

when a person goes to a dealer and all the cars are 108-120k sticker and they see your just as sexy vehicle for 90k.... they rarely stop and tell you how badly they need park assist, they want the car and dont mind spending 18-30k less... my cayenne was cash buyer, he wanted to pay less and knew wife wouldnt care, other cayenne he didn't want to wait and didnt mind paying less for a car with less options and i actually have a friend that gave me 10k down to make sure i sell him the 991 for 85k in feb 2013 when my new car comes in... (btw, i didn't pay near 85k for the 991)

again, whatever works for you is great, but end of the day i got exactly the car i wanted, and i'm very happy.. it's a toy to me and finding value in something allows me to enjoy it more... same when i buy watches... even 100k watches can be a good value and i enjoy wearing them more when i know i did my research and got "a good deal"..... the extra 30k you spent on the "S" got me a new audemars on my wrist... so thats where i choose to spend the extra.

as far as 997's, i've been down that road and a used 997.2 for..... 60-70k is nowhere near the pleasure i get in my 991... my 997.1 was eh, 997.2 was great, 991 is phenomenal....

there is value in everything, never will i see the day where i disregard value in anything i buy whether its 100k watches, 100k cars, or anything in between.
I'm sorry man,I don't know you,but it's really hard for me to believe you made money selling your used Cayennes and that a so called ' friend ' gave you a deposit on your brand new 991.
Don't get this the wrong way and of course you might not care what I think,but I have yet to meet people that ' made ' money selling their used cars,unless it's a classic,special in some way,or they bought it used from some auction,dealer trade in etc.
Congrats on the new car BTW!
Old 05-02-2012, 07:26 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

the only reason they make an "S" is so people can say they have an "S".... if otherwise, would be just another option..
Maybe, but at least they've been consistent since there's been an "S" model for almost 50 years....
Old 05-02-2012, 11:27 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i bought a new phone. Its the "S" model.

i also bought a new golf driver. Its the "S" model.

These marketing people need to come up w/ something new.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:26 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Yeah, I know, but maybe both of you could help.
Sorry... Didnt mean to come across as being unsupportive. It's just that after coming over from the 991 section on 6speedonline where there are 2 key serial offenders "one of them eloquenty" (still) seeking to tear a path right through the centre of the 991 section using their 997's, (making up threads and all kinds of nonsense) and me standing in their path all the time found it to be not only a thankless task but also an excercise in futility, as Sap has also found i believe. I guess some 997 guys are burning so bad over 991 it's best just to let them burn all that hate out of themselves...whilst giving them a little prod here and there when their remarks become a bit too repititious.

It's annoying i know, but at one point they will run out of BS....
Old 05-03-2012, 12:45 AM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

Why all the debate? If you want to spend 85, get a lightly optioned base. If you want to spend 150, get a highly optioned S. Or it might not be about money. One buyer might want the lightest possible car with a minimum of electronics and creature comforts, while another might want all of the handling and performance extras available, while yet another might want a plethora of luxury options. Either way, it's a 911, which in my opinion is the best combination of looks, performance, style, prestige and dependability available from any car maker. I, for one, am anxiously awaiting my $113,000 S Cab, and I'm happy I got to use the word "plethora" in my post.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:23 AM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 197 Posts

... the boxster/cayman have tons of luggage space, but it's nearly impossible to cram hookers in either without removing limbs... the 991 can fit several hookers without any qualms, and you can still dismember a few and place in frunk.
Interesting . . . ***** Pickton logic.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:39 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by neanicu
I'm sorry man,I don't know you,but it's really hard for me to believe you made money selling your used Cayennes and that a so called ' friend ' gave you a deposit on your brand new 991.
Don't get this the wrong way and of course you might not care what I think,but I have yet to meet people that ' made ' money selling their used cars,unless it's a classic,special in some way,or they bought it used from some auction,dealer trade in etc.
Congrats on the new car BTW!
would you prefer to see purchase orders? you should familiarize yourself with the current market, high demand, low supply.. buy cash without finance charges and your golden....

i have no reason to lie, what does that help me....
Old 05-03-2012, 01:40 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by tgcrun
Why all the debate? If you want to spend 85, get a lightly optioned base. If you want to spend 150, get a highly optioned S. Or it might not be about money. One buyer might want the lightest possible car with a minimum of electronics and creature comforts, while another might want all of the handling and performance extras available, while yet another might want a plethora of luxury options. Either way, it's a 911, which in my opinion is the best combination of looks, performance, style, prestige and dependability available from any car maker. I, for one, am anxiously awaiting my $113,000 S Cab, and I'm happy I got to use the word "plethora" in my post.
exactly..

i love my damn car, keeping it at least 10 months. :-D
Old 05-03-2012, 05:36 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 547 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Alex,

I have a 997.2, not a 991. However, I am realistic enough to understand that the 991 is improved in many ways over the 997.1 and 997.2. I do not feel threatened by the 991, as you seem to be.

My disagreement with your comments on many topics has rarely been the topic itself, but rather the way you portray your "conjecture" and your "opinion" as FACT. You have done this repeatedly, the most outrageous one being you claim that "all DFI engines burn an excessive amount of oil." Your latest claim that the 991, which is 2" longer than the the 997, was MASSIVE.

Quite frankly, you are given to hyperbole and conjecture. What concerns me the most is that the new 911 owners that have recently found Rennlist may be greatly misled and misinformed by your comments. I, for one, will not sit idly by and let you mislead other Rennlisters with your personal conjectures that you pass off as FACTUAL information.
Spot on. The MASSIVE 991 is actually lighter and lower. I have not put a drop of oil in my DFI Porsche in 6,000 miles and counting. No conjectures here, just FACT.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:44 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 547 Posts

To the guy who gave you a $10k deposit now on a base 991 that's 10 months old for 85k used and driven, wow. Can I call him, I have some stuff to sell him too psst, don't tell him that he can actually just buy a new one for that with no deposit. You could also quit your day job, then just buy Porsches in bulk and sell them all for a profit. Could be fun.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:55 AM
19_hole
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, but at this point in time there are absolutely no 991 BASE cars that are 10 months old. I think there is a typo in there somewhere!
Old 05-03-2012, 07:49 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
Sorry... Didnt mean to come across as being unsupportive. It's just that after coming over from the 991 section on 6speedonline where there are 2 key serial offenders "one of them eloquenty" (still) seeking to tear a path right through the centre of the 991 section using their 997's, (making up threads and all kinds of nonsense) and me standing in their path all the time found it to be not only a thankless task but also an excercise in futility, as Sap has also found i believe. I guess some 997 guys are burning so bad over 991 it's best just to let them burn all that hate out of themselves...whilst giving them a little prod here and there when their remarks become a bit too repititious.

It's all good!

I didn't take your earlier post to mean you weren't supportive. I took it that you were as frustrated with his repetitive ill conceived conjectures as I am. However, I am not ready, nor am I willing, to give up yet because too many Newbies can be impacted the wrong way with his non-factual "FACTS."
Old 05-03-2012, 07:52 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 19_hole
Sorry, but at this point in time there are absolutely no 991 BASE cars that are 10 months old. I think there is a typo in there somewhere!
Riley picked up his 991 C2 on Monday 4-30-12. He stated that his friend would buy it in February of 2013. Hence the 10 months.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:36 PM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21

Thanks for taking up the cause.

Quick Reply: Base // "S" Differences....