Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

California custom ordered 991s delivered yet?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 08:54 PM
jjoey
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default California custom ordered 991s delivered yet?

Just wondering if anyone has taken delivery of their custom ordered 991 in California yet...? I know some launch cars have been purchased/delivered.

Mine has been last updated last week at the port of San Diego and I'm starting to wonder if there is a delay or a transport backlog there.

Or perhaps I just can't wait?
Old 02-09-2012, 09:24 PM
SeaPors
Advanced

I know of a couple of custom ones that have made it to Seattle and they arrive via SoCal port.

Last edited by SeaPors; 02-09-2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:41 PM
gary k
Intermediate

mine arrived in san diego 1/20. was able to take delivery at socal dealer on 2/3.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:21 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by jjoey
Just wondering if anyone has taken delivery of their custom ordered 991 in California yet...? I know some launch cars have been purchased/delivered. Mine has been last updated last week at the port of San Diego and I'm starting to wonder if there is a delay or a transport backlog there.
I have a friend in Carmel that is in the same 'boat', or better said same 'port', as you! His custom-ordered 991 is at San Diego and has not been delivered as of today. His dealer (Porsche of Monterey) does not know the reason for the delay. All expected it to arrive last week. The Launch cars arrived 1 1/2 weeks ago and the 991 intro party took place last Saturday! My friend told me that the two Launch cars at Monterey had built dates after his 991, not before. Hope all of you waiting get your cars soon. Regards, z356
Old 02-12-2012, 10:57 AM
Gleek48
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard that the ports are having extensive QC now and that they can hold the cars for a week or two longer than normal.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:19 PM
jjoey
Intermediate

Yeah mine has been in port for 9 days so far, no status change beyond "arrived". What is QC, btw?
Old 02-12-2012, 03:24 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Quality Control(?)
Old 02-12-2012, 04:02 PM
Gleek48
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I heard from my dealer that they are performing extended Quality Control on the cars arriving now. Not sure when they stop this.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:23 PM
jjoey
Intermediate

Mine is now 10 days in port w/no updates. Shall we start taking bets?
Old 02-15-2012, 09:21 PM
jjoey
Intermediate

12 days in port now, with no change in status. Anguish!

Any other sightings of California customer (not launch) cars?
Old 02-15-2012, 10:58 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Indeed my friend from Carmel's 991 had a small quality control issue to contend with. That is the reason for his delay. In fact, PAG & PCNA allow his dealer to order a new 991 for him to his specs. His dealer has added a couple of small additional options at no charge (e.g. crest on leather center console and leather key fob) to compensate him for the delay, which is a very nice thing for them to do. That new car is getting a priority bump in the production line and is due for completion on March 6th. Perhaps will be here by early April. Hope your issue, jjoey, doesn't require a new car!

Saludos, z356
Old 02-16-2012, 01:02 AM
jjoey
Intermediate

Wow I'd be very curious to know the nature of the defect...do you know what it was that warranted a new car?

I certainly hope that is not the case with my order. I would not be thrilled to add a few months to my wait for a leather key fob and a crest.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:16 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jjoey
Wow I'd be very curious to know the nature of the defect...do you know what it was that warranted a new car?

I certainly hope that is not the case with my order. I would not be thrilled to add a few months to my wait for a leather key fob and a crest.
I believe it is just a small dent that can't be fixed via DentWizard. It can and will be repaired properly...but it will take a week or so. But Porsche has graciously offered the buyer, via his local dealer, the option to build him a new 991 rather than force him to accept this one (after repairs). So that is something to be commended by all involved - PAG, PCNA and his local dealer!

Not many years ago there was a famous legal case where a dealer sold a Porsche to a customer who later discovered that his brand new car had many panels fixed & painted at the VPC at port-of-entry (which was never disclosed to him). Unfortunately, accidents like this small dent sometimes will happen somewhere in route between when the cars leave the production line in Germany and before they arrive at the dealer. But at least Porsche spotted the problem at the VPC (that is the Quality Control aspect talked about in an earlier post) and decided to inform all parties involved. So to me it looks like PAG & PCNA have learned their lesson and are dealing fairly with this type of issues!

By the way, the dealer had no obligation to throw the small extras at no charge (which will be paid out of their profit margin), but I think it's a classy & smart move on their part!

Saludos, z356
Old 02-16-2012, 01:40 PM
jjoey
Intermediate

Wow...very interesting details. Thank you for sharing. Yes in this light it is reassuring to know that they are shooting straight at PNA San Diego. With your friend voluntarily choosing the reorder, the freebies are a nice gesture.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:41 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
I believe it is just a small dent that can't be fixed via DentWizard. It can and will be repaired properly...but it will take a week or so. But Porsche has graciously offered the buyer, via his local dealer, the option to build him a new 991 rather than force him to accept this one (after repairs). So that is something to be commended by all involved - PAG, PCNA and his local dealer!

Not many years ago there was a famous legal case where a dealer sold a Porsche to a customer who later discovered that his brand new car had many panels fixed & painted at the VPC at port-of-entry (which was never disclosed to him). Unfortunately, accidents like this small dent sometimes will happen somewhere in route between when the cars leave the production line in Germany and before they arrive at the dealer. But at least Porsche spotted the problem at the VPC (that is the Quality Control aspect talked about in an earlier post) and decided to inform all parties involved. So to me it looks like PAG & PCNA have learned their lesson and are dealing fairly with this type of issues!

By the way, the dealer had no obligation to throw the small extras at no charge (which will be paid out of their profit margin), but I think it's a classy & smart move on their part!

Saludos, z356
Well worth keeping an eye on the ship carrying the given order. For San Diego, it's http://www.sdmis.org/schedule/

I don't know how to compel PCNA or the dealer to divulge information on damage or "quality control" aspects.) If the car comes off the boat and arrives at the dealer in plastic within 2 days, I guess there's little risk. If the car is languishing at port for a week or more, you have to be "diligent" in confirming the condition of the "new" car. I try to make a point of meeting the truck at the dealership or have someone there to photograph it coming off the truck, then photo every panel and the cabin. "Trust, but verify."

Quick Reply: California custom ordered 991s delivered yet?