Sponsored by:

I should have ordered a 7spd manual!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 08:31 AM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Baggerdude
Duh ... I would never have known that. I'm grew up in the 60s and can't figure out how to program my smart phone either.
If you knew that then why would you write it? Duh indeed.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:25 AM
army scope jockey
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully Porsche does not follow suit like Ferrari and offer only numbumatics. Fortunately there are other Italian offerings that are shift only.
Attached Images    
Old 12-26-2011, 11:00 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 743 Likes on 365 Posts

I posted this in the Race and DE section when someone asked about PDK:

Originally Posted by naroescape
While I'm not arguing that PDK is faster shifting than a person, part of the enjoyment of driving and racing, for me, is the interactivity I have with the car. And shifting manually is part of that interactivity. And until some pays me to race and I NEED that extra split second to win, I will trade the speed of shifting for the enjoyment.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 12-26-2011, 11:06 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Plus, isn't PDK like $4500 over the 7 speed?

Heck, I might try PDK for a couple years if it was $500 more than the manual. But, I'm not interested in a paddle/finger shifter for that much coin.

And, I'd really miss shifting for myself, too.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:01 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Having some physicians wife drive a 911 with PDK is not all that unusual today. It was 15 years ago.
Funny-ism from the mid-late '80s when I had shop #1 going in Phoenix--the physician owned 930s (often modified) were more likely to either be dropped off or picked up by a wife/girlfriend/mistress (?!?!). Can't ever remember running into women who didn't enjoy, at least part time, shifting a manual. And glad they were out there, because some of those 911 owning women led to memorable times.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:52 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Funny-ism from the mid-late '80s when I had shop #1 going in Phoenix--the physician owned 930s (often modified) were more likely to either be dropped off or picked up by a wife/girlfriend/mistress (?!?!). Can't ever remember running into women who didn't enjoy, at least part time, shifting a manual. And glad they were out there, because some of those 911 owning women led to memorable times.
Yeah, I remember the 80s a bit as well. I always wanted a 930. (sigh ...)

But, today the doctor's x-wives/GFs/yada,yada are all driving Cayennes, Audis, BMWs and Vettes. Mostly automatics.

Matter of fact, I've bought my X some of each. And, all were/are automatic shifters.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:16 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

well said. Couldn't agree more. except I grew up in the eighties/nineties. But my wife was capable of driving our '82 930, and my 951. Her current daily is a manual Civic.

Duh ... I would never have known that. I'm grew up in the 60s and can't figure out how to program my smart phone either.

Here's the deal for me ... I drove the V10 BMW M5s for a while. Pretty lame IMO. Paddle shift and all that. The Porsche PDK has evolved. It's better. I understand. I don't want one ... unless it's a rental.

I like my sports cars to be manual shifters. Yes, there is A/C, electric sliding seats, sliding roofs, GPS and a whole slew of crap that was not available on the MG-TGs. I understand.

But, I want to shift for myself.

My feelings are that Porsche ... like others .. want to increase market share and satisfy the EU bureaucratic demands on mileage/emissions. Automatic transmissions are ripe for this. For example, my GF can't drive my stick Turbo. When I was a kid, everyone could drive a "3 on the tree". That is not true today. For several reasons.

Having some physicians wife drive a 911 with PDK is not all that unusual today. It was 15 years ago. And, I remember the arguments for and against Tiptronic tranny's when they came out, too. Same/same arguments today.

Frankly, I don't care if PDKs are faster. Who's driving them 'faster'? My dentist's wife? I doubt it.

Other's will disagree. But, I want a manual. And, Porsche makes a pretty nice manual transmission IMO.

Of course ... this IS an "opinion board", eh.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:28 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 743 Likes on 365 Posts

my wifes current daily driver is the GT3...
I get the Tahoe..
Old 12-29-2011, 10:17 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 440 Likes on 234 Posts

I taught my wife how to drive a stick on my '78 Alfa Spider when we started dating way back then. In the 33 years we've been together all of our Porsches, from our first 944 to our current 997.2 C4S have been her daily drivers and all have had manual transmissions. In fact, the only automatic she ever drove regularly was a minivan that became a necessity when we had our third child (couldn't fit 3 child seats across the back seat of the Volvo wagon).
Old 12-30-2011, 03:09 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,060 Likes on 546 Posts

Neither my X or XX could properly shift a manual. But both of them could empty a bank account quicker than a PDK can change gears.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:46 AM
DHC
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for posting that video. Agreed that the car sounds fantastic. Want one, but will have to wait as my little old 2007 just passed 20k miles ... only a baby!

My 2 cents on the PDK/Manual is I would love to try out the PDK and have the utmost respect for Porsche to design and implement such an impressive bit of kit, but would miss my manual something awful after a week or three. I'm such a luddite.

Speaking of old fashioned, we had to order my wife's Audi Avant from Ingolstadt as she insisted on the manual tranny and there weren't any to speak of in the U.S. She gets big "thumbs up" when bringing it in for routine maintenance as the techs never, ever see one with a six-speed.

Last edited by DHC; 12-30-2011 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Needed clarifying text.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:08 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Plus, isn't PDK like $4500 over the 7 speed?

Heck, I might try PDK for a couple years if it was $500 more than the manual. But, I'm not interested in a paddle/finger shifter for that much coin.

And, I'd really miss shifting for myself, too.
The cost is actually more like $6,000 if you include the cost of sport chrono. I think the cost/profit is one reason Porsche and dealers push PDK so hard. It is basically the same transmission as the DCT in the M3, which is much less.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:58 PM
19_hole
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is a far more advanced and complex transmission than the M3 transmission!
Old 12-30-2011, 07:19 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Neither my X or XX could properly shift a manual. But both of them could empty a bank account quicker than a PDK can change gears.
Bawhahahahahah!!!!
Old 12-31-2011, 09:40 AM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congtrats to Porsche for not only permitting a manual option, but offering an improved manual option.
Let's keep rowing the oars !! Isn't that why we drove these cars ??

Quick Reply: I should have ordered a 7spd manual!