Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The 991 rides too rough!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 11:11 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

your crazy, way soft.. even in sport mode for me...

went over train tracks and it was as if they werent even there.... maybe u were in sport plus? not sure... i was insanely surprised.

i can't even imagine what you'd say driving in my exige...
Old 01-30-2012, 02:21 AM
tibookx
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could shipping blocks still be in the suspension?
Old 01-30-2012, 02:23 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

goes to show you porsche can make something amazing but some will still find something wrong..

sports cars are not made to be floaty,
Old 01-30-2012, 09:33 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

20" rims are going to make the car feel harsh. Even if the suspension in the 991 is softer then previous generations.

I noticed a difference just going from 18's to 19's
Old 01-30-2012, 11:47 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Houston has some streets with really bad potholes, so I guess you could say it rides rough when going over them. And yea, the 19's are rough enough, I can only imagine 20's.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:56 AM
jjoey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tibookx
Could shipping blocks still be in the suspension?
I was thinking that too.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:54 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

not sure about this one. this is the most comfortable 911 that has ever been built, and i too have driven it. it is the perfect combination of comfortable when it needs to be, and beastly when it needs to be.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:41 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 546 Posts

i wont flame you Not everyone is a 911 or a sports car person. Most of my friends cant understand why i dont have a Mercedes, Audi or BMW. They're more comfortable and more practical.

However, as far as 911's go, the 991 Carrera is reportedly the most GT like from a ride standpoint. I have not driven it but all the "experts" from Chris Harris on down, say the same thing.

For me, I have sports PASM (lowered and sportier) but i leave it in normal 90% of the time. Its more "luxe" than my 996 but everyone who rides with me says its firm. And thats the way I like it

Do not get into a GT3 if you thought a 991 was harsh.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:05 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by texas911
Houston has some streets with really bad potholes, so I guess you could say it rides rough when going over them. And yea, the 19's are rough enough, I can only imagine 20's.
Actually... the 20s should offer a smoother ride. PAG increases diameter but keeps sidewall constant. Larger diameter and same sidewall yield smoother ride. RR always had large rims.

Larger rims lead to harsher ride if the sidewall height decreased in the process. Not the case here. Sidewall is the same.

The advantage of 18s/19s is lower mass for handling.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:34 PM
GoTexas
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Franklin229
I say Ford LTD in your future for sure-
Oh the Ford LTD...I remembered biking around the apartment complex parking lot admiring all of the LTD's, and thinking how lucky those people are. After my parents lost all their life savings while escaping our country so we can make a better life in the USA (side note: Mr. Cab driver, if you're reading this, please give us back the bag we left on the floor of your cab. You know what was in it since you've probably retired from your job because of it ), they couldn't afford the $2k price tag of the LTD. They ended up getting some fugly '75 station wagon, which has a rear end that looks like a catfish. So, I wouldn't mind getting the LTD just to go back down to memory lane.

Originally Posted by DrJay
Perhaps you are not a sports car kind of guy.
ding ding ding...winner. Luckily, I am not going to be the primary driver.

Originally Posted by Rushman71
This car is going to be my daily driver... and I don't see any comfort issues.
Comfort = Lexus. I know many of you are going to say Lexus = Boring, and I agree at times.

Originally Posted by rijowysock
your crazy, way soft.. even in sport mode for me...
Sit in my Lexus, and you will know what soft is...

Originally Posted by rijowysock
goes to show you porsche can make something amazing but some will still find something wrong..
Not necessarily wrong, but was just not to my liking...

Originally Posted by jumper5836
20" rims are going to make the car feel harsh. Even if the suspension in the 991 is softer then previous generations.

I noticed a difference just going from 18's to 19's
True that...keep in mind that our cars have 17's, and 18's, and they're sedans so there's a lot of room for suspension travel to absorb the bumps.

I was on Enclave between Eldridge and Briar Forest. This road is curvy so I thought it would be a good place to test out the handling, but I guess it has deteriorated a lot since the last time I drove on it. Are you familiar with this road?

Originally Posted by blk on blk
not sure about this one. this is the most comfortable 911 that has ever been built, and i too have driven it. it is the perfect combination of comfortable when it needs to be, and beastly when it needs to be.
not sure about the most comfortable, but I surely agree it is the best looking one...she sure is a beauty

Originally Posted by rodsky
i wont flame you Not everyone is a 911 or a sports car person. Most of my friends cant understand why i dont have a Mercedes, Audi or BMW. They're more comfortable and more practical.
Thank you! After the test drive, I offered to get her the S 63 AMG, M5, Panamera, or A8. To which, she calmly replied "no thank you".
Old 01-30-2012, 11:13 PM
Rushman71
Instructor

Originally Posted by ADias
Actually... the 20s should offer a smoother ride. PAG increases diameter but keeps sidewall constant. Larger diameter and same sidewall yield smoother ride. RR always had large rims.
You beat me to it. Also, decreased angle of impact over road irregularities is improved by larger diameter wheels also improving ride.

But the primary reason Porsche has gone to 20" wheels is fuel economy and the lower rolling resistance offered by larger diameter wheels.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:23 AM
drjim
Advanced

My 996 TT with coil-overs and 19's was HARSH. My Charger SRT8 rides on 20's, has a relatively "firm" suspension and isn't bad at all. I test drove a Fisker Karma the other day (beautiful), that has the biggest-looking wheels (stock) I have ever seen on a car. They were 22 inch and low profile on a car weighing 5500 lbs. !!! It actually drove very well leaning toward the sporting side and was not harsh at all. Comments/opinions like "harsh, firm, etc." are VERY subjective based on the reviewers likes/dislikes and other automotive frames of reference.

Quick Reply: The 991 rides too rough!!!