Standard exhaust or sport?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 09:27 AM
LonnieR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Standard exhaust or sport?

I thought I would need to order the 991 with sport exhaust but I heard the standard 991 Carrera S exhaust and it was awesome. I'm not sure that a little better sound is worth $3K.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:32 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

YES IT IS! I heard (and drove) the new 991 on Thursday with PSE. Awesome.
Attached Images  
Old 01-28-2012, 11:54 AM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The sport exhaust looks complicated to me
And I'll bet it's heavier than the standard exhaust. Something to consider..
Old 01-28-2012, 01:07 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GJ
The sport exhaust looks complicated to me
And I'll bet it's heavier than the standard exhaust. Something to consider..
The weight is something to consider, of course, however, I would not let that sway my ultimate decision to order PSE.

Imo, the weight penalty (if I were to guess is 15-25lbs), is not significant enough to warrant any realized loss in chassis dynamics or acceleration. Especially for a street car, even one that may see a few DEs a year.

If this were a hardcore track car, that may be another story, but even then would not really effect the performance much if even measurable.

The complexity is not really something I'd be concerned with. First, there is warranty, secondly, post warranty repair work on the flaps or whatever exhaust related issue would be easily resolved and likely not expensive. The sound and enjoyment of PSE far out-weighs any of the aforementioned, imo.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:30 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

i thought the standard exhaust sounded great as well, the sport is just deeper from bypassing the side mufflers partially..

do a gundo hack for 300$ and save yourself $2700 and get same result, thats what i am doing.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:22 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
The weight is something to consider, of course, however, I would not let that sway my ultimate decision to order PSE.

Imo, the weight penalty (if I were to guess is 15-25lbs), is not significant enough to warrant any realized loss in chassis dynamics or acceleration. Especially for a street car, even one that may see a few DEs a year.

If this were a hardcore track car, that may be another story, but even then would not really effect the performance much if even measurable.

The complexity is not really something I'd be concerned with. First, there is warranty, secondly, post warranty repair work on the flaps or whatever exhaust related issue would be easily resolved and likely not expensive. The sound and enjoyment of PSE far out-weighs any of the aforementioned, imo.
Agree across the board, and I bet the weight gain for the bypass tubes, vacuum valves and wiring adds 10-12 pounds at most.

Originally Posted by rijowysock
i thought the standard exhaust sounded great as well, the sport is just deeper from bypassing the side mufflers partially..

do a gundo hack for 300$ and save yourself $2700 and get same result, thats what i am doing.
Porsche spends probably hundreds of engineering man hours to design the perfect exhaust for it's new 911 only to have the new owner cut it up so it will make more noise. Whether it works or not, that just doesn't seem right. Besides, I'd have a hard time using "hack" and my new 991 in the same sentence.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:47 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Porsche spends probably hundreds of engineering man hours to design the perfect exhaust for it's new 911 only to have the new owner cut it up so it will make more noise. Whether it works or not, that just doesn't seem right. Besides, I'd have a hard time using "hack" and my new 991 in the same sentence.
if you look at a PSE system in detail, it does the exact same thing (which i assume is how the "gundo hack" came about..)... it's not all about "sound", just like PSE, it allows the engine to breathe easier and you notice a little extra tq down low and breathes easier up top.

Standard exhaust: engine-->header-->center muffler-->side muffler-->tips

PSE OFF: Engine-->header-->center muffler-->side muffler-->tips

...............................................................>> extra pressure allowed to bypass side muffler to tips
PSE ON: Engine-->Header-->center muffler^--->side Muffler--->Tips

(PSE ON: baffles only open according to EU sound laws (certain speeds)

........................................................................>> extra pressure allowed to bypass side muffler to tips
Gundo Hack: Engine-->header--->center muffler^-->side muffler-->Tips

The "gundo hack" does exactly what the PSE does but without the "baffle" that opens and closes at speed and with button on dash..

"pulling the vacuum hose off" on PSE which most do, is then EXACTLY the same as Gundo Hack..
Old 01-28-2012, 03:19 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by rijowysock
if you look at a PSE system in detail, it does the exact same thing (which i assume is how the "gundo hack" came about..)... it's not all about "sound", just like PSE, it allows the engine to breathe easier and you notice a little extra tq down low and breathes easier up top.

Standard exhaust: engine-->header-->center muffler-->side muffler-->tips

PSE OFF: Engine-->header-->center muffler-->side muffler-->tips

...............................................................>> extra pressure allowed to bypass side muffler to tips
PSE ON: Engine-->Header-->center muffler^--->side Muffler--->Tips

(PSE ON: baffles only open according to EU sound laws (certain speeds)

........................................................................>> extra pressure allowed to bypass side muffler to tips
Gundo Hack: Engine-->header--->center muffler^-->side muffler-->Tips

The "gundo hack" does exactly what the PSE does but without the "baffle" that opens and closes at speed and with button on dash..

"pulling the vacuum hose off" on PSE which most do, is then EXACTLY the same as Gundo Hack..
I'm aware of how the PSE works; I installed one myself on my 996 and have it on both my Cayenne and Carrera. It's not "exactly" the same as the so called gundo hack. The diameter of the crossover pipes in the gundo hack is different from the PSE's bypass pipes and they're placed in a diffferent location in the exhaust stream. Porsche claims no performance increase or breathing improvement for PSE and there's no data which supports that claim for the gundo hack either, AFAIK, although if I had to bet on which design had the least detrimental effect on performance I'd go with Porsche.

It's your car so obviously you're free to do as you like, and I wish you good luck with it. I just personally wouldn't be interested in doing a bootleg mod on my brand new 991.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:40 PM
AF330i
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

I find PSE to be an option that makes the decision of getting it tough whether to go for it or not ...

It is an expensive option which gives absolutely no performance improvement yet sounds incredible ... I don't like that the default is always in the off position and you need to push a button to get extra sound though there probably will an aftermarket fix for this in the future.

In my E350 (I know it's not a sports car) I have a sport button for the transmission which defaults to non-sport each time the car is shut off. I like driving it in sport mode all the time yet more than 1/2 the time I forget to push the button. I find it super annoying to have to keep pushing the button every time I start the car.

As far as PSE it's like I want that extra sound but it's like I am paying $3,000 for just extra sound which I have to remember to push a button each and every time to use it so in other words I have to remember to push this button about 8 to 10 time a day.

Arghhh decisions decisions ...
Old 02-04-2012, 01:31 AM
gerenb
Intermediate

I just received the Technik Service Information manual on the 991 and it has a few interesting nuggets of information. Here is a quote from the manual:

"The main innovation to the sports exhaust system is an extended functionality. For the first time, activating the sports exhaust system not only derestricts the exhaust gas routing but also enables the two exhaust tracks to be connected. This pairs an unmistakable flat-six engine sound with optimum performance."

It also says the PSE provides a "sporty sound and improved torque curve."

Based on what I'm reading, it looks like it provides slightly better performance by crossover pipe functionality and modestly reduced back pressure from the standard exhaust.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:12 AM
Rushman71
Instructor

Originally Posted by gerenb
I just received the Technik Service Information manual on the 991 and it has a few interesting nuggets of information. Here is a quote from the manual:

"The main innovation to the sports exhaust system is an extended functionality. For the first time, activating the sports exhaust system not only derestricts the exhaust gas routing but also enables the two exhaust tracks to be connected. This pairs an unmistakable flat-six engine sound with optimum performance."

Based on what I'm reading, it looks like it provides slightly better performance by crossover pipe functionality and modestly reduced back pressure from the standard exhaust.
Very cool!
Old 02-04-2012, 02:13 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by gerenb

That is interesting. Porsche made no performance claims for the previous PSE so this adds another point in it's favor on the new car.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:07 PM
cat1pro
7th Gear

I feel like it's faster when it's louder. So louder is better!
Old 02-04-2012, 06:33 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 473 Likes on 271 Posts

Standard is more than loud enough for me!

Tom
Old 02-07-2012, 05:36 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the standard is better then the 997's PSE. Frankly I would pass and so a bypass pipe that im sure is coming. SHarkey, AWE hello?!!!

Quick Reply: Standard exhaust or sport?