Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No waiting list !? I am surprised that I can order one of the first round of Manual's

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 04:35 PM
AF330i
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
Default No waiting list !? I am surprised that I can order one of the first round of Manual's

To those that saw this post on another Porsche board, I apologize for cross posting ...

I am surprised when January is 'the locked in order date' my 2 local dealers told me I can still place my order for January with a March build/April delivery.

Of course they want full MSRP but I would think they would have a waiting list for a Major redesign like this car.

My thoughts are as much as I want a new Base 991 with Manual what if I just wait until the 2nd round of Manual's are released and see if they are giving some type of discount off MSRP ... am I off base here considering they still haven't sold the first round of manual's ... it would bother me to pay full MSRP only to find out that the next month or two the car I just bought is now discounted ... if they were all full MSRP or more like for example the Nissan GTR was for a long period of time then that would be a different story.

Are you finding the same type of situation where you live where you can go and just order the car without much of a wait for an allocation slot ?
Old 12-12-2011, 04:56 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Porsche has plans to sell more 991s than 997s, even though the economy was robust when the 997 was out with easy credit through soaring home equity, and even though the 991 is significantly more expensive. That the 991 is more polarizing than the 997 will not help increase sales.

While Porsche can shift supply to other parts of the world if there is more demand elsewhere, I think the 991 will be discounted in the near future, especially as new iterations are introduced in 2012.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:38 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

I saw the car in Frankfurt the other day - I'll wait tll after more is known about the car, I drive one and then in late May I'll order a MY13 - And have it my way, discounted and all.

I'm having second thoughts though regarding the 991 911.... Maybe the newest Cayman is the sports cars to own; wider front track and all.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:40 AM
19_hole
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same info I just got, JAN-FEB order for March build. April delivery.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:02 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 552 Posts

I am not surprised there's no waiting list for a car that will be quite a bit more expensive than the 997. It will be hard to build a Carrera S for less than $110K plus no discounts. 2 years ago, you could easily buy a 997 S for $90K or less, due to the economy - which is still rough. I think the market for 997's will stay quite strong as its really two different price ranges. what i mean by that, is that for around $70K you can get a CPO 2009 C2S 997.2, thats a pretty good car. Or you can spend $110K and get a 991. Thats a big difference and the jury is seriously out on whether its worth it. Its not to me on paper, unless the new car blows me away.

Then in the $120K range, you have many options. Used GT3's, GT3RS, GTS, Used TT's, R8, Maserati, Used Lambo's, Ferrari's, and on and on. I'm not sure that Porsche will have an easy time moving $120K well optioned C2S's in mass. Lets see how it plays out.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:03 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,044 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
I am not surprised there's no waiting list for a car that will be quite a bit more expensive than the 997. It will be hard to build a Carrera S for less than $110K plus no discounts. 2 years ago, you could easily buy a 997 S for $90K or less, due to the economy - which is still rough. I think the market for 997's will stay quite strong as its really two different price ranges. what i mean by that, is that for around $70K you can get a CPO 2009 C2S 997.2, thats a pretty good car. Or you can spend $110K and get a 991. Thats a big difference and the jury is seriously out on whether its worth it. Its not to me on paper, unless the new car blows me away.

Then in the $120K range, you have many options. Used GT3's, GT3RS, GTS, Used TT's, R8, Maserati, Used Lambo's, Ferrari's, and on and on. I'm not sure that Porsche will have an easy time moving $120K well optioned C2S's in mass. Lets see how it plays out.
I think this is spot on. Add in first year jitters and around $70K for a CPO '09 S sounds pretty good. Plus the "more GT than sports car" for the new car (fine with me as an old guy) might be unappealing to some. I think roll out rumors might hurt sales too - I'm holding tight if there's going to be a true targa in '13 or '14.
I have driven an '09 TT, a '10 S and a '12 GTS - they were all great to me. However, all four of my 911s were pre-enjoyed and I have never ordered new to my own specs. I feel it is my right to enjoy the feeling of 30% depreciation on day one at leat once...

Quick Reply: No waiting list !? I am surprised that I can order one of the first round of Manual's