Sponsored by:

My Two Cents On The New Steering

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 11:10 PM
Rushman71
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Two Cents On The New Steering

Just wanted to give my two cents on the new steering coming from someone with a racing background having numerous karting championships including a national championship. I also worked at the Jim Hall Kart Racing School and Skip Barber in my younger years. I have been a HPDE instructor working with numerous smaller clubs and individuals for nearly a decade. So take that for what it's worth.

I am hearing complaints about the new steering not giving all the information the previous generation car's steering had. But the question isn't whether it doesn't have all the feedback. It's whether it's giving you all the information you need. I have spent considerable time in previous gen 911's and I have always felt it was trying too hard to feel like a racecar through the steering wheel.

Racecars don't filter anything, but that also means a lot of unnecessary information gets through and the driver now has to act as a secondary filter deciding what is pertinent and what isn't. From everything I have read, no one is claiming the new 911's steering doesn't give all the necessary information. So while it may not be as lively, it's actually better. I analogize it to someone screaming important information in your ear vs speaking at a normal volume. Sure, the former is more exciting, but it's unnecessary and tiring.

The allure of the 991 for me is that it succeeds as both a touring car and a sportscar and it doesn't compromise on either front. That's almost an impossible proposition from and engineering standpoint with only the Ferrari 458 in the same ballpark, but at 2.5 times the price. I have been in many "sports cars" that beat the hell out of you with no real benefit. That's just ridiculous childishness.

So I think most of the real resistance you see is just human nature. Humans don't like change. And that's understandable with the 911 because it is such an icon and people are scared of it getting "messed up." Of course I have to reserve final judgment until I actually drive a 991 which should be soon, but I really am not worried.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:48 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 219 Posts

I am a fan of change and think it is great.

You may be somewhat right that the 991 is both a touring car and a sportscar, but unfortunately it is MORE of a touring car. Nothing wrong with that. That is what the majority want nowadays.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:06 AM
Rushman71
Instructor

Originally Posted by kyrocks

You may be somewhat right that the 991 is both a touring car and a sportscar, but unfortunately it is MORE of a touring car. Nothing wrong with that. That is what the majority want nowadays.
And of course there will always be the more hardcore variants for those who want a more hardcore car. Porsche won't leave any niche unfilled, we all know that.

Having been in plenty of dedicated racecars including aero downforce single seaters, having a street legal racecar doesn't appeal to me anymore. No production based car, even dedicated racing versions of production based cars, can even come close. So I don't see the reason to sacrifice so much on a car I'll probably be putting 15K miles a year on. To me, it's much more impressive to take the full road legal version on track and yet still be able to truly daily drive it. If I want the hardcore racing experience, I'll go back to competitive wheel to wheel karting to which no street car made even comes close to comparing to.

But everyone is different and to each their own!
Old 01-24-2012, 03:10 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kyrocks

IMO, yes, the 991 is more of a touring car than the 997, however at the same time, it is every bit as much of a sportscar than the 997. Around an autocross track, the 991 S is quicker that the 997 S.

Also, the steering is quite good. You loose some wheel vibration on gravel, however still have good feedback on the track.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:06 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

HUGE fan of the new steering. it gives you all the information you need, and more, but does not give you every single little vibration. so far, based on my very limited seat time, i would say there is a single aspect of this car that is not an improvement over the 997.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:33 PM
tomshop
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you speaking about Power Steering Plus?
Old 01-25-2012, 01:27 AM
Rushman71
Instructor

Originally Posted by blk on blk
HUGE fan of the new steering. it gives you all the information you need, and more, but does not give you every single little vibration. so far, based on my very limited seat time, i would say there is a single aspect of this car that is not an improvement over the 997.
Thanks for the feedback.

Some people incorrectly think that the steering has to be buzzing and vibrating in their hands constantly like a 120v sex toy or else it isn't communicating. When it comes to steering I subscribe to the Joe Friday School of thought; "just the facts ma'am." Give me what I need to know and nothing more. What I need is accurate weighting directly proportional to the load and available grip with no lag in reporting. I don't need to be able to read a book in braille through the steering wheel.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:20 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

But I like all that useless information...it makes me feel like I'm a race car driver and that I know what I'm doing;-)

Quick Reply: My Two Cents On The New Steering