Sponsored by:

Who parks outdoors? (gasp!)

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 12:27 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts
Default Who parks outdoors? (gasp!)

Anyone park their P-car outside? Any clever tips, words of wisdom?

Sold 997 was a week end car garage queen. Incoming 991 will be a true daily driver AND will be parked outside.

Recently moved to a historic home/district and am very lucky to at least have off-street driveway.

Car covers always seem suspect to me as I would be afraid of chafing and scratching underneath? (Plus it is of course easier to not use one.)

In some ways -- by this car not being put on such a pedestal, and it being outside and not perfectly shined at all times -- i think will provide more enjoyment than the will-it-rain-today-garage dweller.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:29 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

I have seen this solution locally, and I may be able to get the something like it by the permitting process of the Historic Preservation Committee, but I am not counting on it:

Last edited by fbroen; 03-30-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:58 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

I've gone the car cover route for a daily driver years ago and it really is not a practical solution. At a minimum, you should dust the car before the cover goes on, and clean and dry the cover when it gets dirty and wet. You will also look ridiculous going through this ritual in your parking situation! I'd just keep the car well waxed or sealed, although bird crap seems to burn right through all of these coatings anyway.
Maybe if you're a fanatic, you should have held out for a garage?
Old 03-30-2012, 04:59 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Thanks WCE, you just gave me all the excuses I was hoping for to avoid using a car cover.

I may get a cover for an emergency in a hail storm. Do they make padded ones?

(On the garage front -- not too much to hold out for in the immediate area where we want to be -- houses built in the 1700-1800s....and location comes before car well being in the hierarchy.)
Old 03-30-2012, 05:12 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 474 Likes on 272 Posts

Any pics of the house....I love old houses!!!!

Tom
Old 03-30-2012, 05:16 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

I live in an old house and there is no garage and I've never had a garage for any of my Porsches or sports cars ever.

I keep them waxed and detailed and go with the flow....I'm 64 so that's worked very well for me over the years. Cars are cars and I don't get overly excited about things I can't control.

Good Luck,

Tom
Old 03-30-2012, 05:48 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Are you able to access the rear of the property with the car, if so it may be a great place to park out of site.
At the end of your driveway maybe create a coral to park the buggy no higher than 5' with lightweight wooden gates, making it look uniform to the property takes the eyes from the car at street level.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:57 PM
cmb13
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I live near the beach in a small house with a small garage. We keep our cars outside (BMW & MB currently). If I get a 991, and I probably will, it may end up outside also. Not ideal, but I don't plan on buying it for future value anyway. There are a lot of nice cars kept outside in my neighborhood, including a new Bentley convertible and a 997 911 Turbo. Then again, the guy with the Bentley keeps his 85' yacht outside too!
Old 03-30-2012, 08:24 PM
quibbs
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cmb13
Then again, the guy with the Bentley keeps his 85' yacht outside too!
lol
Old 03-30-2012, 08:32 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

There was an ad for a garage that came out from a garden and a Porsche went in, and the garage went back into the ground. Can't seem to find it, but it might do the trick. If the committee does not approve, you could work on this and smuggle the earth out little by little. Or build a garage to look like a 85' yacht. Cheers.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:57 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by WCE
I'd just keep the car well waxed or sealed, although bird crap seems to burn right through all of these coatings anyway.
That's the most important thing: keep it washed and waxed. That includes getting the leaves out of the wiper area and the engine cover. Most important is to protect against rats, mice, squirrels and the like -- they love a warm engine on a cold night and have a diverse palette with an apetite for wiring and insulation, cabin air and engine air filters, etc. You also have to admit to your insurer that the car is not garaged. I recommend baited traps and poison boxes. Be careful to put the traps where they can't kill birds or injure larger animals, lizards, etc. Use poison boxes to get the smaller varmints -- these use high doses of Vitamin K which breaks down the clotting agents in blood and the animal bleeds to death without becoming a threat of poisoning larger animals higher up the food chain. Don't leave out exposed poison or a dog will eat it and need an immediate dose of medicine to reverse the K poisoning. The K poison will make them feel sick, they return to their nest (usually taking the K poison block with them, sharing it with the rest of the nest and they all croak in the nest.) My gardener has unearthed mice nests 500 feet from the house with dozens and dozens of dead and stock piles of poison they've transported from the barn apparently to re-enact a rodent mass suicide pact.

Don't forget that a car becomes a home to some pretty large squatters, so you have to be careful that something like a large air filter doesn't become an open door. The engine compartment of the 991 is completely open underneath. The only deterrent I've found to work is synthetic predator urine that has to be spray liberally in the surrounding area ... leaving large deposits at frequent intervals to create a perimeter. I don't pretend to be an expert, you need to talk to a local independent general hardware store operator with this kind of stuff in stock and they'll advise on the local product that works (usually coyote or fox.)

Keeping the home parking area clean and clear of dirt and leaves with a clear boundary will go a long way to discouraging chance passersby from considering taking up residency. I find that a thorough pressure-wash and hose down with biodegradable driveway cleaner leaves enough of an unpleasant (to us, "clean") smell that I don't find evidence of trespassers for weeks or until the next rainy or cold spell.

You might think this is cruel or somehow avoidable and maybe so, but don't ever visit a commercial "organic" farm or eat anything that's grown if you're sensitive to killing off pests. :}
Old 04-01-2012, 08:08 PM
waiting for PDK
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Rejex.

Some here don't like it because its 'too shiny' but applied properly one coat will last through two Chicago winters.

A car cover won't work since you'll be putting it over a dirty car thus just adding scratches (assuming you don't wash the car every time you return home). Plus, every time you leave your house, you would have to fold up and put the cover somewhere. Without a garage, the spouse-approved storage options for a dirty or wet tarp get a little limited.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:18 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TommyV44
Any pics of the house....I love old houses!!!!

Tom
tommyV - i assume that pic u use is your car - what blue is that?
Old 04-01-2012, 11:44 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cpa4S
tommyV - i assume that pic u use is your car - what blue is that?
Blur Turquiose......special order PTS color.........code 3AS.......copied Dan's (Edgy's) on this site.......loooooooovvvvvvvvveeeeeeee it!

Here's a better look:

Thanks,

Tom
Old 04-02-2012, 12:09 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Wow, that blue is awesome.

Thanks all for helpful tips. Very much appreciated.

I knew full well when went for this house location that cars would have to sit outside, but after having lived in a place with garages and lots of space, we just wanted to get back to walk-able down town and the historic district, and a smaller house -- and if the cars would have to sit outside, so be it -- they are after all meant to be used outdoors, ha!

Besides, the car is already getting some training in that area. It was finished on March 2, and I can only assume that it is sitting outside at Zuffenhausen at the moment awaiting our pickup...

Tommy V44 -- PM sent re house pic (sorry, am a bit weird about Internet privacy.)

Quick Reply: Who parks outdoors? (gasp!)