Sponsored by:

Sport Design Package

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 11:58 PM
mrm 930
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Sport Design Package

SDP - basically a duck tail with more aggressive front spoiler. I know that this is a must on my build sheet. Ordering around December or January for May delivery. Dealer also said that there will be more options and possibly more option packages as Porsche runs through its first set of builds.

I don't like the Aerokit - same as the SDP with an additional rear wing.

Thoughts?

10 BMW M5
10 Cayenne GTS
78 930 (heavily optioned)
991 - okay'd by the wife
Old 11-07-2011, 01:04 AM
jrt600
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed, the SDP is a must have. Has the dealer said the sport design package is available on the 991 S? On Porsche's online configuration, SDP is only showing up as an option for the base 991 (at least in the US). Can't see why it wouldn't be available on both models. Hopefully it'll be available as an option on the 4S as well.

And you're right - the Aerokit is hideous.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:30 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SDP is available on the configurator, an expensive option USD 3675 in Dubai, and probably will be in excess of $4K in the US. There is also a note that this will be approx available by 4/12.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:33 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by aamersa
SDP is available on the configurator, an expensive option USD 3675 in Dubai, and probably will be in excess of $4K in the US. There is also a note that this will be approx available by 4/12.
Not available in US build site, at least not recently. I did see that a while ago, but now removed.

I think for BEST options, one has to wait!
Old 11-07-2011, 04:52 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

If one can afford to spend on this and other expensive options, isn't that money better spent on just getting a turbo? That is the pinnacle in this line. Y load up on a carrera or S? In fact after ordering a 991s I am wondering if I should have just gone for a turbo. Now I will always wonder what it's like to be one step up in the range. Perhaps that's a positive as it leaves something to look forward to in the future. BTW, when will the 991 turbo be available, is it true that just a few months after the 991s, i.e. summer 2012?
Old 11-07-2011, 05:37 PM
jrt600
Intermediate

Originally Posted by aamersa
If one can afford to spend on this and other expensive options, isn't that money better spent on just getting a turbo? That is the pinnacle in this line. Y load up on a carrera or S? In fact after ordering a 991s I am wondering if I should have just gone for a turbo. Now I will always wonder what it's like to be one step up in the range. Perhaps that's a positive as it leaves something to look forward to in the future. BTW, when will the 991 turbo be available, is it true that just a few months after the 991s, i.e. summer 2012?
My guess is that a 991 Turbo with similar options will run another $30-35k USD once it's released (sometime in 2013 from what I've read), so you're still paying a big chunk of change to upgrade (my 991 build comes to ~ $120k, building out a similar 997.2 turbo runs ~$150k, so factoring in a 5-10% price bump for the 991 version, and you're looking at paying $30k+ more the Turbo).

But for me, I'm going with the 991S (or maybe 991 4S) because the Turbo is just overkill - I don't want or need 550hp, and from what I remember of the 997.2 Turbo, the manual version had a very heavy clutch compared to the normally aspirated model, which took it out of the running as a daily driver. And no offense to others on here, no PDK for me...I'll keep buying manual Porsches so long as they keep making 'em. The Turbo is also just too flashy for my tastes, and it just doesn't sound or feel nearly as 'pure' as the normally aspirated models. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:59 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

I really like the ducktail, but have to ask what exactly you get for ~$4k? Is this just cosmetic or are there performance adds that I'm not aware of. If it's just cosmetic, can't you wait a few days and get an aftermarket kit for a bit less? Cheers.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:17 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

$4k is a conservative estimate, it may be closer to 5K. No performance gain with this, but includes a sport design front apron, all cosmetic stuff. Looks good but expensive.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:27 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

I'm sure there will be some downforce/drag numbers presented by Porsche but at US highway speeds...cosmetic really;-)

Originally Posted by Alstoy
I really like the ducktail, but have to ask what exactly you get for ~$4k? Is this just cosmetic or are there performance adds that I'm not aware of. If it's just cosmetic, can't you wait a few days and get an aftermarket kit for a bit less? Cheers.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:46 PM
mrm 930
Racer

Hello all;
Speaking to our rep at the local dealership - he showed me the dealer build sheet (online) that was just released for training. You can get the body kits in 3 different styles: 1) just the front spoiler, 2) duck tail and front spoiler (SPD) and 3) the Aerokit which is no. 2 with an additional wing. You can get these on both the Carrera and Carrera S.

I also asked about the rest of the line. Porsche will be building all of the 997.2 line (except the GT3, GT3 RS and the GT2 RS-of course) All of the other 911s will be produced until October of 2012. So no replacements (991 builds) will be released until after this date. The next in line of development is the Carrera cabs and the Carrera S cabs. Then the C4 - C4S - Targas (if they are continuing), GTS (if they are continuing), Turbo, Turbo cab, Turbo S, Turbo S cab. After this will be the GT cars if they bring back the GT2 and GT3. From what I understand the Turbos and the GT cars will probably be a late 2013 or early 2014 model.

I had them specifically ask this to Porsche US at the midwest region meeting about 2-3 weeks ago. I wanted to order a GT3- RS - but we found out it is no longer being built. Also the 991s are being painted in a new facility, while the last of the 997.2 builds are finishing out in the existing painting area.

So after all the debate with my wife and the dealers - We came to the conclusion to order the new 991 instead of a 997 GTS or Turbo. Why? - when I found out that the 991 Carrera S was as fast on the Nurburgring as the 997 GT-3 and saw the duck tail option (just came out by the way) that was it.

I have never seen dealer sales reps as geeked on a new line as these guys were about the new 991. I saw them at Rennsport - and I think that they are the best 911 since the 993.

Mark

10 BMW M5
10 Cayenne GTS
78 930 (heavily optioned)
Old 11-08-2011, 04:25 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jrt600
My guess is that a 991 Turbo with similar options will run another $30-35k USD once it's released (sometime in 2013 from what I've read), so you're still paying a big chunk of change to upgrade (my 991 build comes to ~ $120k, building out a similar 997.2 turbo runs ~$150k, so factoring in a 5-10% price bump for the 991 version, and you're looking at paying $30k+ more the Turbo).

But for me, I'm going with the 991S (or maybe 991 4S) because the Turbo is just overkill - I don't want or need 550hp, and from what I remember of the 997.2 Turbo, the manual version had a very heavy clutch compared to the normally aspirated model, which took it out of the running as a daily driver. And no offense to others on here, no PDK for me...I'll keep buying manual Porsches so long as they keep making 'em. The Turbo is also just too flashy for my tastes, and it just doesn't sound or feel nearly as 'pure' as the normally aspirated models. Just my 2 cents.
Yeah a $30k jump for turbo sounds right, but for that you get a car that's competitive with the italia 458, at a significantly lower price.

I agree the power is overkill, but so is a base carrera for normal legal street and highway driving. Yet people continue to crave more and more power, knowing well they can only use a fraction of that capacity. Power wise a honda civic has enuf for most cities of the world.

I also favor naturally aspirated engines, but the reality is that all the most powerful engines of the future will inevitably be turbo. It's a reality we will have to accept. On the positive side turbo technology will develop to a point where the difference will be hardly noticeable, i.e. turbo lag will be virtually eliminated.

The 991 S will be my first porsche and if it proves to be a rewarding experience I could see myself getting a turbo in the future.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:33 PM
mrm 930
Racer

aamersa,
After driving a turbo, its hard not to have that back of the seat feeling. So a 997 Turbo or a 991 S. Seems to be a lot of turbos out there and not as unique as a GT3 or GT3-RS. Practically thinking, the RS as a drive around the city with a sometimes around the track type of car - kidney pounding to say the least. I have had feed back on the RS and it is brutal as a street car. So the Turbo? Turbo S?

However, I keep coming back to the 991 S.

Quick Reply: Sport Design Package