Sponsored by:

Pulled the trigger - went the other way

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 04:04 PM
mrm 930
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Pulled the trigger - went the other way

I test drove the 991S with PDK, PASM, PDCC, sport exhaust and a list of other options. The dealer told me to take it out by myself for 30-45 minutes -he told me: "you'll drive it differently without one of us in the car". Which I did, tells you alot about the car driving it over some off your own routes without anyone else in the car. You feel alot more relaxed. Got as far as setting up a build sheet. Heavily optioned - my cost with discount was $128K. The decision is down to: buy the new car - turn in my '10 M5 when the lease comes up in June. Buy a used RS under a certain dollar amount - keep and buy the M5.

Found the GT3 RS that I have been looking for. An '08 White/black with alot of options, extra sets of Champion wheels, Pilot racing tires, carbon fiber cup series front fenders and rear deck with wing and aftermarket sport exhaust. Plus I get all of the factory pieces with the sale. Bottom line, I am uber geeked over the car. The seller that I am buying it from is a prime, stand-up guy. Just excellent and extremely pleasant to do business with. I need to fly out and meet him. Great guy!

The boss (wife) told me that in 3-4 years, after these two cars are paid for, I can order my new 991. I would think that the GTS 4 will be out by then. Hey, I have to get something the wife would want to drive!

So, thanks to all for the help and advice that I have seen on this website. Great people here and I encourage anyone who even think that they have the dumbest question to ask - post it. You will get straight up advice and opinions. Of course I will keep up with this thread and see how things develop.

Mark
Old 02-25-2012, 05:32 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats! I love the GT3 RS. I've been on the fence about the 991 and GT3 RS. Not that I'm in any hurry, as I love my 997. Would love to get your insight on the 991 vs. GT3 RS. You also need to post pics. Cheers.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:11 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 153 Posts

I have a 991 and just sold my GT3RS. Apples and hand grenades.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:39 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Finding a nice white/black 3.6 RS is a comparative "no brainer" -- it should be under $100K and hold its value, give or take. Conversely, a well set up PDCC 991 Carrera S is $120K and no comparison for raw driving (just as the RS is no comparison for daily driving.) Give or take Nebraska taxes (5.5%?) there's quite a premium for the first year driving the 991 versus a 997.

The 991 will depreciate 25% year one and be an unremarkable fish in an ocean of used cars after 24 months while the 3.6 RS will continue to be a sought-after "cognoscenti" 911 that's practically a liquid asset at fair market value.

In round figures, typical Carrera (and GT3, RS, too, these days) depreciation is conveniently remembered as 40% residual after 40 months and 60% after 60 months, starting with about a 25% ledge after one year.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:57 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 914 Posts

Pictures?
Old 02-25-2012, 11:10 PM
mrm 930
Racer

Originally Posted by Alstoy
Congrats! I love the GT3 RS. I've been on the fence about the 991 and GT3 RS. Not that I'm in any hurry, as I love my 997. Would love to get your insight on the 991 vs. GT3 RS. You also need to post pics. Cheers.
Trust me - I was driving myself crazy about this decision. 2 great cars, but 2 completely different cars.

I drove the 991S - then drove an Orange 08 GT3 RS (2200 miles) that the dealer had on consignment. After the RS drive, back into the 991S for the lone 45 minute test drive. My impression, reflected the final perception of the cars, that I had to give myself to get some kind of decision made. The RS is raw, fast and responsive. More of a live - fly by wire feel. The 991S was modern, well styled and computer driven. Actually owning my M5 for the past 30 months made the comparison easier. The 991S is a M version of a 911. It is luxurious, comfortable, extremely well made and the fit and finish is of very high quality. Then you have the choice of touching a few buttons and changing everything. The ride, shift points and suspension. The same as my M5. In the M, there are 5 settings for the shift points, 3 suspension settings and 2 horsepower settings. I have no idea how many combinations you can come up with, but more than the 991S (good or bad is a personal preference). Or hit the M button and it turns into a race mode with the seat bolsters inflating at hard corners to keep you in the seat. These bolsters only activate in a turn and alternate as you make left or right turns. So - alot of electronics in this modern sport version of the 5 series. Same in the 991S - a great 911 - then engage a few switches and it becomes something else.

I really like the looks and feel of the 991. It finally came down to: 1) keeping the M5 and 2) I never buy anything in the base model (not trying to be snobbish about it), but I like the more developed models. So after FINALLY realizing this - the choice for me became easy.

If I had more money - then I would have bought the 991 and a newer RS. But, you have to live within your means and with your wife! Looking forward to the development of the other models.

Have fun with your decision, keep us informed.

10 BMW M5 (daily driver)
10 Cayenne GTS (wife's)
78 930 (heavily modified)
Old 02-25-2012, 11:11 PM
mrm 930
Racer

Originally Posted by Nizer
Pictures?
I will not have the car for 2-3 weeks. But I will post the pics that the owner sent me.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:39 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

apples and oranges

Quick Reply: Pulled the trigger - went the other way