Sponsored by:

Sport Chrono Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 09:57 AM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts
Default Sport Chrono Question

How necessary is sport chrono in a 991S with a manual gearbox? Here's the background. I plan on ordering a 991S Cab early next year, and my budget is around $115,000. I can actually make that happen by limiting the number of options I choose and have built one with sport chrono but without full leather. I currently have a manual 997.2 C4S coupe with sport chrono, and I don't use the sport button much. I recently parted ways with a BMW M3 which had an M button that I hardly ever used. I'm not a highly trained driver, have never had a personal car on the track, have owned 6 Porsches, and love driving the 997 on winding country roads in a spirited but safe manner. At some point I'd like to go to a high performance driving school and get my car on a track, but I'm not sure when that will happen. The Cab will be my daily driver and the 997 will be my wife's. Given the fact that the S comes with a sport button that sharpens the throttle response, do I need the extra features of sport chrono? Should I get full leather instead? Get neither and lower my cost?
Old 12-07-2011, 10:13 AM
DG_Hennessy
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sport Chrono is a personal decision, some can live without it. I on the other hand consider it to be a must have option. It is more important on the PDK than in the manual, but still very nice to have. Keep in mind, the Sport Chrono Package now comes with dynamic engine mounts which will improve your ride quality. Not to mention, down the road if you go to sell your C2S Cabriolet, the Sport Chrono Package is something 80%+ of the buyers will be looking for.

Full leather looks nice. It will not increase resale value nearly at all. I'm told the interior is far superior to 997 and full leather will be a less needed option. I can only speculate until I go see the new 991 in January.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:23 AM
jmsc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like DG_H says, if the 991 partial leather interior is a strong improvement over the 997's then I too would pass on the full ltr option and save the $$$ and use it on the SC Package which now includes the dynamic mounts from the 997/2 GT3.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:38 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the input. That was the direction I was leaning toward, but I needed a bit of reassurance. The build sheet I sent to the dealer has the following options and has a list price of $115,715. I think it has the right combination of performance and comfort considering my budget range. I'll probably go with either red/black or white/black.

sport chrono package
premium package
park assist (what can I say, I'm a really bad backer upper)
voice control
SiriusXM
sport design steering wheel
delete model designation

Last edited by tgcrun; 12-07-2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:05 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Consider PSE, forgo sirius /voice control. Good idea to forgo full leather for sport chrono. Red/black is what I went with.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:53 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I would do just the opposite. I would dump Sport Chrono and get the Full Leather. The leather is something I would see, smell and feel every time I drive the car. Dynamic Engine Mounts notwithstanding, Sport Chrono itself does nothing for a car with manual transmission except make the the gas pedal more sensitive and touchy. You can't add Full Leather easily or inexpensively after the fact, but you CAN add Sport Chrono later.

Just another opinion.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:52 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Very good point. Also, the sport button, which is standard on the S, heightens the throttle response, so I can get that without the sport chrono package. Since I can't order until January or February anyway, maybe I'll wait until I see the car's interior and drive one before I make a decision.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:10 AM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Imo only die hard enthusiasts will take advantage of the Sport Chrono Pkg in the track.
The sport mode button now std in the 991 will do the job under normal driving conditions.

Last edited by Galion; 12-08-2011 at 12:34 AM.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:53 AM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Regardless of the practicality of sport chrono you don't want to be among the less than 10% or so who own a Carrera S without it. Overwhelming majority of 991S vehicles will have sport chrono.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:56 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by aamersa
Regardless of the practicality of sport chrono you don't want to be among the less than 10% or so who own a Carrera S without it. Overwhelming majority of 991S vehicles will have sport chrono.
What you say is true, but only because I believe that over 50% of 991 cars will have PDK. SC is a MUST HAVE option with PDK to fully unlock the three different shift mapping programs.

If I were looking for a used car with a manual transmission and it had SC, then fine. If the same car didn't have SC, I would be OK with that too. My 2010 C2S, bought used, does not have SC and while I could add it, I won't because it offers no functional improvement to a car with a manual transmission and, therefore, has no intrinsic value to me.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:19 AM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Yes, it's quite true that with a manual transmission sport chrono is almost unnecessary. Only if you track it the DEMs wud come in to play, the rest of sport chrono is useless with manual transmission.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:46 AM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tgcrun
Thanks for the input. That was the direction I was leaning toward, but I needed a bit of reassurance. The build sheet I sent to the dealer has the following options and has a list price of $115,715. I think it has the right combination of performance and comfort considering my budget range. I'll probably go with either red/black or white/black.

sport chrono package
premium package
park assist (what can I say, I'm a really bad backer upper)
voice control
SiriusXM
sport design steering wheel
delete model designation
Don't forget to delete the sun roof, too.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:00 AM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since no one here has mentioned it, I will. You really don't want a more sensitive throttle on the track, in fact just the opposite. Having a sensitive throttle makes it difficult to make fractional adjustments. I too had an E46 M3 that I used to autocross and I never used the sport button. If I did I always over cooked it.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:19 AM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
What you say is true, but only because I believe that over 50% of 991 cars will have PDK. SC is a MUST HAVE option with PDK to fully unlock the three different shift mapping programs.

If I were looking for a used car with a manual transmission and it had SC, then fine. If the same car didn't have SC, I would be OK with that too. My 2010 C2S, bought used, does not have SC and while I could add it, I won't because it offers no functional improvement to a car with a manual transmission and, therefore, has no intrinsic value to me.
+1

I am in the market for a used car. If I went stick, it would make little difference to me if it had that feature or not. S. Transmission. Color, Owner temprement would have more influence.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:48 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Sport Chrono is a popular option in a 997 because that was the only way to get a sport mode button, which is nice on any car. I wouldnt buy a used 997 without it.
With the sport mode std in the 991, the sport chrono madness will fade.
I find the chrono in the dash and the launch control mode useless in a GT car.

Quick Reply: Sport Chrono Question