Sponsored by:

Short Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 04:48 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts
Default Short Test Drive

Since I don't have a Porsche dealer nearby, I took advantage of a business trip to Philadelphia and stopped by Porsche of Conshohocken for a look and a drive.

First, they had several colors there, but I have to say that the aqua blue car was stunning. Now for some background. I'm 57; our 997.2 C4S is my wife's daily driver and my (our) weekend and trip car; I've owned five 911s, starting with our '87 Targa; I've never driven any of them on a track, but I love spirited, country road driving; I'm far from an expert driver, but I know what I like. That all being said, I'm just going to give you some general impressions from a pretty average car enthusiast, instead of a blow by blow description of the handling vs a 997.

The car looks great, even the back end. I know a lot of owners like the "droopy" look of a Porsche's rear, but I like the more "lifted" look of the new car. A few of the cars had the model deleted in favor of just "911" under the Porsche lettering, and it looks pretty good. I was going to opt for a total model delete, but I might go with the 911 when I order. The open sunroof certainly isn't as sleek as previous cars, but it's not all that bad. The rear spoiler looks very nice when deployed. I liked the 20" wheels, and they didn't make the brakes look small.

The new interior might be heading in the GT direction, but I don't care. I loved it. Since I will be getting a manual, I was concerned about the location of the shifter, but assuming that it'll be in the same position as that of the PDK, it fell right into my hand when I dropped my right hand off the wheel. Some have concerns that there won't be enough room in the footwell for 3 pedals - I don't see that it will be a problem. Of course, I wear a size 6 1/2 shoe, so I might have a different view than most. As you might have guessed, I'm on the small side (5'4 1/4, I refuse to round down), but I didn't feel that the cockpit was too big. It still has the intimate, sports car feel of my 997. The standard leather was nice, but the full leather, especially with the aluminum strip on the doors, was outstanding.

My test drive was short and didn't include any winding back roads, only some highway and local streets. The steering was absolutely perfect. Oh, maybe the purist will see some big difference with the new system, but for most it will be unnoticeable. Just great Porsche steering.

The ride was amazing. In my 997, I sort of tense up when I approach a badly heaved or rutted road waiting for the rough ride ahead. This car just sailed over the bumps. Some might not like it, but it worked for me.

The car sounded amazing with the PSE engaged, and almost amazing when not. Worth $3000? That's up to the individual. If I was on a budget, I'd probably forgo it in favor of something like full leather. The Bose sound system sounded just fine, but if you're a real audiophile and have the extra dollars for Burmester, go for it.

Lastly, this was the first time I've driven a PDK equipped car. All of my Porsches have had true manual transmissions, and my next one will have it, too. It's a great system, but I just didn't like not pushing in a clutch pedal and shifting. I tried the paddles and manually shifting the gear lever, but it wasn't the same. In fact, as I pulled into the parking spot at the end of the drive, I pushed my left foot down on the phantom clutch pedal while rolling to a stop. The drive really reaffirmed my decision to get a true manual transmission when the time comes to order one.

Well, that's my report. For those of you taking delivery soon, enjoy!
Old 02-08-2012, 05:16 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,102 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by tgcrun
Since I don't have a Porsche dealer nearby, I took advantage of a business trip to Philadelphia and stopped by Porsche of Conshohocken for a look and a drive.

First, they had several colors there, but I have to say that the aqua blue car was stunning. Now for some background. I'm 57; our 997.2 C4S is my wife's daily driver and my (our) weekend and trip car; I've owned five 911s, starting with our '87 Targa; I've never driven any of them on a track, but I love spirited, country road driving; I'm far from an expert driver, but I know what I like. That all being said, I'm just going to give you some general impressions from a pretty average car enthusiast, instead of a blow by blow description of the handling vs a 997.

The car looks great, even the back end. I know a lot of owners like the "droopy" look of a Porsche's rear, but I like the more "lifted" look of the new car. A few of the cars had the model deleted in favor of just "911" under the Porsche lettering, and it looks pretty good. I was going to opt for a total model delete, but I might go with the 911 when I order. The open sunroof certainly isn't as sleek as previous cars, but it's not all that bad. The rear spoiler looks very nice when deployed. I liked the 20" wheels, and they didn't make the brakes look small.

The new interior might be heading in the GT direction, but I don't care. I loved it. Since I will be getting a manual, I was concerned about the location of the shifter, but assuming that it'll be in the same position as that of the PDK, it fell right into my hand when I dropped my right hand off the wheel. Some have concerns that there won't be enough room in the footwell for 3 pedals - I don't see that it will be a problem. Of course, I wear a size 6 1/2 shoe, so I might have a different view than most. As you might have guessed, I'm on the small side (5'4 1/4, I refuse to round down), but I didn't feel that the cockpit was too big. It still has the intimate, sports car feel of my 997. The standard leather was nice, but the full leather, especially with the aluminum strip on the doors, was outstanding.

My test drive was short and didn't include any winding back roads, only some highway and local streets. The steering was absolutely perfect. Oh, maybe the purist will see some big difference with the new system, but for most it will be unnoticeable. Just great Porsche steering.

The ride was amazing. In my 997, I sort of tense up when I approach a badly heaved or rutted road waiting for the rough ride ahead. This car just sailed over the bumps. Some might not like it, but it worked for me.

The car sounded amazing with the PSE engaged, and almost amazing when not. Worth $3000? That's up to the individual. If I was on a budget, I'd probably forgo it in favor of something like full leather. The Bose sound system sounded just fine, but if you're a real audiophile and have the extra dollars for Burmester, go for it.

Lastly, this was the first time I've driven a PDK equipped car. All of my Porsches have had true manual transmissions, and my next one will have it, too. It's a great system, but I just didn't like not pushing in a clutch pedal and shifting. I tried the paddles and manually shifting the gear lever, but it wasn't the same. In fact, as I pulled into the parking spot at the end of the drive, I pushed my left foot down on the phantom clutch pedal while rolling to a stop. The drive really reaffirmed my decision to get a true manual transmission when the time comes to order one.

Well, that's my report. For those of you taking delivery soon, enjoy!
A few ?s. 1. I was told that "PORSCHE" on the back deck couldn't be deleted, but the dealer "might" remove it as part of delivery prep.
2. Did you see white, the metallic brown or Agate gray? And? No pics?
3. Did the car have PDCC?
I agree on the PDK/manual thing, but I'm 58. Just don't think I could do it.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:43 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

No pics. I only had my phone with me, and I didn't think I could add anything worthwhile to what's already been posted.

The car didn't have PDCC, but even if it did, I wasn't on the kind of roads on which it would have made a difference.

They had white and agate grey cars that both looked great. I wasn't impressed with black. Surprisingly, red didn't blow me away, and I've had three red Porsches. I think it might have been that the red brakes didn't contrast. I was considering getting a red one, but now I'm not so sure. That aqua blue one was outstanding.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:25 PM
packwest
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TG, 100% agree with you on the PDK. It was also my first time driving it, and I was a little bored by it. It made the driving too easy, and i felt disconnected from the driving experience. At the end of the day, I don't see what the big deal is all about with the PDK.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:26 AM
Kelderek
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Keadog
I was told that "PORSCHE" on the back deck couldn't be deleted, but the dealer "might" remove it as part of delivery prep.
That is correct, the factory option "deletion of model designation" only means deletion of the "Carrera" or "Carrera S", the "PORSCHE" remains.
On the 981 they actaully move the "PORSCHE" letters further down to make it look better when "Boxster" is removed. Might be the same for the 911.

Removal of the "PORSCHE" letters has to be done after it leaves the factory...
Old 02-10-2012, 10:24 AM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

To piggyback on Kelderek's answer to the Porsche logo question if you don't like the stock appearance, you can order the car with only "Porsche" and no model designation at no charge or with "Porsche" and "911" underneath it for $95. You can't get one from the factory with no lettering. From what I've read in several posts, the letters are glued on, and you can remove them using dental floss. Maybe the dealer would be willing to do that for you. In pictures, the bumper looks busy with all the stock lettering on it, but after seeing the car in person, I don't think it looks bad. If you don't like having the model designation, I would go with just "Porsche". I think the bumper might look too stark with nothing on it.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:11 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i wonder if Porsche exclusive and truely do anything!
Old 02-10-2012, 03:28 PM
19_hole
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered mine with 911 under the Porsche....thought that it looked a lot cleaner.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:58 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 19_hole
I ordered mine with 911 under the Porsche....thought that it looked a lot cleaner.
That's not a bad way to go. Originally, I was thinking that just having "Porsche" on the rear was the best look, but I liked the "911" below it once I saw it in real life. The only strange thing is that Porsche charges nothing to have the model designation deleted but then adds $95 to have "911" put back on. Not that $95 means much in the scheme of things, but it doesn't make much sense.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:02 AM
dodo1porsche
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelderek
That is correct, the factory option "deletion of model designation" only means deletion of the "Carrera" or "Carrera S", the "PORSCHE" remains.
On the 981 they actaully move the "PORSCHE" letters further down to make it look better when "Boxster" is removed. Might be the same for the 911.

Removal of the "PORSCHE" letters has to be done after it leaves the factory...
you may want to consider option CWL "PORSCHE" painted in exterior color. It is 220 Euros in Germany.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:09 AM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Excellent write up. I agree with some points and disagree with others. Just a personal deal.

But, I do care for a manual tranny a great deal and would like to drive one when available.

I also don't care for the 'paragraph' on the back of the car. And, I typically like an understated car/color. I'd prolly have the dealer delete everything on the back and have Eric (The Plug Guy) get me some satin black "911" numerals to pop on.

Quick Reply: Short Test Drive