Newbie needs help with new 991 build. Sunroof? European Delivery

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 05:31 PM
typecase
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Newbie needs help with new 991 build. Sunroof? European Delivery

Hello,

I'm new to the Porsche game having owned only bimmers before this. This would be my first Porsche and my first post on this forum (lurked for a while). I've placed an order for a new 991. The allocation is for a May build which is later than I wanted but I guess I'm tired of waiting since I ordered it in February . I'm not sure my dealer knows too much as I got the run around about European delivery with conflicting information from Porsche themselves. My questions are:

1) Can I turn my allocation for this May build into a ED car? My dealer says no but he has been untrustworthy in the past, saying that ED costs money (it's a no cost option), that ED is not available for the 991 (According to Porsche, it is), etc.

2) I'm really ambivalent about the sunroof. What are you opinions? All my BMWs have had sunroofs. On a nice day, it's nice to have but I don't use all that often so I could go either way. My dealer says I should get it. Does it have any downsides?

3) Is a May build too late? I understand that June builds are 2013s.

4) Does anyone know what the no cost two-tone leather is? The website and my dealer are not too much help. I have a Luxor Beige interior ordered.

5) Should I get the auto folding mirrors? I like that they have puddle lights but it just one more thing that could fail. Recommendations?

Heres: My confirguration at present :

Base 911
Bose Audio Package
Premium Package
Luxor Beige Interior
Steering wheel heating
Multi Function steering wheel

I'm confused. Any help you can shed would be greatly appreciated. I think I have a few days left before the build is locked.

Last edited by typecase; 03-28-2012 at 05:36 PM. Reason: added some questions
Old 03-28-2012, 05:37 PM
19_hole
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I can say is if you don't really trust the dealer that you are about to give $100+ to you need to find a new dealer!

Get the sunroof......
Old 03-28-2012, 05:43 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

Yes you can turn it into a Euro delivery, it takes a bit of work but Porsche should be able to do that. I turned an allocation into euro delivery with 30 days notice. The sunroof in the 991 is a fine piece of engineering. The practically the entire roof panel moves for exposure and is seemless. For resale alone the sunroof is worth the expense. Only downside is rigidity but unless you're competing with it not much of a loss. ED is a no cost option but the entire procedure varies with the dealer.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:31 PM
97c2s993
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

I would get the sunroof, as mentioned above it will help in a resale for sure. When it's closed you can hardly tell there is a sunroof since as the lines are cleverly integrated (unlike sunroofs of old which had a round corner rectangular outline in the middle of your roof). I have it and love it.

As for the two-tone, once you've ordered full leather interior, a two-tone combination is available at no additional cost: the options are Agate Grey/Pebble Grey (almost white), or Black/Platinum Grey. I have the latter and like the contrast in colors as well as the grey stitching in the black. Please see my post for pics.

Don't know about the folding mirrors as I don't have them, nor the park assist or multi function wheel. I felt these were creature comforts going a bit too far for a Porsche, but I respect if others feel they need them.
Hope this helps!
Old 03-28-2012, 09:33 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

if you are getting PDK you need to read more about sport chrono and understand the difference between the paddle shifters & the stupid ones on the multi-function steering wheel.

simple things like heated seats can be an option - watch out & don't assume things are standard so triple check the packages list
Old 03-28-2012, 10:52 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

You might want to consider going to a different dealer. ED should be simple as it does not come out of their allocation. I may be in the minority as I don't like the sunroof. It is a possible weight savings option for me. Cheers.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:20 AM
TSpyder
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Others have answered your Q's pretty well. All I can add is that it sounds like your dealer is not well-versed in ED. Even with BMW, which has a far more popular and stable ED program, some dealers are essentially ignorant of the program, or don't care to accommodate ED customers.

As for the auto folding mirrors, I've ordered them b/c it's a tight squeeze to fit 4 cars in my 4-car garage. The two of my four cars with folding mirrors get them folded every time they're parked in the garage. OTOH, I virtually never use the option outside my garage, so wouldn't order it otherwise.

Spyder
Old 03-29-2012, 01:36 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Few dealers are familiar with ED. Many just don't want to take the time to learn, either. Find one who will (if you have others nearby, of course).

The folding mirrors are only needed if you routinely park parallel on narrow streets; otherwise, it's another gimmic.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:45 AM
jdsc
Intermediate

Regarding ED, as I understand it, Porsche has shifted the cost to the dealer from the customer so the client no longer pays for it. My salesman said he would be happy to do it, but he would not be able to discount the car. So, it now becomes a negotiated item if you want a good price, and may be why some dealers don't want to deal with it if they can avoid it. I believe there is an incentive to the dealer to do an ED though. As I understand it, an ED car is not counted against his allocation. So, he in effect gets an extra car to sell.

As far as the sunroof, that box is checked on my order sheet. Can't have a sports car without one.....just my point of view.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:50 AM
typecase
Advanced

Thanks for the great feedback. I think I'm gonna get the sunroof.

What do you guys think about the build date? Is it worth waiting for the 2013s, or should I just be happy and get a late build '12

Quick Reply: Newbie needs help with new 991 build. Sunroof? European Delivery