Maintenance on 991

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 02:37 PM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
If you can't remove a fan panel that is probably two electrical connectors and maybe 6 bolts, you're not much of a mechanic and probably shouldn't be changing the oil in any case.

Of course its by design. But if you can't adapt, then again, you aren't much of a mechanic.

Oh, you want to see the motor do you? Kinda like you can see it in the 997:

wow, part of an alternator and a whole lot of black plastic. I mean is this really anything impressive? Its not like anyone is spending hours admiring all that black plastic.

If a deal breaker is having to remove a bumper cover every 30k miles, then maybe a longhood is more your style.

The 458 huh? Glad thats not nearly $300k with some options. NOt to mention, if you think that car is easy to service, you have another thing coming. Ask your local ferrari dealer how much a set of clutches cost.
I disagree

I'm talking routine service here, not clutches, etc.
Price of the car has nothing to do with anything here other than the fact $300k for a car seems to be an issue with you
Having to take body panels off to change air filters is stupid
At least on previous P cars you could see enough in the engine compartment to check for leaks, etc.
And calling me out "because I can't adapt" is insulting and shows are truly ignorant you are to the point being made

Last edited by KINGSRULE; 09-03-2012 at 07:30 AM.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:59 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't agree GJ. Quad made his points well. A previous post stated the bumper removal was a 20 min procedure. To say you are not going to buy a 991 (you said deal breaker)because of a 20 minute procedure that needed to be performed every 15-40,000 miles, and were considering a 458 Ferrari instead, leaves you wide open for such a post.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:47 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by solomonschris
I don't agree GJ. Quad made his points well. A previous post stated the bumper removal was a 20 min procedure. To say you are not going to buy a 991 (you said deal breaker)because of a 20 minute procedure that needed to be performed every 15-40,000 miles, and were considering a 458 Ferrari instead, leaves you wide open for such a post.
Considering a 458 iso you can work on it yourself cause a 991 is too hard? Doesn't rise to bogus.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:56 PM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
If you can't remove a fan panel that is probably two electrical connectors and maybe 6 bolts, you're not much of a mechanic and probably shouldn't be changing the oil in any case.

Of course its by design. But if you can't adapt, then again, you aren't much of a mechanic.

Oh, you want to see the motor do you? Kinda like you can see it in the 997:

wow, part of an alternator and a whole lot of black plastic. I mean is this really anything impressive? Its not like anyone is spending hours admiring all that black plastic.

If a deal breaker is having to remove a bumper cover every 30k miles, then maybe a longhood is more your style.

The 458 huh? Glad thats not nearly $300k with some options. NOt to mention, if you think that car is easy to service, you have another thing coming. Ask your local ferrari dealer how much a set of clutches cost.
See above

Last edited by KINGSRULE; 09-03-2012 at 07:17 AM.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:57 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

So Chuck, I took my tt over to Reston yesterday. I didn't see a single 991 there. I thought I might meet you. Having more in your life than Porsche is a great indication of mental health. Maybe next time.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:18 PM
wanderingwheelz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a "leftover" 997.2 brand new in the beginning of summer and I've already put high performance air filters on (a half hour job if you go slow) and completely redid the exhaust- primary as well as secondary. All by myself with no experience whatsoever with both jobs. I really enjoyed doing it too. Sounds to me like the 991 may not be that type of car. That's a shame in my humble opinion. With the modifications I did I figure my car puts out @410 hp +/- which is more than the 991S puts out. Plus I get the benefit of the superior steering feel.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:49 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

So Wanderingwheels, It sounds like you have determined some ways to improve the 997.
You don't mean to imply that your results exceed those of Porsche. They wanted to release a new 911 so the new 991 was just that improvement over the 997. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but performance can be measured. I'll bet the 991 is superior to the 997 in every way. I loved my 997 but time moves on. The 991 is a terrific car. It doesn't hold a candle to my 993tt in ways that are more cerebral than easily measurable, but it is a truly great car. Porsche has much to be proud of.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:58 PM
wanderingwheelz
Instructor

I drove the 991 before making the decision to my the 997. Bear in mind my car had a sticker of $110,775 and I bought it for $88,000. That is brand new with 17 miles on it. A smart man once told me that price is only an issue in the absence of value. I went with value. The 991 is a nice car and I'll buy one when it's at the end of its model run and save another $25,000. My car is at least 90% of the comparable 991 anyway. Plus it's just a weekend toy not a daily driver- where the 991 offers its real value in my opinion. To 99% of the viewing public there's no difference. My daughter and I must have gotten 10 compliments on it last night driving it through town for a half hour.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:27 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by solomonschris
So Chuck, I took my tt over to Reston yesterday. I didn't see a single 991 there. I thought I might meet you. Having more in your life than Porsche is a great indication of mental health. Maybe next time.
Sorry I missed you and that beautiful car! But, re my mental health- you may have to adjust your diagnosis.

I got to Reston with the 991 in a small caravan, chasing a hot early Targa and a very custom 914 6 who knew a route over country roads from Cars n Coffee in Great Falls, where I had been since 6:30 am. Arrived at about 9:30 am and left at about noon. There was also a gray 991S while I was there just in front of the fountain. We are both regulars at Katie's Cars n Coffee on Saturday. There was also a silver 993 TT who had been at Katie's earlier. I guess the 991 just blends in- or is overshadowed by all those 356s- maybe thats why it has its name rank and serial number all over its backside!
Old 09-02-2012, 08:29 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by wanderingwheelz
I drove the 991 before making the decision to my the 997. Bear in mind my car had a sticker of $110,775 and I bought it for $88,000. That is brand new with 17 miles on it. A smart man once told me that price is only an issue in the absence of value. I went with value. The 991 is a nice car and I'll buy one when it's at the end of its model run and save another $25,000. My car is at least 90% of the comparable 991 anyway. Plus it's just a weekend toy not a daily driver- where the 991 offers its real value in my opinion. To 99% of the viewing public there's no difference. My daughter and I must have gotten 10 compliments on it last night driving it through town for a half hour.
No need to rationalize - that is a beautiful car!
Old 09-02-2012, 08:32 PM
wanderingwheelz
Instructor

It is pretty awesome. It's the only time my 15 year old daughter asks to spend time with me. Hey dad let's go for a ride! Priceless
Old 09-02-2012, 10:40 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

$22k off MSRP is pretty good!
Old 09-03-2012, 01:26 AM
wanderingwheelz
Instructor

$23000 made walking away from the latest-and-greatest 991 a little easier. My dealer was offering 6% off 991 cars, not 20% like the 997S I bought.

The way I see it, I can buy a 991 whenever I'm ready. But I love the car I have... The discounts on the 991 will get better down the road.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:29 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,385 Likes on 804 Posts

Originally Posted by GJ
I disagree

I'm talking routine service here, not clutches, etc.
Price of the car has nothing to do with anything here other than the fact $300k for a car seems to be an issue with you
Having to take body panels off to change air filters is stupid
At least on previous P cars you could see enough in the engine compartment to check for leaks, etc.
And calling me out "because I can't adapt" is insulting and shows are truly ignorant you are to the point being made
Clutches are routine service on ferraris.

Now then, if you don't want to pull the bumper to change your air filters, have your dealer or indy do it. If you can't pull the bumper cover because you don't know how or are scared to do so, maybe you shouldn't be working on expensive cars.

Price of a car is important to me. Yeah, I'm not buying a $300k car because I can't afford it. If its a non-issue for you, great, head down to the ferrari dealer.

A bumper is not a body panel.

oh really? Leaks from above I hope you mean, because my 993 came with an undertray. Oh wait, my car has a huge intercooler covering the engine bay, you can't see crap...and its a bit more difficult than a few snaps to take off.

The ability to adapt is important for a mechanic. If you can't operate a computer these days, how are you gonna fix modern cars? Hell, you may be great at setting points, but what good is that nowadays.

New stuff comes out. You look at it, figure out how to do it, and then DO IT.

Go change the spark plugs on a 993 and tell me that porsches have always been easy to work on.

Its a BUMPER...a big flexy piece of plastic...thats it. The video has been posted, its not hard, it fits back in the way it came out, and once its off, the filter is right there.

WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL????????

Originally Posted by wanderingwheelz
I bought a "leftover" 997.2 brand new in the beginning of summer and I've already put high performance air filters on (a half hour job if you go slow) and completely redid the exhaust- primary as well as secondary. All by myself with no experience whatsoever with both jobs. I really enjoyed doing it too. Sounds to me like the 991 may not be that type of car. That's a shame in my humble opinion. With the modifications I did I figure my car puts out @410 hp +/- which is more than the 991S puts out. Plus I get the benefit of the superior steering feel.
Your whizbang performance air filter is probably coating your maf with a nice coat of oil as we type.

As for your performance figures, I'd put the car on a dyno before you start claiming 25bhp increases.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:28 AM
wanderingwheelz
Instructor

Your whizbang performance air filter is probably coating your maf with a nice coat of oil as we type.

As for your performance figures, I'd put the car on a dyno before you start claiming 25bhp increases.[/QUOTE]

I was only going by what Sharkwerks claims in performance increases on it's cross pipes, as well as what AWE Tuning claim in performance increases with it's S FLO high performance air filters. Both have been verified with Dyno testing- you are welcome to view the graphs on each companies website. No, I wasn't there to watch the actual testing... But both companies are very highly regarded in Porsche aftermarket tuning-land. I have no reason not to trust the numbers.

I very seriously doubt the cotton air filters on my car are going to damage it in any way. Hilarious! I appreciate your concern, though.

Quick Reply: Maintenance on 991