Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991S or M3

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 02:22 PM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

1) Reduce your build. It's over the top. when I was playing around with the config I was around 120K nicely equiped.

2) Consider a nice CPO 997 Turbo or maybe a pre-owned GTS until 991's hit the used market.

3) Nothing wrong with the M3 and I'm sure it will be great, but it ain't no porsche.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:54 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a very over the top build for some one not wishing to spend $150K. I wouldn't want to spend that much either, unless I was looking at a turbo.
Lots of that can be stricken off without any loss of enjoyment. It will be quicker for me to tell you want you must leave on: the S, PDK, Sport Chrono, Sport Exhaust, SportDesign Steering, Full leather, Bose stereo and just with those you will have one kick *** car that you will love.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:17 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 580 Posts

There's no way i'd spend that much for a 911 unless it was a GT3/RS or a TT or you have money to burn. You could get a 997 TTS, a F430, GT3RS etc., for that kind of money.

All those options you have specced will not yield much in resale. Now if this is one you'll keep for 10+ years and want it exactly that way - then go for it.

I'd get a spec to $110K and go C2S or just go M3 and specc it to death.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:17 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

As this will be your weekend fun car, only you can decide if an M3 will be acceptable. But I suspect it will not.

As a former owner of a BMW M3 myself, I would be happy to own one again as my DD, but not as my weekend toy. As many have stated, your 991S spec is a bit overboard. If it were me, for less money than a new 991S, I'd also think about a used 997.2 GT3, GT3 RS, a 993TT or even the new Boxster S.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:24 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by stom_m3
Thanks for all the suggestions. Here's what I spec'd out. Now I need to decide between need and want. Of course, opinions may differ but let's just keep it as show stopper/not show stopper.

911 Carrera S - $96,400 (Need - I want the S over base because of the adds and power)

Burmester $5,010 (Want - I could probably ditch this but it also comes with the CD changer and the Sirius Sat player)

Premium PP with Adaptive Sport Seats $6,155 (Want - I only want 3 features from this package, Dynamic Lighting, Entry and Drive and Lighting package. I can only get the Lighting Package separately.)

Carrara White $0

Black leather interior $3,330 (Need - Love the stiched dash)

Sunroof $1,490 (Want - Never really used it in the 997S because the buffeting. I hear that the new one is better)

Sport Exhaust $2,950 (Want - I had this on my 997S and loved it)

Sport Chrono $2,370 (Want - On my 997S, I never used it much but I liked the added benefit of being able to program other features such as, lighting)

PDCC w/ PASM $4,050 (Want - I like the idea of a manufactured lowered vehicle. Saves me from having to do it)

PCCB $8,520 (Want - I had these on my 997S and loved the lack of brake dust and feel)

PDK $4,080 (Need - The agreement for me being able to get one is that the misses has to be able to drive it)

Carrera Classic wheel $1,170 (Want - Like the looks sligthtly better than the stocker)

Seat belts in Racing Yellow $540 (Want - Cheap add on that matches the brake calipers. My 997S was done this way and it was a nice accent)

Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way) $0 (Need - I have to have the sports seats. I like the extra support for my frame; 5'8" @ 160lbs. The non-adaptives seem a bit wider)

Leather Center tunnel rear in leather $1,190 (Want - I could probably ditch this too. But I love the look)

Crest on headrests $285 (Want - Cheap add on that I think looks nice)

SportDesign steering wheel $490 (Need - Gotta have the paddles.)

Destination Charge: $950

Total Price* $138,980

So no doubt I could get the price down. I need to weigh the choices. I really wanted this build to be my ultiimate build but that might have to wait. The "needs" add to about $108k w/ an additional $25k of HUGE "want" and $5k of nice to haves. Possibly I'm putting too much emotion in this. I really wanted to have a Burger King, "have it the way I want it" kind of order. Damn I hate reality.
You won't be able to hear the Burmester with the car in Sport+

PCCB is killing you if it's just the dust-free aspect you really love. Steel brakes feel pretty damn rock hard.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:40 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default M3 Option

OP - I have a 2011 M3 convertible that I considering terming / assigning the lease early. If interested, the car is jerez black / bamboo, DCT, OEM 19's, and loaded with every option. Lease ends in 13 months, so might be a great option for you to get into a cherry car that you only have to drive for a short tim committment. if interested, let me know and I will PM you details Thanks
Old 03-19-2012, 05:43 PM
stom_m3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all. The original thought in spec'ing out the car was that I was going to keep if for 10 years and wanted to build it how I would ultimately want a long term car. Amoritzing an additional 10-20k over 10 years is not much. Of course, after it all added up, I'm beginning to have second thoughts on it. Back in '06, I paid $108k for 997S, PCCB, Sport exhaust, Sport wheel, Bose, short shifter, sports chrono, yellow belts, head crests, Navigation, adaptive sport seats, full leather, stainless door sills etc. I was hoping to spec something out similar for a little more but not $40k more. Guess that's the reality of inflation and technology.

I found a path to get down to $110k or so. Now I just have to figure out if it will make me happy.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:15 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not like a $110-115k car won't be an excellent long term car. But if you seriously plan on keeping the car for 10 yrs, then by all means go for the exact build you want (just for the psychological benefit) as when keeping the car that long, the numbers start to make financial sense. Hell, you could add another $10k to your build and still be quite wise financially if you indeed keep the car 10 yrs.

Personally, I don't like keeping a car beyond 5 yrs, so I would draw the line for a 991S at 120k.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:47 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 756 Likes on 552 Posts

Unfortunately, the logical or rational thing says that a M3 will probably do everything the New 991 can for a lesser price.....but not to confuse but buying a 911 is never rational........
Old 03-19-2012, 08:52 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I ran the numbers on a 991S Cab as well and for the money I was way ahead sticking with my antique and feeble 06 997S Cab. When you do a direct price comparison with comparable options it's amazing how quickly the 991 adds up.

Stick to the PCCBs--but only it you keep the car. There is no sense in paying for that if you flip cars as often as it appears that you do. You're only doing a favor for the next guy.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:00 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

when i bought my 997.2 i paid 64k otd brand new.. and m3 was same price.... 997.2 was better choice..

but if i was comparing 150k to 75k.. thats a diff story... id vote m3... but then again i'd wait for the new body style m3 coming out... hell they even abandoned euro delivery for the m3... it's def on way out.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:57 AM
bobbyd
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buying new ONLY makes financial sense IF you keep the car AT LEAST 10 years, otherwise the depreciation will kill you, especially in new Porsche's.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:46 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

I have an e92 M3 that I'm trading in on a basic 991 carrera with 7MT. I can honestly say that the power is over the top for any but the most expert of drivers. Great feel, great sports car and truly a usable coupe. The M3 rear seats actually fit real lifesize humans and the boot is ample. A pass through door allows longer objects like skis if you are so inclined. All the bells and whistles 75k. Great car which realistically rarely if ever uses those 400+ horses. It's also a heavy car, in feel, in comparison to the 991. The Porsche is sorted, it's not a 2 door sedan converted to a sportscar. The M3 feels like more of a GT, though the new interior of the 991 is pushing towards a GT as well. I feel much more connected in the 991 and realistically don't need the extra 50 horses just work the gearbox a bit more, but that's my preference. Also the new PDK is lightyears ahead of the DCT, lightyears. I believe that they keep it in fully auto for their 'Ring times, no shifting because the unit does such a great job. I prefer a manual but that horse has been beaten to death. Total cost of porsche 86K with euro delivery. On a side note, you only live once and I agree the 140k is a bit rich, but some things in life can't be measured with dollars. I liked my M3 but it just isn't the same.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:21 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by race7117
I have an e92 M3 that I'm trading in on a basic 991 carrera with 7MT. I can honestly say that the power is over the top for any but the most expert of drivers. Great feel, great sports car and truly a usable coupe. The M3 rear seats actually fit real lifesize humans and the boot is ample. A pass through door allows longer objects like skis if you are so inclined. All the bells and whistles 75k. Great car which realistically rarely if ever uses those 400+ horses. It's also a heavy car, in feel, in comparison to the 991. The Porsche is sorted, it's not a 2 door sedan converted to a sportscar. The M3 feels like more of a GT, though the new interior of the 991 is pushing towards a GT as well. I feel much more connected in the 991 and realistically don't need the extra 50 horses just work the gearbox a bit more, but that's my preference. Also the new PDK is lightyears ahead of the DCT, lightyears. I believe that they keep it in fully auto for their 'Ring times, no shifting because the unit does such a great job. I prefer a manual but that horse has been beaten to death. Total cost of porsche 86K with euro delivery. On a side note, you only live once and I agree the 140k is a bit rich, but some things in life can't be measured with dollars. I liked my M3 but it just isn't the same.
Just please don't trade it in! Sell it!!!
I know it's less headache for you,but you're going to lose quite some money by trading it in.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:25 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Just please don't trade it in! Sell it!!!
I know it's less headache for you,but you're going to lose quite some money by trading it in.
+1, don't trade it. If nothing else, take it to a Carmax dealer and get a 20 minute appraisal/offer amount for the car. I got $1,200 more from Carmax for my '08 Honda Accord than the Porsche dealer offered me on trade-in.

Quick Reply: 991S or M3