Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 04:39 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default autoblog review of 991 Cabrio

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/02/22/2...-drive-review/

Nothing much to report, but for Cabrio "waiters" at least something to filter through the subconscious.

The attach photo shows the carryover club foot of the "crumpled suit" approach to stuffing the roof into a small compartment.

Maybe I'm dreaming, but it seems to me that Porsche has snatched defeat from the jaws of a lot of R&D going into completely rejigging the 911 platform. Why not go to a coupe chassis that would be a Targa? Why not have the entire Cabrio top readily removable to make it a Speedster? I'm afraid the genius team at Porsche marketing (yet to beg, borrow or steal a clue) have stuck to the 70's product strategies of building an inferior product, then asking the customer to pay up for the cost to adapt the platform to each purpose. Instead of a new design, we get the same old scissor arms, elastic bands and "oh, let's just put a strap on that and a plastic bit over there" result with road test reports of wind noise around the windows and impossible-to-clean dust accumulating in every crevice and cranny.

Top down, it looks good. Top up, not so bad, but seen closer than "20 foot," like the 997, the end result of their "engineering" (cough) looks like a chubby salesman in a cheap suit after a "red eye" flight for a morning meeting ... unplanned, a day late and a dollar short.
Attached Images  
Old 02-25-2012, 03:35 AM
packwest
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As much as I am impressed with Porsche engineers in designing a well balanced and capable car, their work on the cabrio top is a joke. The car is so off-balanced, especially with the top up (997 and prior). The 991 soft top contour is an improvement, but they still can't figure out a way to fold it neatly to avoid those ugly wrinkles. The quality of the soft top and how it folds is quite poor.

With the top down, the butt still looks huge and out of place, like a hunchback. The huge space opening where the folded top (deployed) meets the rear engine panel is ungly and unacceptable, and serves no purpose. I mean, you can slide your hand inside that gaping hole, and anything else that can fit in there.

The fact that "a team of engineers has been devoted to the roof – and just the roof – on this car since 2004" and came up with the solution that they did is just sad and pathetic.

Audi, Ferrari and Lambo are excellent examples of how to design a good looking convertible, even if the original platform is a coupe. Heck, even Nissan designed a better transition from coupe to convertible with the Z.

In summary, Porsche engineers in the roof department are a joke. Look at what they did with the Boxster Spyder roof. What a fine example of over-engineering that amounted to nothing. I love Porsches, but I think they tend to over-exaggerate their engineering prowess, especially on things that they have no business bragging about. I remember reading the brochure to a 2007 Boxster, and it boasted that the wipers tuck under the hood for enhanced aerodynamic. C'mon, like this is SO special!! Most cars are designed like this. It's like boasting that their cars have a tilted windshield to improve drag.

I would love to get a 991 cab, but I think they are so ugly when compared to the coupe. The R8 cab, on the other hand, is a beauty that was nicely carried over from the coupe. Audit, teach your German cousins how to really design a convertible, and not take 8 years doing it either!!
Old 02-26-2012, 04:55 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by packwest
Heck, even Nissan designed a better transition from coupe to convertible with the Z
You lost me with that comment.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:52 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

do the rear seats backrest tilt forward like they're in the 997?
Old 02-28-2012, 11:00 AM
jmm
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering the same thing. I couldn't tell for sure by looking at the configurator, but it seems less pronounced.

You know what that is, don't you? It's the pop-up roll bars that deploy in a rollover accident.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:41 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't get the Nissan comment. That top has more lumps than a burlap sack full of potatoes and doesn't blend into the lines of the car. Same with the Vette.

I don't like the wrinkles on my top, but even on the 996, the top has one of the smoothest contours that blends into the overall design. The BMW 650 soft top is also nice.

They could go with a hard top, add weight and move the engine to the front, but .... Not.

All that said, I can't tell from the videos and pics how it is much different than the system on the 996.

Quick Reply: autoblog review of 991 Cabrio