Default evo- 2012 911 video review

Full review in upcoming issue 168. I'd say Mr. Meaden is lukewarm overall:

http://www.evo.co.uk/videos/supercar...34_driven.html

Last edited by micahbones; 02-29-2012 at 01:01 PM. Reason: embed video
Old 02-29-2012, 02:02 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Interesting. He has a rather skewed perspective though, IMO. At the 3:20 mark, for example, he says that "as ever jounrnalists have said over the last 40 years that the newer version isn't as good as the old one" although he personally won't go so far as to say that about this car. In fact, reviews over the last 40 years have almost always said just the opposite; that the newest 911 is "the best ever". Anyway, thanks for posting this.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:23 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 737 Likes on 538 Posts

I test drove a 991 and was also very luke warm, wanting to be wowed by its performance, but was not........great overall car, as he says, but "character of 911" less than previous models, does about nail it......have to wait for GT3s, Turbos, etc.....to see how they operate...........and save a bit more cash!!

Hard to describe it exactly, but it drives like many other cars with a lesser price/reputation..........don't feel as unique an experience when you drive it...
Old 02-29-2012, 03:53 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

This is what I said all along, and long confirmed on my test drive. Great car, certainly better performer, but radically different. IMO, of course. A far greater change than the 993/996 change, where in that case we had a different engine cooling and a bigger car, but still same dynamics. Here, the dynamics are radically changed - that is why the 991 performs/handles better. If one is after a better performing car in the absolute sense and the soul of the 11 is not what one is after, cares for, or knows about, the 991 is the car to get.

Another point is the symposer... quite a psycho-acoustic feat which makes the car feel faster than it actually is.

BTW... if one reads carefully, most reviews say just that.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:47 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

Not a "base vs S" review at all, more like some random thoughts about the 991 in general. A bit disappointing!
Old 02-29-2012, 06:12 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I will reserve my thoughts for when my car comes...

i love the new PDK, I love the new interior and what comes along with that (new Nav/doors/sunroof delete)

my only qualm about the car is: if the 3.4L is on par with being a Carrera Engine (3.4 is the Boxster/Cayman S Engine)... and what they have done differently in the 3.4 versus the 3.8 since nobody has been able to compare them directly yet (would love to see exhaust, and suspension (how much higher than 3.8 w/ it's 10mm lower PASM)

also curious to see the wheels and brakes in person as the 3.8 wheels and brakes are amazing.

end of the day, i am usually a die hard advocate of base models, but porsche has got me nervous this time around since we cannot see and compare in advance (either way the S at 14k more is rediculous, should be 10k more as has been in past)
Old 03-01-2012, 04:29 AM
PSC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just read the Evo review.

Message is don't buy PDDC.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:19 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

Is there a more extensive written review from this Evo guy?
Old 03-01-2012, 11:26 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
This is what I said all along, and long confirmed on my test drive. Great car, certainly better performer, but radically different. IMO, of course. A far greater change than the 993/996 change, where in that case we had a different engine cooling and a bigger car, but still same dynamics. Here, the dynamics are radically changed - that is why the 991 performs/handles better. If one is after a better performing car in the absolute sense and the soul of the 11 is not what one is after, cares for, or knows about, the 991 is the car to get.

Another point is the symposer... quite a psycho-acoustic feat which makes the car feel faster than it actually is.

BTW... if one reads carefully, most reviews say just that.
That's well said. I guess I should wait until I drive one, but even the look has lost some of the 911 character. It seems like some thing unique in automotive history may be a thing of the past.

As someone who has been enamored with the 911 mystique for the last forty years it seems a little sad.

Oh well. I'm sure my sons will be saying something similar about the 12th generation 911 one day.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:40 AM
Psycho Sid
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think to put it in perspective you guys should check out this review by another EVO host...
The guy in the first video sounds almost like he's upset that he's got to do a review of the new 911... at least Chris Harris is entertaining and informative.
I'm pretty sure most have seen this but here ya go.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:07 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Yeah CH likes the car. I do too, as a performer... But CH also says the car dynamics are different and that is the difference. Anyone who knows what driving a classic 911 means, has driven a 997 or earlier and now a 991, readily sees the difference. Obviously not an issue for many, but an issue for others. It is what it is.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:58 AM
PSC
Instructor

Had my 991S for a day now. Not got PDCC!

The more I drive it the more I love it. First 30 mins I was a bit underwhelmed but this car, with its multiple personality, is a car you need to take time to get to know. Makes car more satisfying - everytime I drive it I learn something new.

Don't agree with SSST re the internals. Quality significantly better and the electronics make a 997 look like an antique!

As an all in one car it is absolutely sensational. There is nothing comparable?

I had 2011 GTR before but so one dimensional. Lousy ride, noisy tyres - a big heavy brute of a car albeit fantastically fast.

Also had a M3 but lousy traction and no sence of occasion - not in same league as a 911.

Had a Vantage N400. Absolutely loved it for its character but electronics from the Ark.

Had loads of 911's including 997 GT3 RS's and my 991S is easily the best of the lot as a car to live with.

And steering seems fine to me with plenty of 'feel'.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:03 AM
Psycho Sid
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ADias
Yeah CH likes the car. I do too, as a performer... But CH also says the car dynamics are different and that is the difference. Anyone who knows what driving a classic 911 means, has driven a 997 or earlier and now a 991, readily sees the difference. Obviously not an issue for many, but an issue for others. It is what it is.
Agreed, he's not just unequivocally stating he loves the new 991, he's being critical but gives credit where credit is due and a real comparison to other vehicles.
It's a believable review, the other one just sounds like he's trying to just find things to fault it and is very un-simpatico to boot.

BTW, congrats to you PSC on your new 991, enjoy!!
Old 03-02-2012, 08:31 AM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rijowysock
I will reserve my thoughts for when my car comes...
I'm actually waiting for your review. We may be in the minority, but I like the car as simple as possible. Either the base car will blow us away or just blow.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:03 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fbroen
Is there a more extensive written review from this Evo guy?
Yes, it is in Evo magazine this month. It just went on sale in stores and on the IPad yesterday. Zinio will probably have is soon too.

There are two main articles. The first is a group test that puts the 3.4 against rivals (by price). From memory, this group is made up of 1. e92 M3, 2. C63 coupe, 3. XK-R coupe, 4. GT-R. The winner of this group went on to face the 3.8 and another group including the R8 and a few others.

It is a good read. Evo traditionally championed the 911 with Chris Harris usually leading the charge. He has now left Evo.

Quick Reply: evo- 2012 911 video review