Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDCC or SPASM or both?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 11:05 PM
John S 211
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aamersa...interested to know what your 991 build looks like...any meaningful adders to the base model?
Old 02-23-2012, 11:14 AM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by John S 211
Aamersa...interested to know what your 991 build looks like...any meaningful adders to the base model?
2012 991S Coupe, Guards Red, Blk Standard interior, PDK, Sport chrono, Sport Exhaust, SportDesign Steering, Sunroof, Auto dimming mirrors, park assist (rear), Bose, TPMS, entry & drive, colored wheel caps, floor mats.

Above are my full specs. I have above as my signature on the 6speed forum but have not been able to do the same on this one.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:25 PM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have not seen this mentioned as a benefit to the PDCC.

In addition to track prowess and better body roll control, the PDCC is going to make your rear tires last much longer and wear evenly. Over the life of the car (if you plan to keep for a while) you will get your money back from better tire wear and have a superior riding and handeling car.

I think PASM is must where I live because of such poor road surfaces. It may not be such a need where you are.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:32 PM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Abby Normal
I have not seen this mentioned as a benefit to the PDCC . . . make your rear tires last much longer and wear evenly. . . .

I think PASM is must where I live because of such poor road surfaces. It may not be such a need where you are.
If this is the case then are wheel alignment settings different than on non PDCC cars?

I'll be ordering the 991S which has PASM standard equipment. The ability to turn it off when the going gets rough is a real plus. However in my reading on Porsche's site, it says that if PASM is on and the going rough it will switch to soft automatically. Then turn back on when the road smooths out. No need to fiddle with the switches!

So far PDCC is a must. I am still on the fence with regard to SportPASM and really need to test a car, but there are non with this at the 3 closest dealers.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:32 PM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarManDSL
If this is the case then are wheel alignment settings different than on non PDCC cars?
It helps the tire maintain a better contact patch and distibutes the load more evenly across the entire width of the tire.

The PASM Sport gives the car a great stance!
Old 02-24-2012, 02:38 PM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 199 Posts

It helps the tire maintain a better contact patch and distibutes the load more evenly across the entire width of the tire.
My Porsche mechanic just told me that there is no difference in the wheel alignment settings for PDCC and non-PDCC cars. He agreed that tire wear should be improved.

Also mentioned that the ride would be more compliant with PDCC.
Makes sense as the roll bars are effectively "off" in a straight line, but "on" in the corners.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:44 PM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarManDSL
My Porsche mechanic just told me that there is no difference in the wheel alignment settings for PDCC and non-PDCC cars. He agreed that tire wear should be improved.

Also mentioned that the ride would be more compliant with PDCC.
Makes sense as the roll bars are effectively "off" in a straight line, but "on" in the corners.
I wasn't sure but doubted the alginment was different. I have seen tires (from both PDCC and nonPDCC) that have been driven hard for equal miles on the same surface and conditions, and the difference in tire wear is incredible.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:52 PM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wasn't sure but doubted the alginment was different. I have seen tires (from both PDCC and nonPDCC) that have been driven hard for equal miles on the same surface and conditions, and the difference in tire wear is incredible.

That itself could be down to differences in alignment. No way of guaranteeing those were in harmony.

Though I argree with the theory that tyre wear should diminish with a consistent contact patch (if well aligned from the outset).
Old 02-24-2012, 02:54 PM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really could do with someone who has driven a test car with and without PDCC to see whether there is a significant difference in comfort. I didn't find the 991 (without PDCC) any better than my 997 comfortwise...
Old 02-24-2012, 03:55 PM
Seranad
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Betternotbigger
Really could do with someone who has driven a test car with and without PDCC to see whether there is a significant difference in comfort. I didn't find the 991 (without PDCC) any better than my 997 comfortwise...
I have. I test drove 2 991 in December 2011, both with pdk, one with sport chrono and pdcc, the other without both.

to me there was a very clear advantage of the pdcc equipped car in ride comfort. not in terms of softness but in terms of having contact with the road at all times, the car just feels much more planted and does not jump around over bad patches of road - which to me increased the comfort a lot and that was the reason I ordered for my car (arriving in April) as I live in a city with lots of bad roads.

the added bonus of flatness in corners is nice too and very noticeable also in hard cornering ... but to be honest, for me the road comfort increase was worth the extra $$$ already

on the other hand if you did not notice any difference between a 997 and a 991 in terms of ride comfort then you must live in an area of very smooth roads as I found the increase of comfort on the standard 991 without pdcc already quite large and very noticeable compared to the 997.1 or 997.2
Old 02-24-2012, 04:06 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

Seranad, thank you for your post. I have $3k riding on the fact that what the press reports said about PDCC comfort added would be true. Your real world person post confirms it nicely.

I will be happy as this assumption allowed me to go for PASM Sport on our bad roads, and my better half will be happy about the comfort added back in with PDCC. Plus I get the performance pluses as a bonus.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:57 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fbroen
I will be happy as this assumption allowed me to go for PASM Sport on our bad roads, and my better half will be happy about the comfort added back in with PDCC. Plus I get the performance pluses as a bonus.
The 991 is very comfortable for its driver even w/o pdcc, just remember not to press sport or sport+ or pse. It is very civilized in that case. But it is hardly a "better half" mobile, for that the cayenne or panamera would win hands up.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:47 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

No disagreement there. I will say, though, that I was blown away by how comfortable the ride of the 991 is relative to the 997.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:13 PM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Betternotbigger
That itself could be down to differences in alignment. No way of guaranteeing those were in harmony.

Though I argree with the theory that tyre wear should diminish with a consistent contact patch (if well aligned from the outset).
These tires were removed from a fleet of 50 new 991 all being driven on track with driver changes etc. We went through over $250,000 in tires while doing these comparisons. The bottom line is that PDCC reduces rear tire wear, or ever more so uneven tire wear. While it's impossible to say there were no variances in the alignment, I am confident the results were due to PDCC and not different alignment settings.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:16 PM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Seranad
on the other hand if you did not notice any difference between a 997 and a 991 in terms of ride comfort then you must live in an area of very smooth roads as I found the increase of comfort on the standard 991 without pdcc already quite large and very noticeable compared to the 997.1 or 997.2
I actually found the difference to be much more obvious when pushing the car at 8/10. Under normal driving the difference is much more subtle, and as you stated, any configuration 991 has a noticible difference in ride quality over the 997 variants.

Quick Reply: PDCC or SPASM or both?