Sponsored by:

power steering plus?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 10:11 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TSpyder
That is just an awful story about the demise of your NSX. I would've been homicidal.

Owned the NSX--first yr of production--since new and have done all the service on it myself except timing belts and recent Bilstein swap and O2 sensors for which I needed help from a friend. Found that folks are much more willing to give a hand with the lift and a six-pack available
Cindy nearly was homicidal. She dearly loved that car. And yes, people are much more willing to bend their neck back than to crawl underneath jack stands and work that way. As for the six-pack...

Gary
Old 10-30-2012, 10:16 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
Not really. It's not my first 911, and definitely not my first sports car, exotic or otherwise. The steering in the 991 is just fine. People who aren't 'adapting' to it don't own one in nine out of ten cases. They are speculating about how sour those grapes must be that they can't reach. For the tenth who does own a 991, or could easily but chooses not to because of the electric assist... well, you can't please everyone. Discovering the steering was so good is what pushed me over the top and sold me on the 991 for this purchase.

Gary
I never heard any debate about PS + affecting handling in any way. Some folks (especially the "me too" automotive press) thought it affected steering feel, adding to complaints about the switch from hydraulic to electric power steering. Apparently a lot of people loved the old bump steer and geometry compromises of earlier 911s and the wheel dance it generated. Getting rid of that feel had no, "0", nada effect on handling whatsoever. The 991 steers as accurately, turns in far better, and has plenty of road feel. The early journalist none sense is passé, along with the echoes.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:49 PM
deturney
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree and stand corrected.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:28 PM
dochusar
Advanced

This is certainly not my first sport car nor 911. I have the new 991 with power steering plus, drove one with and one without. The feel in my car is great, still have significant resistance at low speeds like my old Porsche and hand,es superbly at high speeds. Sadly I have only 300 miles in one week on her, enjoying her immensely, but side tracked because of the hurricane. Damn break-in period or else I would have some real fun before winter.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:43 PM
deturney
Instructor

I have about 3500 miles on my S now and am elated that I took the plunge and bought this car. I have had quite a few sports cars over the years and not one of them even comes close, in any way, to my Porsche.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:18 AM
Justin N
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I picked up my car from the dealer last week, it came with power steering plus and I was a bit nervous about the feel after reading comments online. Even thought its quite easy to steer at low speeds, easy does not mean disconnected. Conversely, just because a cars steering is heavy, that doesn't mean it's accurate. I actually had a Mercedes c300 as a loaner today- now THAT felt light and disconnected.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:21 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dochusar
This is certainly not my first sport car nor 911. I have the new 991 with power steering plus, drove one with and one without. The feel in my car is great, still have significant resistance at low speeds like my old Porsche and hand,es superbly at high speeds. Sadly I have only 300 miles in one week on her, enjoying her immensely, but side tracked because of the hurricane. Damn break-in period or else I would have some real fun before winter.
I've just expressed my positive reaction to the 991 steering feel in another thread, so I won't beat that dead horse again. But as for the break-in period. Sheez. That bit about not holding constant speed for long periods is a real burden where I live in the desert. I have felt it necessary to schedule a trip from San Diego to San Francisco using the Pacific Coast Highway the first week of December. With privileges come these obligations.

Gary
Old 11-09-2012, 04:06 AM
SiNi
Instructor

I've just expressed my positive reaction to the 991 steering feel in another thread, so I won't beat that dead horse again. But as for the break-in period. Sheez. That bit about not holding constant speed for long periods is a real burden where I live in the desert. I have felt it necessary to schedule a trip from San Diego to San Francisco using the Pacific Coast Highway the first week of December. With privileges come these obligations.

Gary
The run in is ok. Doing up to 4200 rpm is still fantastic fun and really gives you a chance do get used to the car! Above that and it really is an extremely fast car and easy to scare oneself!!!!
Old 11-09-2012, 08:30 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

Gary
Be careful. With PSE that trip could cause serious strain to your grin muscles.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:07 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Be careful. With PSE that trip could cause serious strain to your grin muscles.
The danger crossed my mind, but when duty calls...

I thought about preparing in advance a splint, but then I pictured the result and discretion prevailed.

G

Quick Reply: power steering plus?