Sponsored by:

Porsche backwards thinking-

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 11:44 PM
Rushman71
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I agree. On the street I use the paddles to shift for myself; when autoxing I leave it in auto sport plus. If you need to override with a short shift an override is always available via paddle or stick.
Have you done much A-B comparisons autoxing in sport plus vs manual control and have you found there isn't any difference or that, in fact, auto is better?
Old 02-17-2012, 12:49 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Rushman71
Have you done much A-B comparisons autoxing in sport plus vs manual control and have you found there isn't any difference or that, in fact, auto is better?
Yes, I've been driving the car for 3 seasons now, and I'm quicker in auto/sport plus mode for several reasons. This may sound like a commercial but it's true; PDK is amazing in it's ability to be in the right gear for any given situation. Especially if you need to drop down a couple of gears in a tight turn, PDK is in the right one, and there's just no way you could have selected it as precisely yourself by double flicking the paddles or stick. PDK shifts inhumanly fast right at redline; not to early or too late. Given that you can't improve on the shifting, you can concentrate on your braking and turn in points, car placement, etc. which improves those aspects of your driving. And as I said previously, in the extemely rare instance where you might wish to be in a different gear, it's just an override flick of the paddle away. All of this translates to faster times.

Walter Rohrl has said that on the Nurburgring he can match the auto times of the first generation PDK box by shifting it manually. Short of him, virtually all of the test reports and other feedback I've seen say that auto mode is fastest. And from what I understand, the PDK box in the 991 is an improvement over the one in my car. I wonder if Walter could match the new one?
Old 02-17-2012, 01:44 AM
Rushman71
Instructor

Yes, I've been driving the car for 3 seasons now, and I'm quicker in auto/sport plus mode for several reasons. This may sound like a commercial but it's true; PDK is amazing in it's ability to be in the right gear for any given situation. Especially if you need to drop down a couple of gears in a tight turn, PDK is in the right one, and there's just no way you could have selected it as precisely yourself by double flicking the paddles or stick. PDK shifts inhumanly fast right at redline; not to early or too late. Given that you can't improve on the shifting, you can concentrate on your braking and turn in points, car placement, etc. which improves those aspects of your driving. And as I said previously, in the extemely rare instance where you might wish to be in a different gear, it's just an override flick of the paddle away. All of this translates to faster times.

Walter Rohrl has said that on the Nurburgring he can match the auto times of the first generation PDK box by shifting it manually. Short of him, virtually all of the test reports and other feedback I've seen say that auto mode is fastest. And from what I understand, the PDK box in the 991 is an improvement over the one in my car. I wonder if Walter could match the new one?
If it's faster than me doing it manually, even better.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:06 PM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if Walter could match the new one?
They may have used Walter's shift points as a model when developing the PDK control software. Put the car in Auto and it's like Walter is in the car doing the shifting for you.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:27 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the other thing the the PDK does is prevent the loss of torque during the shift. This is do the the twin clutch and electronics. It is an amazing technology.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:06 AM
Rushman71
Instructor

Another thing people should consider about PDK is that it ensures during resale the car was never over-revved.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:14 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,493 Likes on 1,574 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DrJay
Get the paddles, problem solved...
Yes, you are correct.

Quick Reply: Porsche backwards thinking-