Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My take on the 991 ... (long)

Old 01-28-2012, 07:26 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Default My take on the 991 ... (long)

Took a look at a black/black PDK S in Rhode Island today. Here's my take on what I saw. I had my '09 TT cab for comparison.

Could not drive the car as I has not been prepped. The car sat quite high for some reason. Higher in the front than the back. About 3 inches from the bottom of the front wheel well to the top of the tire. Shipping shims? Dunno. But, that was odd. Sales person had no clue.

Car was basalt black and quite striking. One obvious difference from the 997 (as we all know) is the fender crease that continues into the convex headlight covers. I like it.

The front looks a bit bulkier than the 997 and the fender flares on the S looked wider than my Turbo's. Frontal aspect of the car appears much larger than the 997. Air intakes looked larger than previous models, too.

The car had the sport design 20s on it. Similar to my Turbo. I'm not that fond of this design. I prefer the classic design 20s. Wheels look great IMO as to the size. I like them better than the 19s.

There is an obvious rake to the windscreen compared to the present model. Looks quite nice. Lots of area between the glass and the bonnet to collect all sorts of leaves and crap. Just like my Dodge Ram. I prefer the present filler in this area.

The rear of the car has a neat crease from the top to the center of the rear quarter. Nice and crisp. I like that. The spoiler was deployed and looked like an after thought to me. You can see the mechanical hinges (chrome/SS?) at the edges and an unfinished look to the area that is exposed. Not so nice.

Mirrors mounted on the doors are nice. But, they are Dumbo huge. Thanx to the EU, I am sure. I prefer smaller less ear-like side mirrors. Regulations I guess.

This car had the optional 'sun roof' and the interior of the car prophets from this unusual configuration since the roof does not slide into the back of the car, it open above and slides back. This gives more head room to the car that is lower than previous models. I sat in the car with a ball cap tilted up in front and did not have the hat touch. And, I'm 6' 2".

The rear of the car is ... well, quite round. The tail lights are nice and small and look quite nice both lit and off. As you know, there are 2 tail fascias. One for the ROW and one for USA. I prefer the former as the cut out matches the tail pipe curves better as they are closer to them. The US version is sorta dumpy and smallish. Oh, and the 4 exhaust tips are overly small and not so 'manly' as I'd like. Aftermarket will take care of these I am sure.

I fired the car up in the dealership as the doors were open. The car had PSE and even with it off sounded much better than my OEM Turbo's note. Which was rather pathetic before Cargraphic gave it some well needed rumble. Punching the button to activate the PSE gave a really nice sound. Aftermarket exhausts will not be needed IMO with this set up.

The interior looks upgraded. I think this car had the standard interior. Black is hard to determine and I don't remember it on the build sheet. Anyway, the interior has some tribute to previous 911s with the fold out door panels like old 911s. I'm neutral on these. Storage is always a premium in the 911 and this on has not given more. The long, deep dash shows how the windscreen is pushed out. The sport chrono 'wart' is now a bit recessed, but there are lots of louvers on the dash. Not sure if they were audio or vents.

The center console and stack are obviously different than before. The side of my knee made contact with the console in a different position than present. The shifter ... which in this car was PDK/stick ... is higher than my 6 speed **** and your arm is angled up on this configuration. Same would be true of the manual. I prefer where my shifter is. My arm is flat in the Turbo so the throws are straight forward/backward. I suppose the new 991 will have sort of an angulated throw pattern? Not what I think I'll like, but I'll have to drive one to see.

Interior quality (sport seats) seemed more comfy than mine. The steering wheel now tilts and telescopes electrically. (I think these features work as I found a handle that did tilt the wheel and suppose it telescopes it as well.) Nice feature. PDK buttons on the wheel are in the neutral position and were EZ to flick. Lots of smallish buttons all over the place as usual with Porsche. This car had the smoker's option and the cig lighter was childishly small. I don't have huge hands, but whole thing was like an inch long. Tiny. I won't be getting this feature. I also will miss (for a while) the hand brake. All my previous cars had this ... but, it's gone.

One more interior thing. The driver's foot well is smaller than my car's. Feels like my feet and legs are angled to the center of the car. The dead pedal certainly feels different. Different angle? Different position? Just feels like the foot well is smaller all together. No likey.

Anyway ... the car is beautiful. BIGGER for sure, but still looks like a 911. Wheel base is obviously longer as is the track. This can be easily seen. I like the new rake of the windshield and the front/rear fender creases. LEDs look good, too, tho not as neat as Audi's. I think the rear of the car is the least attractive view. Side view is very nice.

I look forward to a debut here in CT in a few days. Perhaps a different color car. And, I look forward to driving a car soon, too. That should be an experience.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:34 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

sat high because of the front shims (for transport) many people had issues where dealers would forget to remove these upon delivery in the 997 days.

the electric adjustable steering wheel i believe is only with 14/18 way seating... i assume this one had the 18 way "sport seats"? was it a full leather interior?

i noticed the foot well difference as getting in/out i knocked my shoe against the dash a few times... definitely different feeling.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:22 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rijowysock
sat high because of the front shims (for transport) many people had issues where dealers would forget to remove these upon delivery in the 997 days.

the electric adjustable steering wheel i believe is only with 14/18 way seating... i assume this one had the 18 way "sport seats"? was it a full leather interior?

i noticed the foot well difference as getting in/out i knocked my shoe against the dash a few times... definitely different feeling.
I suspected shipping shims, but would have expected the shop to remove same B4 placing the car in the showroom.

Yes, sport seats. Don't think it was full leather.

Sticker was $120+K
Old 01-29-2012, 01:20 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i agree the mirrors are BIG. BTW the look exactly like VWs truck: http://www.edmunds.com/volkswagen/touareg/2012/?sub=suv
Old 01-29-2012, 08:58 AM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kosmo
i agree the mirrors are BIG. BTW the look exactly like VWs truck: http://www.edmunds.com/volkswagen/touareg/2012/?sub=suv
Why, yes they do appear quite similar. Parent VW's parts bin artifacts?

I know years ago, my GFs Passat 4Motion had Audi stamped on some of the underpinnings. I guess it was essentially an A4.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My take on the 991 ... (long)