991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991S or M3

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 03:07 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, new poster on this forum. Got my 911s about 3 weeks ago (agate grey with agate grey int., pdk, chrono etc. etc.). Owned an E90 (M3 Sedan) which I just sold separately, didn't trade in. The 911s really satisfies the sports car "want" for sure. Go for it! It's a blast to drive!
Old 03-27-2012, 09:46 AM
vitaman
Advanced

The Burmester and the PCCB's are big $ items but there's a reason that people want them. Having your wheels always looking clean is wonderful when you are used to them only looking good for a day or so after they've been attended to. And the Burmester is a truly great system. I would listen to the 2 back to back with your own MP3 or CD because the Bose itself is arguably the best they have ever made for a car.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:57 AM
Kelderek
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bobbyd
Buying new ONLY makes financial sense IF you keep the car AT LEAST 10 years, otherwise the depreciation will kill you, especially in new Porsche's.
Agreed, but if "financial sense" was the most important parameter we would all be driving something else than Porsches... or ride the bus!
Old 03-27-2012, 04:54 PM
991 3Turbo
Racer

Originally Posted by gota911
+1, don't trade it. If nothing else, take it to a Carmax dealer and get a 20 minute appraisal/offer amount for the car. I got $1,200 more from Carmax for my '08 Honda Accord than the Porsche dealer offered me on trade-in.
It would appear to me that if you sold it to CarMax for 1800 more, then went out and bought the Porsche, you lost a significant amount of money by losing the tax advantage of the trade in. On a 90k car, paying a full 6% tax, you would have paid the full tax of 5400 rather than just the tax difference over your old car..

I totally agree that private sell is good if you are not buying another.

In/Out sell at dealer with private seller also an option. Best of both worlds.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:13 PM
skinzy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a S cab coming in May. Loaded. My conclusion was why skimp on the last 10%. I plan on owning for 10 + thus want it to be right. Bermester is a must!
Old 03-28-2012, 07:43 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 991 3Turbo
It would appear to me that if you sold it to CarMax for 1800 more, then went out and bought the Porsche, you lost a significant amount of money by losing the tax advantage of the trade in. On a 90k car, paying a full 6% tax, you would have paid the full tax of 5400 rather than just the tax difference over your old car..

I totally agree that private sell is good if you are not buying another.

In/Out sell at dealer with private seller also an option. Best of both worlds.
In many states, your statement would be true. However, South Carolina state sales tax on vehicles is 5.0%, up to a MAXIMUM of $300.00. Yes, three hundred dollars.

Since the delta between the Porsche I bought and the Honda I sold was more than $6,000 ($300 / 5.0% = $6,000 sale value of maximum tax) no tax advantage was "lost" by not trading the Honda to the Porsche dealer.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:21 PM
stom_m3
Instructor

Wow. $300 Maximum tax! Wonder how well that would go over for us here in California. I live in such a bleeding heart state it kills me. I'm going to have to pay $10k in taxes....ugghh!
Old 03-28-2012, 04:44 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by stom_m3
Thanks for all the suggestions. Here's what I spec'd out. Now I need to decide between need and want. Of course, opinions may differ but let's just keep it as show stopper/not show stopper.

911 Carrera S - $96,400 (Need - I want the S over base because of the adds and power)

Burmester $5,010 (Want - I could probably ditch this but it also comes with the CD changer and the Sirius Sat player)

Premium PP with Adaptive Sport Seats $6,155 (Want - I only want 3 features from this package, Dynamic Lighting, Entry and Drive and Lighting package. I can only get the Lighting Package separately.)

Carrara White $0

Black leather interior $3,330 (Need - Love the stiched dash)

Sunroof $1,490 (Want - Never really used it in the 997S because the buffeting. I hear that the new one is better)

Sport Exhaust $2,950 (Want - I had this on my 997S and loved it)

Sport Chrono $2,370 (Want - On my 997S, I never used it much but I liked the added benefit of being able to program other features such as, lighting)

PDCC w/ PASM $4,050 (Want - I like the idea of a manufactured lowered vehicle. Saves me from having to do it)

PCCB $8,520 (Want - I had these on my 997S and loved the lack of brake dust and feel)

PDK $4,080 (Need - The agreement for me being able to get one is that the misses has to be able to drive it)

Carrera Classic wheel $1,170 (Want - Like the looks sligthtly better than the stocker)

Seat belts in Racing Yellow $540 (Want - Cheap add on that matches the brake calipers. My 997S was done this way and it was a nice accent)

Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way) $0 (Need - I have to have the sports seats. I like the extra support for my frame; 5'8" @ 160lbs. The non-adaptives seem a bit wider)

Leather Center tunnel rear in leather $1,190 (Want - I could probably ditch this too. But I love the look)

Crest on headrests $285 (Want - Cheap add on that I think looks nice)

SportDesign steering wheel $490 (Need - Gotta have the paddles.)

Destination Charge: $950

Total Price* $138,980

So no doubt I could get the price down. I need to weigh the choices. I really wanted this build to be my ultiimate build but that might have to wait. The "needs" add to about $108k w/ an additional $25k of HUGE "want" and $5k of nice to haves. Possibly I'm putting too much emotion in this. I really wanted to have a Burger King, "have it the way I want it" kind of order. Damn I hate reality.
Champagne tastes on a beer budget.

I didn't skimp on the options and came up to $120K with PDCC, PSE, etc.

Since the question is financials, not a car comparison, I'd suggest the following bullet points:

* interest rates are zero, borrow or lease, don't buy
* you kept the 997 for about five years -- the 991 will depreciate about the same as the 997 Carrera and that dollar amount won't be much more than the equivalent M3, but I'll leave it to others to do the actual comparison there, but let's say it's within $10K
* options have zero residual or resale value ... a highly optioned car is not consistent with a cost-conscious motoring

There's so much potential in the base Carrera, I think it's the pick of the litter -- get a simple white over black, no options, just PDK and sunroof delete (I think PDK will represent 90%+ of 991's and that goes to resale value.)

I think it's important to push for discount up front. Some say they're getting 5% already.

Quick Reply: 991S or M3