Sponsored by:

Park assist --- how important?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 07:53 PM
John S 211
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Park assist --- how important?

Quick (and admittedly,somewhat dumb...) question...seeking some opinions.

I've finalized my build for a C2S Cab. Working with my dealer, we've located a car inbound to the US that exactly matches my specifications with one exception ---- no park assist. So here's my question: how important do you feel this feature is on the new Cab given its rear-looking visibility? And second, is there an aftermarket option to add post delivery?

And yes..I understand that I can wait a few months and get this last feature bolted on....but my guess is most of you would identify with the fact that that would deprive me of three summer months driving this awesome Cab! Logical...nope. Guilty as charged...
Old 04-23-2012, 08:48 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 147 Likes on 79 Posts

It came with a package along with a rear view camera (great for lining up a trailer hitch!) on my Cayenne and it's very useful. But for whatever reason, I couldn't bring myself to order it on a Carrera. Doesn't seem right. Cab or coupe, I don't think it's a must have or even need. Just my $.02
Old 04-23-2012, 09:07 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Those things drive me nuts. The beeping is annoying. It doesn't take long to get the feel of how long your car is. Rear camera is very useful for a trailer hitch, but on a 911?
Old 04-23-2012, 09:51 PM
skinzy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered on my cab which comes standard will rear sensors. At $350 seemed like a no brainer to head off a bad move.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:00 PM
ncamg
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Rear park assist seems to be standard in the cab. The option adds front sensors. In the coupe both front and rear park assist is optional. By the way in the 911 park assist does not include a rear camera. So your base C2S cab should have rear park assist and I suspect that should be all you need.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:19 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very handy on my truck. Don't miss it at all on my Porsche. It's personal preference, but I wouldn' hold up a build for it.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:29 AM
Wiley Hodges
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

I just took delivery of my Cab Saturday and I went for the front Park Assist option. My impression is that the sensors are quite sensitive, and show "red" when you still have a bit of room. That's probably good for the sake of safety, but the first time I pulled into the garage it threw my positioning off a bit.

Overall, I'm still glad I got them if only for the brief period where I'm acquainting myself with the car's corners and sight lines. And, of course, it's essential on the rear for the Cab as you can't see squat behind you.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:48 AM
SSST
Drifting

Just curious. Does the new cab have poor visibility? It looks like it would be better than the 996/997 since it has larger side and rear windows. I've never had a visibility problem in my 996.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:44 AM
John S 211
Track Day

Thanks all, as always for the excellent feedback. I was not aware that the base configuration on the Cab includes the audible alarm in the rear. That is definitely all that I need. SSST...in my limited test drive, I found that the rear visibility in the Cab was somewhat limited with the roof closed --- pretty narrow window and a longer than expected rear-end. I have no doubt that this will only take a week or two to internalize, but the audible assist for lower objects is pretty useful.

Thanks again for your feedback on this! Trigger pulled --- three weeks away!
Old 04-24-2012, 04:23 AM
Kelderek
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I never saw the use for front Park Assist. I also noted that of the four sensors in front, only two are integrated into the front body panel. The remaining two are mounted as separate parts on the radiatior air intake in a quite unsightly manner. Not pretty...
Old 04-24-2012, 10:59 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The 991 parking sensors don't beep much at all (if anything, they're too slow to beep) but the "cloud" is very effective (it will detect things down to about a half inch diameter like a garden tree stake.)

I find it particularly difficult to figure out the rear of the car (the rear view is much more difficult than the 997) so I think the park distance things pay for themselves in time saved and avoiding that first unnecessary trip to the paint shop. A rear (and front) camera would be better. Hopefully someone will figure out how to retrofit a camera or two to the PCM.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:40 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

now that it also shows as a pic on the PCM, i think it can be a useful option even if it just saves you once during ownership.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:46 AM
Wiley Hodges
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm finding Park Assist quite useful on my 991 cab. It's optional on the front, but I went for it on the theory that it was much cheaper than light bodywork. It seems to have pretty good vertical range, and has already saved me from a bumper scrape while parking.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:20 AM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

^^^^+1
I have F/R park assist and I find it very useful, saved my front bumper lip from hitting high concrete parking stops a couple of times.
I don't care about the beeping (Which do drive me nuts), there is an option to lower the volume or even mute it, I just use the pic in the PCM.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:35 PM
speed21
Banned

Never had rear park on any of my previous porsches mainly because of cost plus i'm fussy where i park anyway but on the odd occassion when i had to park in a space I always found reversing the car an absolute PITA. The way the P car is designed while it has great visability, when it comes the the extremity points of the cars rear it's impossible to know how close you are to that car behind. I found i was always having to open the drivers door to lean out to check.

My current turbo has it (i finally bit the bullit on the rear park sensors) and i can honestly say for the cost of the option it's money very well spent. So yeah. I'd call it a must have. I wouldnt order a car without it now. However if i was looking for a good used car and it didnt have it, and the car had everything else i wanted then i'd do without it again. Same with a GT3 that doesnt offer the option.....you have no choice but to live without it.

Quick Reply: Park assist --- how important?