Sponsored by:

Has anyone heard the base Stereo ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 05:40 PM
nicoff
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ctporsche
I consider myself an audio nut and I also have a top notch home audio system of over $100k price tag. I am not a fan of Bose and in a 911 I mostly listen to the engine sound, so I did not see value in spending $5k.
I wonder how many folks with ultra-high end audio systems at home will actually opt for the base system rather than the premium systems. Perhaps it is the realization that no car audio can ever match the kind of sound one can get from their audiophile home system. By the same token, for someone who has a not so great audio system at home, the premium audio options in the car may sound much better than what they are used to.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:00 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 770 Likes on 561 Posts

Was in 911 last week.......turned the radio on, etc.......The base system sounds as good as any system in a luxury car straight from manufacturer.................the small cabin only needs the base system and with the windows down was still quite good......use dollars on other things in life........
Old 03-04-2012, 06:49 PM
Rushman71
Instructor

Originally Posted by nicoff
I wonder how many folks with ultra-high end audio systems at home will actually opt for the base system rather than the premium systems. Perhaps it is the realization that no car audio can ever match the kind of sound one can get from their audiophile home system. By the same token, for someone who has a not so great audio system at home, the premium audio options in the car may sound much better than what they are used to.
I went Burmi and I have a decent home theater/audio setup.

Klipsch RF-7 II Speaker System
SVS PB13 Ultra Sub X2
Yamaha RX-A3010 Pre Amp/Zone 2&3 control/zone 3 amp
Outlaw Audio 7900 7 Channel Amp
Oppo BDP-95 Blu-ray
Sharp 80" Aquos

About $20K total. Certainly not ultra high end, but does what I want.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:41 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Perhaps it is the realization that no car audio can ever match the kind of sound one can get from their audiophile home system.
Your point is well taken, but in this case it's the listening environment that's the culprit. The Burmester is an excellent system, but a sports car with an 84db ambient noise level @ 70mph (as measured by R&T) is a far from ideal place to listen to audio. There's just no way around that fact. Personally I'd spend my money elsewhere, but TEHO.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:11 PM
ctporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Car's interior, especially in 911, is far from ideal to create sound imaging close to a great home system's. However, the true reason I am not intrested in investing a meaningful sum in an upgraded audio in this car is that I know I will be too busy driving and listening to the engine...
Old 03-04-2012, 11:39 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

How many people really listen to the engine for longer periods of time though? No denying there are times when this is great, but ALL the time?
Old 03-04-2012, 11:44 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fbroen
How many people really listen to the engine for longer periods of time though? No denying there are times when this is great, but ALL the time?
I think if the car is a daily driver, the stereo choice is more important. If the 911 is a weekend toy, the stereo may not be as important...
Old 03-04-2012, 11:54 PM
jakes dad
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrJay
Maybe I am just getting old but who cares about the stereo in the car?
I'm sorry but could you type a little louder

+1
Old 03-05-2012, 02:16 AM
Rushman71
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Your point is well taken, but in this case it's the listening environment that's the culprit. The Burmester is an excellent system, but a sports car with an 84db ambient noise level @ 70mph (as measured by R&T) is a far from ideal place to listen to audio. There's just no way around that fact. Personally I'd spend my money elsewhere, but TEHO.
Actually, there is one way around it. Prove the R&T's number is wrong:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/6841...are-wrong.html

Last edited by Rushman71; 03-05-2012 at 03:05 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:24 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Interesting, and maybe you have a point about the 84db number. So let's say the 75db C&D number is closer to the real interior noise level. You can find db noise level examples easily with a quick google search; 2 that I saw in a couple of places for 75db were a toilet flushing and a vacuum cleaner at 1 meter. More to the point is the example of my own 997.2 S with PDK and PSE. At 70mph in 7th gear it's barely turning 2k rpm but the interior noise from wind and tires, exhaust and engine is still considerable. The 991 may be quieter but it's not going to come close to what could reasonably be called a quiet listening environment by audiophile standards.

Look, getting Burmester equipment for $5K is probably a bargain in one sense. OTOH a 70-75db ambient noise level is enough to mask a lot of the nuance of the sound from that equipment, and is a level of background noise that would be intolerable in your listening room. Not to mention the fact that most of the program sources available in your car are not going to come close to what you can listen to at home (no vinyl!)

I've been an an audio junkie for 45 years, but I just couldn't justify spending the money for the Burmester in my Cayenne, which is considerably quieter than the Carrera. To the initial point raised in this thread, is the Burmester a better system than the base or Bose systems? Yes. Are you going to be able to hear a $3-5K difference? In my opinion, in a moving sports car, no. I think that's something to reasonably consider for someone deciding how to spend their budget on options for a new 991. If money's no object, knock yourself out!
Old 03-05-2012, 04:08 AM
Rushman71
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Interesting, and maybe you have a point about the 84db number. So let's say the 75db C&D number is closer to the real interior noise level. You can find db noise level examples easily with a quick google search; 2 that I saw in a couple of places for 75db were a toilet flushing and a vacuum cleaner at 1 meter. More to the point is the example of my own 997.2 S with PDK and PSE. At 70mph in 7th gear it's barely turning 2k rpm but the interior noise from wind and tires, exhaust and engine is still considerable. The 991 may be quieter but it's not going to come close to what could reasonably be called a quiet listening environment by audiophile standards.

Look, getting Burmester equipment for $5K is probably a bargain in one sense. OTOH a 70-75db ambient noise level is enough to mask a lot of the nuance of the sound from that equipment, and is a level of background noise that would be intolerable in your listening room. Not to mention the fact that most of the program sources available in your car are not going to come close to what you can listen to at home (no vinyl!)

I've been an an audio junkie for 45 years, but I just couldn't justify spending the money for the Burmester in my Cayenne, which is considerably quieter than the Carrera. To the initial point raised in this thread, is the Burmester a better system than the base or Bose systems? Yes. Are you going to be able to hear a $3-5K difference? In my opinion, in a moving sports car, no. I think that's something to reasonably consider for someone deciding how to spend their budget on options for a new 991. If money's no object, knock yourself out!
The 75db number was for a 997 manual which turns 2800 RPMs at 70 mph in 6th gear. The 991 PDK turns only 2100 RPMs in 7th gear. Edmund's got 68db from their 991 PDK test car. The 991 PDK is luxury car quiet at a 70 mph cruise with PSE disengaged. I think anyone who really enjoys listening to music will hear a difference. Now, whether they will hear a $2500 difference over the Bose or $5000 over the base is up to the individual to decide. To me, it's worth it and I wouldn't have spent the money if I couldn't hear any difference.

What I really think this makes clear is the need for PSE. If you don't get PSE on this car, it's going to be disappointingly quiet. Obviously this is why Porsche had to develop the Sound Symposer for the 991. If it's a budget choice between getting one of the audio system upgrades or getting the PSE, I would say get the PSE. Even though I love music, I would still put the PSE first on my priorities list.

Then I would prioritize based on how you listen to music and your budget. If you just listen to talk radio or like to have music on in the background, the base system is more than adequate. If you like to rock out, buy the best you can afford out of the Bose and Burmi.

I'm glad I really researched this because I was actually still questioning my PSE purchase and now I have no doubt it's a necessity.

I'm still trying to find out what type of DACS the Burmi runs.

Quick Reply: Has anyone heard the base Stereo ?