Sponsored by:

evo- 2012 911 video review

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 12:06 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
Agreed, he's not just unequivocally stating he loves the new 991, he's being critical but gives credit where credit is due and a real comparison to other vehicles.
It's a believable review, the other one just sounds like he's trying to just find things to fault it and is very un-simpatico to boot.

BTW, congrats to you PSC on your new 991, enjoy!!
You're not getting rid of Frankenporsche are you?
Old 03-02-2012, 12:17 PM
Storm Trooper
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My own feelings about the 991 (I got an S last week) compare to those of PSC.

For those of you who talk about the unique characteristics of the 997 vs. the 991 I wonder if it has to do with how that car handles given where the engine is in relation to the rear axle?

I had a 2007 997 turbo with 6 speed and that handled very differently from my 991, but I don't know if that was due to the 4 wheel drive or what you guys are talking about. That car felt like an extension of my body. When I moved, it moved. What it felt, I felt. I felt connected to the road. Is that what you all are talking about?

In any event, I am sorry to hear that not all are enamored with the car. I simply love it. If you look at the caption on the new issue of Evo magazine - just saw it on the Internet and came to post on the forum, but saw this thread - its says "991 Fail". Frankly, that pissed me off! Cars are so subjective. But to say it fails. A bit harsh.

I write this as I'm on a plane coming back from giving a presentation (and getting some new clients - more money to put in my new baby!) so won't write an essay although I've got 2 hours to sit here and write.

I'm taking my car in to get the windows tinted, to further my storm trooper theme. I'll post pictures in my other thread when I'm done.

And . . . the entire time I was out of town I kept thinking, over and over, that I could not wait to get back to take the car out for a spin. That type of emotional reaction to a car is what I was looking for. I have had that feeling with very few cars, but I have it with this one in spades.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:40 PM
SSST
Drifting

I think you said it yourself. The new car is a completely different feel from the previous generations. That doesn't mean the car isn't a better car. Objectively, it is a better car. Subjectively, that's a matter of opinion.

I bought a 996 over a 997 because I thought the 997 was too refined. There are others that think my 996 isn't a real 911 because it's water cooled. They might have a point, but I live in Texas and need an AC that works.

You've owned both a 997 and a 991. If you prefer the 991, that's all that matters. The rest of this is just discussion and opinion.

As I said above, I really like the white. It gives is some depth.

Now if you'll excuse me it's sunny and 72 for the first time in weeks so I'm dropping the top and heading to my place on the coast for the weekend.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:15 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Drove the 991S a couple weeks ago. Its the best 911 Ive ever driven or been a passenger in and its not even close. Its a car that finally asks no compromises from its owner. It does everything well. A lot of the character of the old 911 versions was good, but a lot of it was not so good. In fact, a lot of it was rubbish by comparison. Some of the older 911 versions I wouldnt drive 100 miles in the same day. Dislocates every vertebrae in my body, too much wind noise, not enough power, interior fit and finish on par with a $25,000 car, less gas friendly, wives and girlfriends refuse to ride in it, etc, etc, etc.

This is the only car you possibly need, unless you need a minivan for kids. You could drive it cross-country, or drive it to the track. Faster than past 911 GT3s. Handles better.

Refined to me means more liveable, not necessarily more soft and wimpy. The sound out of the quad exhausts of the 991S makes my ***** hard. I also think its one of the best looking 911s ever, especially the last 2 iterations.

I dont get caught up in bigger, smaller, faster, slower, higher, lower, and nefarious words like soul, and character that have no real definitions, only subjective opinions. I just ask myself if this car hits as many high notes as it can. I think it does.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:01 PM
Psycho Sid
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SSST
You're not getting rid of Frankenporsche are you?
Yeah the time has come to find my baby a new home... a little bitter sweet but I just don't have the space to keep her.
I'm all done customizing and am looking forward to starting over with the 991.
When I saw it in real life the first time I was underwhelmed... than I saw it in black and was hit by the wow.

Test drove it and OMG... WOWWWW!!!
I'm in LOVEEEE.
Had the rear-end sliding the car bucking and snarling, barking and growling... wow just wow!
With sport plus and PSE it's truly and visceral experience, nothing soft about it... you can feel all the texture in the roads without any jarring, it's smooth but very powerful... so much so, I thought "I'd better get the base because with this S I'll loose my license" .
But then when you turn everything off (into comfort) it a very comfortable car that you could drive for long, long periods and enjoy the luxurious feel... yes "luxury" Is maybe not what evryone wants in their 911 but this 911 is a true Jackal & Hide.

I've owned many cars, from air-cooled 911's to Ferrari's to Benz's and rust buckets... (not to mention having driven anything from funny-cars, yet-cars to nitro bikes) but this is the best I've ever had the pleasure to own (if I can stand the wait).

Yep, everything is relative and open to personal tastes... until you've given it the beans!
Wow just wow!

Last edited by Psycho Sid; 03-02-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:08 PM
Psycho Sid
Pro

Originally Posted by UDPride
The sound out of the quad exhausts of the 991S makes my ***** hard. .
Hahahahahaha I really, really hope you're a chick, other wise you've got problems... for that matter so do I 'cause I'm getting a little excited over here

pfewwwww that made me laugh!!
You should absolutely use this as you signature!
Old 03-02-2012, 08:46 PM
SSST
Drifting

Anything that could make my ***** hard would be special indeed. LMAO!

I'm sure I'll have one eventually, but I think I will wait for the .2 version and the full lineup so I can pick my poison. I'll skip the 997.

Since my 996 is the 3rd car in my lineup and the one I bought to tinker with, I have a few projects planned before I'm done with it.

I look forward to finally getting to drive the 991.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:03 PM
Psycho Sid
Pro

Anything that could make my ***** hard would be special indeed. LMAO!

I'm sure I'll have one eventually, but I think I will wait for the .2 version and the full lineup so I can pick my poison. I'll skip the 997.

Since my 996 is the 3rd car in my lineup and the one I bought to tinker with, I have a few projects planned before I'm done with it.

I look forward to finally getting to drive the 991.
If you want to keep your current 911 for a while DON"T drive the new 991!
Seriously it'll be like a one night stand with 2 Scandinavian bikini models... that will do anything!
All other encounters in the "real" world will be...
Old 03-02-2012, 09:46 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Seriously it'll be like a one night stand with 2 Scandinavian bikini models... that will do anything!
Perhaps for some, but not for others. After I drove the 991 I firmed up my decision to keep my 997.2 and start looking at other interesting 997 variants going forward. I did not find a Scandinavian hot model; I found instead a well instrumented, far more mature (steady) lady, a fast one though. The 991 is really that different.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:03 PM
Psycho Sid
Pro

What, you got something against mature Swedish bikini models!?
Old 03-02-2012, 10:39 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

What, you got something against mature Swedish bikini models!?
Not at all, but the 991 is not one, it's a very mature entity. For the ultimate Swedish bikini model try a 996 GT3.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:13 PM
SSST
Drifting

At my age, I'd break a tooth.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:17 PM
Psycho Sid
Pro

At my age, I'd break a tooth.
Oh man that's funny... whooooooowy hahahaha ooooooooooewf I think a little pee came out.... oh please stop it before I hurt myself!!!
Old 03-06-2012, 12:17 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

Great article on all of those cars - I would honestly be happy with any of them, but at this particular time and for this new model, Porsche is getting my money!

I noticed after rewatching the Carrera video, this car did not have SC yet at about the 1 minute point it clearly executes a PDK launch controlled start. You hear the motor rev, the spoiler rises and the clutch drops. The 991 I test drove did have SC yet it would not enter launch control mode for me. Makes me think LC is a feature the dealer/programmer can turn on or off and perhaps the now standard "sport" button is sufficient to allow activation?
Old 03-06-2012, 01:44 PM
Rushman71
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a decent amount of seat time, both road and track, in 993, 996, and 997 911s, but I have never owned one so I am not romantically attached to any model. Admittedly I have the least time in 991 with maybe 90 minutes between two test drives. Personally, I don't subscribe to the romantic notion of "lovable idiosyncrasies" in cars. To me that's just a human idiosyncrasy where people lie to themselves.

I simply want a car that does what I want it to do. Now, I don't want the car to do everything for me like the GT-R, but I also don't want to constantly have to drive around a car's faults. I want an ideal dance partner that works with me to where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. From my limited time in the 991, it is that partner. The only thing that bums me out is that Porsche bows down to the 911 purists at all because the Boxster/Cayman really is a superior car dynamically, but not enough to make up the fun difference provided by an extra 80 hp. Put the 911 S's drivetrain and features in a Boxster/Cayman chassis and I'll dump the 911 in a heartbeat.

Quick Reply: evo- 2012 911 video review