Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDCC or SPASM or both?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 08:23 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

This was on track driving, yes? I wonder how much of this reduced tire wear would translate to daily driving?
Old 02-24-2012, 09:04 PM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Abby Normal
The PASM Sport gives the car a great stance!
Yes it does. However all the Euro test cars are even lower and look great. On the practical side, my 99 996 with Sport Chassis is set rather high, but even though lower looks better, as a daily driver I have managed to avoid spoiler curb rash.

My question is in ride comfort level with PASM Sport Suspension and PDCC.

How would you rate the ride firmness in normal mode of PASM Sport Suspension, compared to a regular 991S in normal mode and PASM Sport firmer shock setting mode?

Would a 991S with both, PASM Sport Suspension and PDCC be more comfortable than a 991S with just PASM Sport Suspension?
Old 02-24-2012, 10:23 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

The lower Euro suspension settings were true. Is this still the case with the 991, though?
Old 02-25-2012, 04:34 AM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Seranad

on the other hand if you did not notice any difference between a 997 and a 991 in terms of ride comfort then you must live in an area of very smooth roads as I found the increase of comfort on the standard 991 without pdcc already quite large and very noticeable compared to the 997.1 or 997.2
You're kidding aren't you?

The roads my way are terrible.

The comparison wasn't a scientific one, mind: my 997.2 has winter tyres and they are more compliant than the rock hard Pirellis on the 991. On the other hand, my 997.2 has SPASM, where the 991 was standard. So hard to compare, other than to say I didn't feel much difference in comfort OR road noise.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:40 PM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Tested a 991S with PASM Sports Chassis and PDCC!

The firmness of the PASM Sports Chassis seemed about the same as my 1999 996 with Sport Chassis, but the hits on expansion joints and general rough roads was very subdued. Huge improvement from the current ride. Much smoother and none of the 996 road noise resonating through the chassis, especially over expansion joints.

The PDCC was down right amazing. Didn't have a chance to really do much, but the difference to non PDCC was very apparent.

When activating the Sport PASM and firm shock setting, the difference was not that noticeable. Perhaps since the spring and shock setting is already quit firm, the extra firm shock setting didn't seem that much firmer.

This compared to a 991S without Sport Chassis and PDCC, when activating the firm shock setting, the difference was immediately noticed.

So with that question out of the way, I have bit the bullet and ordered the 991S with PDCC and PASM Sport Chassis. Looks like an early May build with delivery June/July.

Thanks for you help on this thread guys.

Cheers.

Last edited by CarManDSL; 02-29-2012 at 05:40 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-29-2012, 09:57 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

^^^This^^^

Ordered one today with PDCC and SPASM. Drove it with and without, and loved the SPASM. Agree with everything you said.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:32 AM
PSC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Comparison test in this month's Evo. The 991S comes third.

Blame seems to be down to PDCC.

Removes feel and makes car seem artifical. Also unpredicable handling ie prone to letting go with minimal warning.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:19 PM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PSC
Comparison test in this month's Evo. . . Blame seems to be down to PDCC. Removes feel and makes car seem artifical. Also unpredicable handling ie prone to letting go with minimal warning.
Interesting comment. This occurred to me a couple weeks ago when pondering if the PDCC would make the car feel sort of like a full ground effects car like a 962. Sticks like sh*t then suddenly lets go seemingly without warning. Some body roll, even the very slightest, gives the driver some feedback as to where the limit is. There are so many factors to influence a sudden loss of grip, but the first I would look at are the tires.

That being said, it is a frequently heard complaint from people in the know that journalists are some of the most reckless drivers and seem to have a disproportionally high accident rate.

Will look into this.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:38 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by PSC
Comparison test in this month's Evo. The 991S comes third.
What was it compared to?
Old 03-01-2012, 05:54 PM
Seranad
Instructor

they had two tests: base vs. bmw m3, merc 63 amg, lotus evora, nissan gtr, jaguar XKR
here the base placed second behind the gtr.

second test was 991 S vs. bmw m5, AM Vantage S, Jag XKR-S, Audi R8, Mas GranTurismo S, GTR
and the 991 is 3rd after GTR and R8
Old 03-01-2012, 06:47 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Seranad
they had two tests: base vs. bmw m3, merc 63 amg, lotus evora, nissan gtr, jaguar XKR
here the base placed second behind the gtr.

second test was 991 S vs. bmw m5, AM Vantage S, Jag XKR-S, Audi R8, Mas GranTurismo S, GTR
and the 991 is 3rd after GTR and R8
Thanks for the feedback. Evo's entilted to their opinion of course. By contrast, C&D recently compared a 991S to the GTR and Corvette Z06 and the Carrera came first. I know the GTR is really quick but it's big, heavy and darn ugly, IMO. I have zero interest in owning one. I'd much rather own the Porsche; even the Vette has greater appeal for me than the GTR.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:52 AM
SiNi
Instructor

I live in SW England where country roads can be rough. Also have speed bumps on way home and at work etc. I want to track my new 991 C2S but it will also be my DD. I am going for PDCC and SC and PSE. I like the idea of SPASM but worried about the ride height and clipping the front spoiler. I used to have a DB9 and clipped the front spoiler so many times!!!
Old 07-01-2012, 10:16 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

SPASM provides no harshness penalty as the new suspension with 20s is optimized for the slightly higher profile tires than past sport suspensions. It gives shorter springs and stiffer roll bars and feels a bit more like the "traditional 911 that non SPASM 991s. The lowered stance fills the wheel well- but do get the 5 mm spacers too. I understand and appreciate that PDCC dynamically adjusts the roll bar links and makes the car faster on a windy road or at the track. But back to back, I preferred the feel of non PDCC car that I tested.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:58 PM
John's 991
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 991 with SPASM and no PDCC. I heard that the PDCC gives the car an odd feeling on track, but have not driven a car with it on track personally. The car definitely rolls with SPASM when corning really hard (visible in the pics) but does not feel like it is rolling over that much when driving. I cannot verify the accuracy of the internal G-meter, but it indicates 1.4 to 1.5 lateral G and 1.2 under braking, so not surprising the car rolls some. However, the contact patch remains very consistent - the tires don't roll over at all and show no wear on the outside edges with stock tires and alignment.

I suspect that the PDCC does help it on the track by limiting the roll, but perhaps at the expense of feel. But as the tires are not rolling, i am doubtful that it has a huge impact on the ultimate cornering ability of the car. I can't imagine much benefit on the street, as it is so good already.

This might be sacrilegious, but I look at the spoiler as similar to brake pads, rotors and tires. They will need to be replaced at some point and I don't sweat it in the mean time. Although I am careful, i have mildly scraped it a few times.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:46 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by John's 991
I have a 991 with SPASM and no PDCC. ....

This might be sacrilegious, but I look at the spoiler as similar to brake pads, rotors and tires. They will need to be replaced at some point and I don't sweat it in the mean time. Although I am careful, i have mildly scraped it a few times.
I have explained in another thread that I now know the PASM Sport spoiler is a flexible but tough device that literally snaps on (and unfortunately off if you catch it just right backing up), so +1 re don't sweat it.

Quick Reply: PDCC or SPASM or both?