chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Shh, don't disturb the rant with facts.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:04 AM
John's 991
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did not like it much at first, but am fine with it now. The ability to stop the car with it is great, although I can't imagine the brakes ever giving out either.

A quick push or pull is all you need, no big deal and it does keep the cabin a bit more clear of clutter. And you don't even have to remember to release it when you drive off
Old 08-09-2012, 06:30 PM
HotLap
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I use the thing simply because I loathe the way PDK behaves like an automatic and lets the car roll onto the "P" parking lock like a family minivan.
LOL, tooo TRUE!! I hate that roll/rock/lock action as well!
Old 08-09-2012, 06:34 PM
HotLap
Racer

To the original post, IMO, the e-brake is replacing something that didn't need replacing, someone said new is not always better, and I'm guessing here but an electric e-brake is bound to be more complex, with more components and more subject to failure and maintenance down the road. I'd rather just have the cable e-brake and spend my Porsche $$'s on worthwile options...
Old 08-09-2012, 09:26 PM
toplabels
Instructor

1500 miles on my 991S and still looking for the e brake on the right......
Old 08-09-2012, 10:36 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 414 Likes on 180 Posts

That's what I mean -- memory buttons on the door. It should appear as a separate line item on the window sticker of your car or perhaps as part of one of the premium packages just as "driver memory."

I won't be near the car for a couple of weeks, but I'll be endeavoring to have those little switches stapled onto the door. I assume the various wiring is already hanging behind the panel. PCM reports "key 1" and "key 2" and there's some settings for "personalization" that includes "auto store" (IIRC) but no additional explanation of how those settings all tie in. Just a niggling annoyance -- Porsche shouldn't "nickel and dime" the customer, as if that needs to be said.

Set your radio stations, seat, mirrors, temp(?), and steering wheel
With door closed and car on push select and the #3.

You can do that for each of two keys.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:48 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I finally noticed the damn car doesn't have memories for the mirrors and seats.
you salesman messed up. or you didn't pay enough attention when ordering the car.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:17 AM
luffe
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I agree about the electronic nannies. I was in the garage in my 997.2 today trying to set something up on the dash computer with the engine running. My seat belt wasn't fastened so I couldn't enter the computer menu. So I buckled my seat belt and the car still wouldn't let me do it because the hood was unlatched. (I know, I'm in the garage!) Had to wrestle myself out of the sport bucket and close the frunk just so I could access the damn computer. The 991 is just carrying on the tradition....
I don´t know about the 997, but in the 991 you can escape warning/error messages etc in the multifunction display by pulling the selection handle towards you, and proceed as normal...
Old 08-10-2012, 02:21 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by luffe
I don´t know about the 997, but in the 991 you can escape warning/error messages etc in the multifunction display by pulling the selection handle towards you, and proceed as normal...
I know that's true of some messages but not in the case I described. The "front lid not closed" message would not clear and return me to the display no matter what I did, including pulling back on the selection lever, until I got out and closed the frunk lid. Maybe the 991 is different but I'm willing to bet with regard to that particular message, it's not. Try it and let us know.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:38 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sfo
you salesman messed up. or you didn't pay enough attention when ordering the car.
I can't blame others for what I chose, and in this case, we ordered the car and the spec froze before the launch cars arrived and the descriptions even today in the US Web site are incomplete and force the customer to order things in packages that include unwanted items (ASSeats to get keyless entry?!) that should all be line items from day one.

As ever, ordering the car, the specifications of packages, the standard equipment level, should all favor the customer and improve the ownership experience, not make it easier to program the just in time factory efficiency or long term maintenance liability calculations.

That Porsche would build any car in the last 20 years without mirror memory goes to show how they let their OEMs share products and create artificial up-sell business that has the consequence of disappointing the customer, not encouraging the customer to want to order again, thinking "Oh boy! Gee willikers! Next time I spend $130,000+ on a new car, wow, I might splurge and order the mirror memory buttons!"
Old 08-10-2012, 06:49 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In 55 posts I could 't find one that postulated why Porsche went electronic for the PARKING BRAKE. I believe is is because it saved them tens of millions of dollars. VW Audi is poised to be the largest car manufacturer in the world in the next year or so. The commonality of shared parts the electronic brake allows compared to all the different handles, buttons, button springs, brackets, cables etc. for every model of VW, Audi, Porsche, Bentley and Lambo just staggers the mind. If even half of that money saved has gone into developing better cars, I for one think we benefit.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:27 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 414 Likes on 180 Posts

I can't blame others for what I chose, and in this case, we ordered the car and the spec froze before the launch cars arrived and the descriptions even today in the US Web site are incomplete and force the customer to order things in packages that include unwanted items (ASSeats to get keyless entry?!) that should all be line items from day one.

As ever, ordering the car, the specifications of packages, the standard equipment level, should all favor the customer and improve the ownership experience, not make it easier to program the just in time factory efficiency or long term maintenance liability calculations.

That Porsche would build any car in the last 20 years without mirror memory goes to show how they let their OEMs share products and create artificial up-sell business that has the consequence of disappointing the customer, not encouraging the customer to want to order again, thinking "Oh boy! Gee willikers! Next time I spend $130,000+ on a new car, wow, I might splurge and order the mirror memory buttons!"
I believe that it has mirror memory
Old 08-10-2012, 10:48 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by solomonschris
In 55 posts I could 't find one that postulated why Porsche went electronic for the PARKING BRAKE. I believe is is because it saved them tens of millions of dollars.
Porsche explained that the electronic brake reduced the weight of the car and improved emissions. Also, VAG is in the business of saving billions, not paltry millions. : ) They also explained how it improved the cabin and improved chassis design for safety. The same words were used for electric steering. To some extent, also for the electric a/c compressor.

In my experience, all these decisions are made in reaction to parts vendors saying they're simply not going to make rear axles with cable-lever actuated brakes, so take it or leave it. The emissions legal wording makes it tough to pass government tests if the systems are not already "green stamped." It's a "one size fit you. Shut up." world, so once Porsche signs a contract for the Cayenne or Panamera, for systems electronics, for service, for insurance and underwriting, for production engineering, quality, etc., they sign for all their product lines. The days of a car being built to the altruistic dreams and goals of a team of dedicated enthusiasts are gone.

Why does the 911 have an electric parking brake that 911 drivers dislike? The answer is in the stock price, not the product.

Why do companies like Porsche survive and outlast their competitors for over half a century? Because they don't care about their stock price. The employees probably couldn't even tell you the "ticker symbol" much less its price today or last year.

Therein lies the precarious state of Porsche in the hands of VW.

Last edited by Carrera GT; 08-12-2012 at 01:18 AM.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:03 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Last edited by Mike in CA; 08-11-2012 at 12:40 AM.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:23 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Now that I have had a 991 for about 6 months, I realize that I haven't thought about the electric parking brake for about 5 months. It is even disappearing from the breathless journalists who were looking for something to not gush over when they finally got to drive the new 991 and 981.

For me, it does exactly what a parking brake is good for, and well, since it is impossible to leave engaged while driving. Using the parking brake to assist when starting on a steep hill is a great skill, rendered inconsequential wit hill hold built in. Using it for emergency stops or hand brake turns- I am happy leaving that to hero action thriller flicks.

The hand brake has gone the route of the choke button on the dash (or under it on my Beatle if I recall correctly) as far as I am concerned

Quick Reply: Electric parking brake