Sponsored by:

First 991 to buy the farm

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 07:35 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
ps. As someone who is convinced that those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it, I enjoy learning about how language gathers up and stores the lessons learned thought history and how the simplest turn of phrase carries meaning beyond face value. So to speak.
So to speak?

What is the history - meaning here?

As for young drivers, shortly after my kids got their driver's license I enrolled them in a Skip Barber's driving school. A one day coarse where they learn threshold braking, skid pad skills, some autocross, etc.. They both have good driving records for over 10 years now. Maybe the training helps? Doesn't seem to hurt.

Phil
Old 03-14-2012, 08:19 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RollingArt
So to speak?

What is the history - meaning here?

As for young drivers, shortly after my kids got their driver's license I enrolled them in a Skip Barber's driving school. A one day coarse where they learn threshold braking, skid pad skills, some autocross, etc.. They both have good driving records for over 10 years now. Maybe the training helps? Doesn't seem to hurt.

Phil
I don't mean anything pertaining to the story of this wrecked 991. When I say "doomed to repeat history" I mean that we can study old expressions in the language and apply parallels to modern times -- nothing specific to driver education or skills.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:25 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I don't mean anything pertaining to the story of this wrecked 991. When I say "doomed to repeat history" I mean that we can study old expressions in the language and apply parallels to modern times -- nothing specific to driver education or skills.
No, I didn't have that impression.

I was just wondering if the "so to speak" had a story to tell. Then I went on to ramble about the driver's ed I gave my kids, just for the heck of it!

Guess I wasn't very clear in my previous post.

So have you driven the 991 yet?
Old 03-15-2012, 02:39 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RollingArt
No, I didn't have that impression.

I was just wondering if the "so to speak" had a story to tell. Then I went on to ramble about the driver's ed I gave my kids, just for the heck of it!

Guess I wasn't very clear in my previous post.

So have you driven the 991 yet?
Driven and I have one at the dealer with my name on it, PDCC & PDK. Just waiting for them to get it tidied and PDI'd so I can get to Monterey next Monday assuming this winter storm abates. Quite a bizarre Porsche story -- company, not vehicle -- but I'll wait to see how it all unfolds.

Quick Reply: First 991 to buy the farm