Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric parking brake

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 11:56 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

See my signature line. Sometimes better is not actually better.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:12 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
how were we supposed to know that in an emergency situation? LOL.
Before you get in your new car for the first time, you
Old 04-08-2012, 12:15 AM
quibbs
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
I think it's admirable and uplifting that Porsche is striving to make their cars so Stephen Hawking can drive one, but most of us aren't crying over the loss of a handbrake as much as the loss of what was once a car that took some measure of skill to drive. I really wish Porsche would just stop trying to bs that they're interested in making these cars better, and admit that what they're really trying to do is make their cars idiot-proof in order to tap the vastly under-served market of idiots.
So if someone buys the car but they aren't hardcore they are idiots? I don't get this. Same line of thinking about manuals. Obviously you aren't a real man unless you drive a manual. Or kill your beef with your bare hands.....

What does "better" mean? Whose definition of better are we talking about? If it's your definition then they are lying. Maybe others think they did improve it.

So what if VW did make it easier for the vast groups of the "under served" to drive the car. A good driver will always be able to get more out of a car than someone with lesser skill anyway.

VW is going to continue to want to make a car that will sell well. It isn't about serving the "market of idiots", it's about increasing sales. If I owned a company that made cars and the vast majority bought automatics, I would cater to that group. Early adopters and hardcore might make a companies beginnings, but they don't always keep a company around.

Porsche is still offering a compelling product. Perhaps the times are a changing and they are trying to keep up or stay ahead. If they didn't change enough, they would get hammered, if they change anything, they get hammered. They really are damned if they do, damned if they don't to some degree.

You obviously like the older models and there is nothing wrong with that, but we idiots like what they are making now as well and I bet there are a lot of us around.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:53 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Originally Posted by quibbs
So if someone buys the car but they aren't hardcore they are idiots? I don't get this. Same line of thinking about manuals. Obviously you aren't a real man unless you drive a manual. Or kill your beef with your bare hands.....
I have no male ego issues with an automatic. My Mercedes is an automatic. So was the 7-series Bimmer I had before that. I just don't want an automatic on a Porsche. And FYI, I'm a vegan, so the beef reference was doubly foolish.

Those buffoonishly-exaggerated inferences are indicative of a narcissistic personality defending what he perceives as a challenge to his omniscience. I trust that wasn't what you intended to convey.

I have no gripe with Porsche adopting technology where it enhances the safety of the car in the hands of those with imperfect driving skills, which comprises most of us. Before ABS and PSM, the 911 was much easier than most cars to put in the weeds (or the wrong lane of traffic). For me, a power seat was a mandatory option, due to back problems. Ditto the tilt/telescopic steering column. A hands-free bluetooth for the 'phone is likewise mandatory for me in a car with a stick.

But I know I am not alone in thinking that car makers today appear in a race to see who can cram the most electronic gadgetry into their product, like they did with chrome and tailfins in the 50s. Cars that stop themselves and park themselves are one CPU away from driving themselves. If what you want is an iPad shaped like a Porsche, then the 991 is certainly a step in your direction. Those of us who want a sports car with more physical involvement in the driving, I guess will have to look to the secondhand market.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:11 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by SSST
I did test to see if it would stop the car, and it will.
A concern of mine is that it might not work in a real emergency when all systems may have failed. There's something reassuring about a physical connection between the emergency brake lever and the actual brakes that does not rely on electronics.

I also use it when stopped on an incline to avoid riding the clutch.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:28 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Charlie C
A concern of mine is that it might not work in a real emergency when all systems may have failed. There's something reassuring about a physical connection between the emergency brake lever and the actual brakes that does not rely on electronics.

I'll admit up front, I prefer a manual handbrake not least because it's what I'm used to. That said, I've adjusted to using the electric EB in my Cayenne S and it's not that big of a deal. It can perform the same functions as the mechanical brake, for example during emergency stops and holding on hills that you mention. It's actually particularly suited to the latter as it releases automatically when you press the throttle. You're right, there's no mechanical connection to an electric EB, but then there isn't one to your throttle either, and that's a critical interface that's utilized far more often. I guess we should be concerned about that too.....
Old 04-09-2012, 08:54 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I'll admit up front, I prefer a manual handbrake not least because it's what I'm used to. That said, I've adjusted to using the electric EB in my Cayenne S and it's not that big of a deal. It can perform the same functions as the mechanical brake, for example during emergency stops and holding on hills that you mention. It's actually particularly suited to the latter as it releases automatically when you press the throttle. You're right, there's no mechanical connection to an electric EB, but then there isn't one to your throttle either, and that's a critical interface that's utilized far more often. I guess we should be concerned about that too.....
True I would be more concerned about not stopping than not accelerating. They can both get you in trouble but given the choice, I'd rather NOT have the brakes fail.

It's only happened to me once and it was not in a Porsche. But since we're calling it an emergency brake, it should work in all emergencies.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:14 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

True I would be more concerned about not stopping than not accelerating. They can both get you in trouble but given the choice, I'd rather NOT have the brakes fail.

It's only happened to me once and it was not in a Porsche. But since we're calling it an emergency brake, it should work in all emergencies.
Entering a busy street and having a throttle interface fail can be pretty dramatic too, but I get your point about brakes and throttles. OTOH, I've had a throttle jam open due to a bound throttle cable and it was extremely exciting; it's never happend with an E-throttle. In any event, Porsche says in the owner's manual of my Cayenne that the electric EB can be used effectively for emergency stops. Can it fail? Of course. Mechanical emergency brake cables and linkages can fail too. Nothing is foolproof.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 04-09-2012 at 11:30 PM. Reason: sp
Old 04-09-2012, 09:25 PM
gerenb
Intermediate

Well, I personally purchased the 991 because of its manual parking brake and was SHOCKED to discover it was electronic. I must return this car immediately, if not sooner.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:04 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
A hands-free bluetooth for the 'phone is likewise mandatory for me in a car with a stick.
what?????

I thought you was hardcore man. I thought you were 100% schumacher all the time.

you would...drive an almighty 911 and talk on the phone? no way that could be...you got a race car there.

You must really be involved with the driving experience while blabbing on your cell phone.

are these guys serious? really?
Old 04-09-2012, 10:06 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

ever snap a handbrake cable?
Old 04-09-2012, 11:14 PM
Zmoney3982
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

GerenB, hilarious post.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:21 AM
gerenb
Intermediate

Actually, I don't even use the parking brake. According to Porsche's own documentation, using the parking brake when the brakes are hot can deform the rotors.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:57 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
ever snap a handbrake cable?
You bet.

If I can trust flying commercial airliners, I think I can trust using a car with a cable-less e-brake. (Even if the button, well, feels and looks wrong.)
Old 04-10-2012, 03:33 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by fbroen
You bet.

If I can trust flying commercial airliners, I think I can trust using a car with a cable-less e-brake. (Even if the button, well, feels and looks wrong.)
I use the thing simply because I loathe the way PDK behaves like an automatic and lets the car roll onto the "P" parking lock like a family minivan.

Quick Reply: Electric parking brake