First 991 to buy the farm

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 06:57 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default First 991 to buy the farm

This happened in the Netherlands.

You guys be careful out there in your new Porsches. Best 911 ever built, but they still have to answer to the laws of physics!

Biggest lesson to take away here is - don't toss the key to your kid.

We'd hate to see your 991 become the second.

Peace, Out ...
Attached Images  
Old 03-11-2012, 11:25 AM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

So 30 seconds ago......
Old 03-11-2012, 12:56 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keys to the Kids?

Hell, when my kids get old enough to drive they will have to take up jobs to afford the cars they will buy. No way in hell I would let an inexperienced driver out of sight with a performance car!

Alas, I lament the loss and offer condolences.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:00 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Certainly made a thorough job of it.

ps. How much does he want for those seats ... (kidding! ... actually the calipers would be interesting ...)
Old 03-11-2012, 01:26 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 157 Posts

I let my girl friends 18 year old drive my 599. You should have seen his face. I was with him though. I think it's fun to share your toys. I would not have just thrown him the keys though. When I was 17 I had a 500hp GTO. I am lucky to have survived it.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:25 PM
Rushman71
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I got my license 24 years ago at 16, I had already been racing karts for 6 years and had a national championship under my belt. Then again, my street car was a '76 Datsun F10 with 70hp because all my money went to karting!

I was fortunate thought to drive a lot of fast cars young and never had an incident. The only road car accidents I have been in my entire life were me sitting still at a light getting hit from behind twice.
Anyway, poor 991. RIP
Old 03-11-2012, 06:28 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

I ascribe to the school of teaching kids to drive in performance cars and then putting them on the street in big, heavy cars (where secondary safety and physics help, and primary safety is compromised by the unreliable judgement of teenagers.) I learned to drive in a 327 Holden Monaro drag race car with a two speed high stall automatic ... it teaches your right foot to be respectful. My "daily driver" was the family station wagon (161 cubic inches of hell fire and at least 90 horsepower clawing at the ground through a "three on the tree" with no syncro on 1st, so that teaches you to double-de-clutch with even when drinking a milkshake and eating a hamburger while driving ... part of that "judgement problem" ... and drum brakes all round, with headlights that cast a dim, yellow puddle of light on the chrome of the front bumper ... teaches you something about braking distances and anticipation ... )
Old 03-13-2012, 05:13 PM
street
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

FYI, the expression, "bought the farm," comes from military aviation. Whenever a pilot went down in a corn field and burned up the crops, the feds had to compensate the farmer...buying the farm. At our local racetrack, the widow just needs to buy the Armco.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:49 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by street
FYI, the expression, "bought the farm," comes from military aviation. Whenever a pilot went down in a corn field and burned up the crops, the feds had to compensate the farmer...buying the farm. At our local racetrack, the widow just needs to buy the Armco.
I was half tempted to note that "bought the farm" was probably not quite the appropriate expression, but these days, anything that conveys the message is considered "good English" (spit.) In my efforts to define the expression, it means death by misadventure, not death or injury or embarrassment or stupidity, but an honorable death in the pursuit of life (that does not include driving an unfamiliar car in a way that one might lose control and risk the life of passersby or passengers.) The earliest derivation that makes sense to me is the slow variation of "bought land and retired" (a pun on retiring to a farm, but sarcastically meaning only to acquire enough land to be buried under and to "push up the daisies" etc.) This unfolded in parallel to more common expressions in non-war-times and countries other than the USA where war is not prevalent, such as the expression "kicked the bucket" which is now widely understood because of the movie "Bucket List" -- some mistook this to describe an actual bucket, kicking it and somehow falling to ones death, but was a more graphic reference to a bucket to capture the "waste" of a bedridden patient in their dying days, as they finally relaxed with their last breath, sometimes their bed pan would fall to the floor) and the expression itself makes no more sense than "curled his toes" neither of which are true, but they do convey a vivid and unambiguous message on the topic which tends to pursue everyone as time goes by (which is a reference to the same inevitability, which is itself yet another term in reference to the ultimate fate which tends to preoccupy us all at some point.)

For those entomologically inclined, there's snopes and Google as ever:
http://www.snopes.com/language/phrases/farm.asp
www.google.com/search?q=bought+the+farm
Old 03-13-2012, 07:30 PM
Rushman71
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool tidbit!
Old 03-13-2012, 08:28 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

OMG, you guys crack me up!

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I was half tempted to note that "bought the farm" was probably not quite the appropriate expression, but these days, anything that conveys the message is considered "good English" ...
I'm not so sure about about all that Adam.

Using street's definition it seems maybe the phrase was well chosen. (without knowing it) Whom ever bares financial responsibly for said 991 will have to pay for whatever flowers and shrubs that were ruined by this wayward flight path!

Bingo! They bought the farm!
Old 03-13-2012, 10:11 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

There were no kids involved in this accident between a Volvo and this 991. Why are us kids always blamed for what stupid adults do anyway? The only farm involved in this accident is the Dutch arm of 'State Farm' which is handling the insurance claim.

http://www.inautonews.com/video-new-...ash-in-holland

Saludos,
Eduardo
Youngster at heart!
Old 03-13-2012, 10:52 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Whatever
Old 03-14-2012, 04:13 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Bought the State Farm.

Hadn't thought of that...
Old 03-14-2012, 04:19 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RollingArt
I'm not so sure about about all that Adam.

Using street's definition it seems maybe the phrase was well chosen. (without knowing it) Whom ever bares financial responsibly for said 991 will have to pay for whatever flowers and shrubs that were ruined by this wayward flight path!

Bingo! They bought the farm!
I'm guessing buying the flower box is cheaper than buying the whole farm ... maybe that's more like "why would I pay for a cow when I've got milk at home" ... ?

: )

Anyway, hopefully those airbags served the occupants and everybody walked away.

ps. As someone who is convinced that those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it, I enjoy learning about how language gathers up and stores the lessons learned thoughout history and how the simplest turn of phrase carries meaning beyond face value. So to speak.

Last edited by Carrera GT; 03-14-2012 at 08:05 PM.

Quick Reply: First 991 to buy the farm