Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 drives like the Audi R8

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 04:40 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is lime gold metallic a premium color, costs twice as much as the other metallic colors.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:39 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SharpMan
I've got a 991 test car for a week and I have to say...it seems they bench-marked the Audi R8.

Especially in ride quality. I can't believe how compliant and comfortable the SPASM suspension is in Sport+. On the regular setting it's frankly luxurious...like Mercedes S-Class luxurious. I'm not kidding.

Interior quality is another area they've also obviously looked to the best in class (Audi) for direction. Great material and control responses.

Sport Exhaust in Sport+ is insanely awesome.

I'd say the 991 is more a GT with super car looks and performance. Overall feel though doesn't have me pining for one as a weekend toy.

If I had a long commute I think it would be ideal.
I don't agree with your observations much at all. Maybe get a second week with the 991 or seat time in an R8.

If you consider Audi "best in class" other than aging instrumentation design, I think VW thanks you for the baseless brand affinity.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:47 AM
Rushman71
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've spent plenty of time in the R8 in both V8 and V10 form and to say it feels anything like the 991 has no basis in reality. The R8 in all forms including GT form is typical Audi; an understeer machine. I can't even remember the last time an Audi was known for great handling. The 991 is 4 seconds faster around the ring than the V10 R8 despite giving up 120hp! Audi is far more concerned with interior and exterior styling than they are with handling.

The last R8 I drove was a non GT V10 and it was simply frustrating, ZERO FUN. It was obviously designed so even the most ham fisted, or footed in this case, hedge fund manager couldn't accidentally get it to swap ends even after a lunch made up of nothing but The Macallan.

Funny how posts like these seem to be the norm from 997 owners.

Last edited by Rushman71; 03-18-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:41 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Yes, Audi will be replacing R-Tronic with a PDK-type transmission soon. Here is an interesting thread on R8Talk of how the other side is comparing the new 991 to their own R8's: http://www.r8talk.com/forums/5-gener...91-review.html

Saludos, z356 (Carmel)
There's some "interesting" comments and comparisons in the Audi camp and some generous interpretations of what they've read in the media reviews.

I think it's fair to say that it's a flattering comparison for Porsche. The 991 Carrera S (basically the execute express of the 911 line-up) versus the top shelf performance variants from other brands demonstrates the performance capabilities of the Carrera -- that's not to ignore the current 3.8 RS, let alone the 4.0 RS, which I think we have to assume will be the baseline for the 991 GT cars.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:27 PM
Storm Trooper
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gerenb
Since the 991 will be my daily driver, I love the fact that it can turn into a beast at the push of a button but can be smooth as butter in traffic. What if I want behavior that is somewhere in the middle? Is the regular Sport button still available with SC? How does it change the behavior of the car?
If you have all sport buttons off, the car shifts at 2,000 rpms. So it is very relaxed. Push Sport, and the car shifts at 4,000 rpms. So not so relaxed, but not anything like Sport +. In Sport + the car shifts at red line, and it also downshifts very quickly when you are cruising and then apply pressue to the throttle. In Sport + mode it's like the car is always ready to go crazy.

Now, the question may be this. Is there too much difference between Sport and Sport +. In other words, why does Sport shift at 4,000 rpms rather than, say 5,000? I think that at some point Porsche has to limit the number of different software shifting programs it builds into the car at the touch of a button, and if the driver doesn't like it, he or she can put the car in manual mode and shift with the paddles. That seems like a fair compromise.

So, if Sport is too relaxed for you, but Sport + is too crazy for you, drive in manual mode. Or, you can do what I do, is drive in Sport + but use my paddles to up-shift before redline so that it's not so crazy. Unless I'm hitting it hard through the canyons, where I'll just let the Sport + do its magic most of the time.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:50 PM
gerenb
Intermediate

Thanks for the info. The hard part will be keeping the revs low during the break-in period. That's a whole different discussion, though.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:50 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
There's some "interesting" comments and comparisons in the Audi camp and some generous interpretations of what they've read in the media reviews. I think it's fair to say that it's a flattering comparison for Porsche. The 991 Carrera S (basically the execute express of the 911 line-up) versus the top shelf performance variants from other brands demonstrates the performance capabilities of the Carrera -- that's not to ignore the current 3.8 RS, let alone the 4.0 RS, which I think we have to assume will be the baseline for the 991 GT cars.
Well, you hear everything from the R8Talk folks - from the intelligent to the inane. But here is some of the interesting speculation we have been hearing from 'insiders' now over one year re: the mid-engine Porsche model that is coming above the 991 line, to be a Ferrari 'fighter' and which could have some Porsche-R8 connection. See below:

http://www.insideline.com/porsche/po...-supercar.html

"Porsche reportedly is working on another new model, a midengine "supercar" that it intends to slot above the next-generation 911, but below its upcoming 918 Spyder, as a potential successor to the Carrera GT. As yet unnamed, the new midengine Porsche would be priced above $200,000 and aimed squarely at such European exotics as the Ferrari 458 Italia and the McLaren MP4-12C, according to Britain's Autocar....According to Autocar, the new midengine Porsche will be a "regular" rather than limited-edition model, with projected annual sales of 2,500-3,000 cars. A coupe and a roadster are under discussion....Depending on how much of its architecture is shared with the 918 Spyder, the new midengine Porsche could use that V8 or share the 560-hp 5.2-liter V10 from the Audi R8 GT. A third choice is the twin-turbocharged 3.6-liter flat-6 that develops 620 hp in the $245,000 911 Carrera GT2 RS."

And the Edmunds' Inside Line article continues with this very interesting quote:

"According to Autocar, the new midengine Porsche is not likely to share the next-generation Audi R8's aluminum space frame architecture. But it could employ another derivative of the Volkswagen Group's so-called MSS architecture, which is described by Britain's Car magazine as a "matrix conceived for future high-performance vehicles," primarily for the Porsche and Audi brands. According to Automotive News, Porsche has been charged within the VW Group with developing a new sports-car components matrix that can be adapted for front-, mid- and rear/midengine cars for Porsche, Audi and Lamborghini."

So I am tracking very carefully what Audi does with the next R8 platform which is about to be announced & introduced. I might give us some clue as to what innovations the VW group is experimenting with re: MSS architecture which could be cross-shared with future Porsche models coming our way.

Saludos,
Eduardo (Z356)
Carmel
Old 03-18-2012, 08:27 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I don't agree with your observations much at all. Maybe get a second week with the 991 or seat time in an R8.

If you consider Audi "best in class" other than aging instrumentation design, I think VW thanks you for the baseless brand affinity.
That's fine but any whether you choose Audi, Porsche or VW you will earn you the thanks of Volkswagen as they own all three brands.

Originally Posted by Rushman71
I've spent plenty of time in the R8 in both V8 and V10 form and to say it feels anything like the 991 has no basis in reality. The R8 in all forms including GT form is typical Audi; an understeer machine. I can't even remember the last time an Audi was known for great handling. The 991 is 4 seconds faster around the ring than the V10 R8 despite giving up 120hp! Audi is far more concerned with interior and exterior styling than they are with handling.

The last R8 I drove was a non GT V10 and it was simply frustrating, ZERO FUN. It was obviously designed so even the most ham fisted, or footed in this case, hedge fund manager couldn't accidentally get it to swap ends even after a lunch made up of nothing but The Macallan.

Funny how posts like these seem to be the norm from 997 owners.
You'll like this even better then. You're right...it doesn't drive like an R8. After three days I'm pretty sure the 991 is effectively a two-door Panamera.

Don't get me wrong, I like it. But from the size to the mechanical refinement it's much less a 'sports car' feel. Sport+ is lots of fun.

If anything I think the 991 is more supercar/GT in terms of looks and performance. Definitely more dramatic and gets lots of looks.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:31 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Storm Trooper
If you have all sport buttons off, the car shifts at 2,000 rpms. So it is very relaxed. Push Sport, and the car shifts at 4,000 rpms. So not so relaxed, but not anything like Sport +. In Sport + the car shifts at red line, and it also downshifts very quickly when you are cruising and then apply pressue to the throttle. In Sport + mode it's like the car is always ready to go crazy.

Now, the question may be this. Is there too much difference between Sport and Sport +. In other words, why does Sport shift at 4,000 rpms rather than, say 5,000? I think that at some point Porsche has to limit the number of different software shifting programs it builds into the car at the touch of a button, and if the driver doesn't like it, he or she can put the car in manual mode and shift with the paddles. That seems like a fair compromise.

So, if Sport is too relaxed for you, but Sport + is too crazy for you, drive in manual mode. Or, you can do what I do, is drive in Sport + but use my paddles to up-shift before redline so that it's not so crazy. Unless I'm hitting it hard through the canyons, where I'll just let the Sport + do its magic most of the time.
Definitely agree. I've been driving it in Sport+ Manual pretty much all the time except when cruising on the highway.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:47 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

the leather and the seats in the 991 are straight from audi.
quality is definitely down from the 997 imo.
there's more leather, but it's cheaper leather.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:40 PM
jago
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

After my briefest of sitdowns in the 991 I can echo the poster who complimented the control responses. The touch screen blew away updated ford sync, as I guess it should lol!
Old 03-19-2012, 04:15 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by jago
After my briefest of sitdowns in the 991 I can echo the poster who complimented the control responses. The touch screen blew away updated ford sync, as I guess it should lol!
The Microsoft Sync in my 2010 F150 is still the most intuitive and functional system that I've ever used when paired with an external device like an iPhone. To put it simply -- it just works. I've had numerous issues dealing with 997 interfaces and my iPhone - and was having issues with my iPhone and the 991 interfacing at the IAA...Frankly, I wish Porsche had an option to just get rid of the stupid screen which will look extremely dated in relatively short-order in their supposed sports car...Look how horrendously dated the PCM 2.1 console in the pre-2009 997 models looks already...

Furthermore, after owning three Porsches, flying to Frankfurt and visiting the official unveiling of the 991 at the IAA, getting a date with one of the Porsche girls working the floor, and for the first time in my life being able to afford a brand new 911 -- I'm almost in agreement with the R8 boards and no longer sure I even want one...
Old 03-25-2012, 12:10 AM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Storm Trooper

or just buy a manual

Quick Reply: 991 drives like the Audi R8