Sponsored by:

Park assist --- how important?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 11:35 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've seen generic aftermarket back-up cameras wired into the PCM. It's not linked to selecting reverse, but requires pushing a button or two to select AUX video or something. Quite doable. I'm hoping to retrofit since my kids/dogs/lawnmower/something always ends up behind the car at the most inopportune moments.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:05 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I've seen generic aftermarket back-up cameras wired into the PCM. It's not linked to selecting reverse, but requires pushing a button or two to select AUX video or something. Quite doable. I'm hoping to retrofit since my kids/dogs/lawnmower/something always ends up behind the car at the most inopportune moments.
I'm not sure over your way but over here park sensors and rear cameras will be (or are already) mandatory equipment in new cars due to kids being reversed over and the likes. Where kids are concerned you can never be too careful.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:06 AM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I guess it depends on how much you enjoy repairing and repainting bumpers...
Old 04-30-2012, 12:08 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by DrJay
I guess it depends on how much you enjoy repairing and repainting bumpers...
Yeah well there's that aspect too. That said you can never protect your rear bar from d-bags that hit into you even when you give them half a car space between.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:51 AM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
Yeah well there's that aspect too. That said you can never protect your rear bar from d-bags that hit into you even when you give them half a car space between.
there is that, I think the only thing that would prevent that is driving a tank. A real one.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:59 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by DrJay
there is that, I think the only thing that would prevent that is driving a tank. A real one.
Dat true.

I actually find if i'm in my 4WD and park, I can park as close to or next to any car i want (excepting another 4WD) and when i come back it's fine. On the other hand if its my 911, I can handle having the bars painted but not a door ding. Its funny no matter how much room you give there will inevitably be some jealous D-bag that will find a way to **** you off.

Quick Reply: Park assist --- how important?