Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another first drive thread (hey, pics included, at least)

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 11:48 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts
Default Yet another first drive thread (hey, pics included, at least)

Frame of reference: Owned a 997.1 Targa. Driven 997.1 GT3, '86 944, '83 911 SC, and '80 924.

Visual - third time seeing the 991s. Width makes it look lower than the actual difference in height to the 997, a tad more more supercar:ish, is my take.

A few details that have bugged me in pics are far less noticeable when taking in the whole thing -- the satellite radio antenna and the headlight washers aren't as disturbing as I feared. I quite like the old school 904-ish bulbuous shape on the headlights, yet at the same time they somehow feel a bit un-Ur-911:y to me.

Handling - planted. Will be very interesting to drive a PDCC equipped one. We had some road salt:ing recently, that today was a dry and slick salt surface in spots which provided for some butt movement on hard acceleration, despite electronics.

The Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde character gap is broader than I had thought. Such a smooth ride in normal mode. So quiet, so refined. Yet press that SPORT PLUS button and it does indeed change character. Compared to my 997.1 (base), I would say that it is at once more commutable and more brute:ish, depending on setting.

The ride is fine with SPORT PLUS for most any road IMO. (In fact I am looking forward to my SPORT PASM.) Other areas of the SPORT PLUS is not for the daily grind IMO -- but that perhaps goes w/o saying -- as it seems like they really didn't hold back on rev and shift settings there. Sorta like a level 11 on the amplifier, if you know what I mean.

I am not convinced that PSE is needed. (But also not sure how much of the noise is "actual" noise versus the symposer thingie, which I could do without).

Steering -- forgot to think about it until a good way in, so will chalk that up to it not being that monumental of a deal. Will miss the 997 steering at times and will be delighted other times, depending on spirited driving, road condition, and/or just to/from work.

The Burmester. Yeah, it's just that good. So clear. (I have Bose coming and is at peace with that. But even though not a connoisseur, I can appreciate greatness when I get to hear it.)

Cabin does feel more airy. For good or bad. I do miss the A pillar/windshield right in your face, in a retro sort of way. Also, speaking or retro, I am not sure why they departed from the rear seat configuration and put that seat center in the back.

This one had regular Sport seats, not adaptive, and I have no real thoughts on them, so must do their job, perhaps w/o fanfare.

PDK is indeed impressive. Coming from a manual it will take a bit getting used to the less to do setup. Felt maybe a bit empty, but will also be so welcome other times when stuck in DC traffic, as coming car will be daily driver. And on topic of daily driver, it was my better half's idea to get a new Elfer, xmas present, actually, and she had only 2 conditions for this shared car -- PDK, and no GT3 -- so PDK with paddles it is.

Intention is to perhaps be a real life interpretation of those "Magic Everyday" commercials. Looking forward to checking out the "roof transport system" aka roof racks. Now, I hope they don't insist on making us take the racks with us on our European Delivery trip in April.
Attached Images      

Last edited by fbroen; 02-14-2012 at 12:30 AM.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:09 AM
mdwac
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts

great summary. what color is that?
Old 02-14-2012, 12:16 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Agate on Agate. (Car in last showroom pic is Anthracite Brown.)
Old 02-14-2012, 06:38 PM
tibookx
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any more pics of the Anthracite brown? I am very interested to see if this color becomes a popular option for 991 owners.... It looks decidedly modern in the pic above.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:36 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Anthracite -- sorry about fuzziness of first.

The other three show Agate vs Anthracite. Those taken at Porsche Centrum Amsterdam -- on overcast day, obviously.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:01 PM
tibookx
Intermediate

wow thanks!!! that Anthracite Brown is beautiful.... total sleeper colour for the 991. Anyone think you'd have problems with resale of that color down the road (6-9 years)? Or is it really all about the performance options?
Old 02-15-2012, 03:11 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're going to keep the car 6-9 yrs you are very wise and resale should not be a concern period.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:10 PM
tibookx
Intermediate

This new 991 really justifies itself as a car that can be kept for 6-9 years. The only option that is not available on the car that I am surprised by (and will absolutely show up on the facelifted model) is LED headlights. Hmmmm decisions, decisions....
Old 02-16-2012, 11:38 PM
Configur8rs
Track Day

Originally Posted by tibookx
This new 991 really justifies itself as a car that can be kept for 6-9 years.
Except that Porsche keeps finding a way to come out with a car that's so much better about every 3 years.

Every time they come along with a new iteration on the 911 I'm convinced it has peaked, and can't get significantly better. But then they do it again. And at first I like the old version more, but gradually see the light and fall in love with the new one, which is superior to old one in just about every way (aesthetics aside - nothing will replace the purity of the original design, imo).

How do they do that?
Old 02-16-2012, 11:39 PM
Configur8rs
Track Day

The gray is beautiful. Nice to see actual pictures. So much prettier than in the configurator. Although the new 3D configurator *is* vastly improved.

Quick Reply: Yet another first drive thread (hey, pics included, at least)