Sponsored by:

SF bay area dealers

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 04:25 PM
hlee1169
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SF bay area dealers

I visited two Porsche dealers to check out the new 991. I want to check out the Espresso natural leather interior and the two tone Agate/pebble grey Leather interior, thinking of having Carrara White as the exterior color again.

Pulled up my car in the first dealer, a sales person came to greet me, and I told him my intention to check out such cars in his inventory so I could decide on what spec I want for a new 991. He showed me the one with espresso interior, but the one with agate/pebble grey has not arrived yet. I sat in the car for a good 10 min, but he just stood outside without saying much. I walked around the dealer and he followed me, again without engaging me in a conversation, like what model I am currently driving, and how soon I want to buy. Of course he did not offer me a test drive. When I left, he didn't bother to give me a business card either. I don't feel like he is treating me as a potential customer; more like he was making sure I don't break anything. And this dealer is a Premier dealer in our area!

I went to a second dealer, and again no one greeted me. Sales were sitting at their desk. I found one and ask the same question, and their car with espresso interior has not come in yet. The sales person did take down my name and gave me a card, but did not offer me a test drive.

My question is, for the people in my area and have test driven the 991, what did you do to get a test drive? Bribery?
Old 02-19-2012, 04:53 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by hlee1169
I sat in the car for a good 10 min, but he just stood outside without saying much. I walked around the dealer and he followed me, again without engaging me in a conversation, like what model I am currently driving, and how soon I want to buy. Of course he did not offer me a test drive. When I left, he didn't bother to give me a business card either. I don't feel like he is treating me as a potential customer; more like he was making sure I don't break anything. And this dealer is a Premier dealer in our area!
Sounds like Carlsen. Give Porsche of Monterey a call. Talk to Lance or Peter. They took me out on a test drive in their Launch Agate Grey 991 (which has since sold). But they have a black/black 991S that they will let you test drive. Nice folks too! Saludos, Eduardo (Carmel)
Old 02-20-2012, 04:39 PM
jdsc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Contact Robb Eglsaer at Porsche of Stevens Creek. I have been working with him for over a year. Great guy with over three dacades of Porsche experience and very personable. He used to race professionally so he is a real motorhead. I contacted every dealer in the Bay Area and met with quite a few of the salesmen and he is aone of the best. That is why I ordered my 991S from him.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:00 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If they don't offer you a test drive, just ask for one, then they'll know you are serious.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:21 PM
hlee1169
Pro

Thanks for the advice and info.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:22 PM
hlee1169
Pro

So I talked to Robb at Stevens Creek Porsche, and he is a nice guy. However, he does not have any 991 for me to test drive, because he sold them all! He told me, including launch cars, he has sold 15 991 so far. Wow.

Another interesting tidbit he told me is that apparently there were people who wanted to buy a 911 and export it immediately to China, and when Porsche (NA?) found out, the dealer's allocation would be revoked immediately, so he thought maybe that's why I was getting a cold shoulder at the other dealership. Guilt by stereotyping, I guess.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:28 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by hlee1169
Another interesting tidbit he told me is that apparently there were people who wanted to buy a 911 and export it immediately to China, and when Porsche (NA?) found out, the dealer's allocation would be revoked immediately, so he thought maybe that's why I was getting a cold shoulder at the other dealership. Guilt by stereotyping, I guess.
I don't buy it. And neither should you! It was lack of professionalism...compounded by a dose of laziness! You should study the demographics of Bay Area luxury car buyers to know why this wouldn't be...prudent!

Saludos, z356
Old 02-25-2012, 11:36 PM
Gleek48
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Z356
You should study the demographics of Bay Area luxury car buyers to know why this wouldn't be...prudent!
Exactly and especially in the Bay Area. When I went in to test drive and then order my 991, I was wearing sweats and a sweatshirt.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:51 AM
hlee1169
Pro

Originally Posted by Gleek48
Exactly and especially in the Bay Area. When I went in to test drive and then order my 991, I was wearing sweats and a sweatshirt.
I see. Well, congrats on your order. If you don't mind sharing your build, and when you will receive it? Dealer is pushing me to order, and has asked for 5K for deposit.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:19 AM
jdsc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear you had a good experience with Robb. Sorry he didn't have any cars for you to test. It seems like the 991's are moving quickly.

Quick Reply: SF bay area dealers