Sponsored by:

991 Base Carrera Desirable Options

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 03:23 PM
jmsc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 991 Base Carrera Desirable Options

I'm trying to keep a possible order under 90K ($83,050 + options).

Which options are must haves for performance, looks...

for example: full leather, sports chrono, stereo upgrade, mettallic paint, LSD etc.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:22 PM
WCE
User

Received 177 Likes on 86 Posts

My selected minimum options are metallic paint and PDK (personal choice), heated seats (required by my climate), Bose audio (primarily for the subwoofer - have to have good tunes) and the multifunction steering wheel to control it as well as the std Nav and IP display features. I'm also adding the sport seats plus (non-***) for the the extra support and looks, although the manual adjustments will probably bug me...
The 19" wheels are adequate and probably a good idea without PASM. The Sport mode button is now std, which gives most of the functionality of Sport Chrono. Launch Control is definitely a party trick I would use only a few times. Low speed traction control is standard and the torque Vectoring is interesting, but likely only used on the track which my car will not spend much time. I also deleted the model badge and added the smokers pkg for looks.

My dealer tells me no base Carrera orders entered until Jan - is that what you were told?
Old 11-02-2011, 04:37 PM
YellowCalliper
Intermediate

Sport steering wheel gives you the paddles if you are getting PDK I think is a must. However you can't have multifunction controls - tough call.

Also - sunroof is not standard - I think it is $1,400 but I think an important option if you have the right weather for it.

When did your dealer say you can put your order in for a Base 991 and what is expected delivery date?
Old 11-02-2011, 04:43 PM
jmsc
Intermediate

YES. There are no alloc for base Carrera's available at dealerships till JAN-FEB for MAR build for APR delivery according to my dealer. Orders for CS can be done now with PDK but not with 7-sp manual.

I'm in no hurry. I don't want to pay $100K+ for a new 911. That's why I am looking at a base C with no or limited extras. I plan on keeping it for only 1-2 years and then move on to something else.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:00 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I've learned on this forum you need to get sports exhaust PSE, it increases enjoyment, though I am yet to receive my vehicle and experience that myself.

My minimum would be PDK, Sport Chrono and if looking to keep $$$ low, stick to a standard exterior color.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:25 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

I got a C2 and added some options that I regret now. It was my first Porsche. For my next car, I would get a bum-basic car with just a paint option. I listen to the engine more than the Bose stereo and would not get that in my next car. I also can't tell the difference between full and standard leather. The 19s are probably going to be less unsprung weight so I'd go with that. I would pay not to have a sunroof. This may not be what want to hear, but it's just my opinion and it's free. So, take it for what it's worth. Cheers.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:52 PM
zizu
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If going for a base + options, I would just go for an S.
I would order a base with NO option.
I got my previous P with tons of options before and regretted it. I had no use for them and felt like I was driving a Lexus, took away the P sport car experience IMHO.
For me, this cars are best enjoy in minimalist form.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:06 AM
AF330i
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by aamersa
From what I've learned on this forum you need to get sports exhaust PSE, it increases enjoyment, though I am yet to receive my vehicle and experience that myself.

My minimum would be PDK, Sport Chrono and if looking to keep $$$ low, stick to a standard exterior color.
Listening to the PSE on the Porsche usa website makes it sound amazing but what bothers me is

1) You need to push a button each time you drive the car to put it on (unless they changed it for the 991 where it allows you to change the default mode)

2) It is almost a $3,000 option and gives you no additional power

3) quad exhaust tips (I love the regular wide exhaust base tips)

To me must have's are 7 speed manual, sunroof, premium package (heated seats, power seats included, etc) 20" wheels (though not sure if the Carrera s or carrera classic), multi function steering wheel (might as well it's not expensive), Sirius (need to hear Howard)

Some cool options though not sure:
1) Pasm - not sure if this is needed for everyday driving ... does standard mode feel exactly like the base suspension ?
2) PSE - want the sound but $3k
3) Keyless included in premium package plus - I have it on my other cars but also I kind of like putting the key in the left side (keeps the cool porsche feel)

Last edited by AF330i; 11-06-2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:39 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The "S" option.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:38 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jmsc
I'm trying to keep a possible order under 90K ($83,050 + options).

Which options are must haves for performance, looks...

for example: full leather, sports chrono, stereo upgrade, mettallic paint, LSD etc.
i feel the full leather is really great but also almost 4k :-(, stereo i have always felt is ample and since it has nav standard it probably has 235 watts now instead of the 100 the non nav pcm units have... the air conditioned seats can be had on standard seats so thats only 525(heated)+800 air-conditioned... not bad for how nice they are..

PDK is a no brainer, i have always been mr 6 speed, but the pdk is just something once you get over yourself you realize is better in every way possible (my opinion being someone that has owned 5 previous 6 speed sports cars)

the "S" is simply for bragging rights personally... if it didn't have different colored brakes and an "S" on the back nobody would buy it (wouldnt be easy to spot that they spent 17k more) hell most 911 owners i have met and driven with dont even push the car 60% much less to the extent where the 50hp shows itself... and never drive hard enough to the point the larger calipers prove themselves worthy.

the sport exhaust is expensive and you can get the same results without the on/off button for about $250 at your local independent service shop (gundo hack)
Old 11-06-2011, 08:34 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Hmm! Good point, STD stereo has 235 watts now, I guess I will skip the Bose too.
I test drove a Cayenne with PCM / no Bose and it sounded great. much better than stock stereo / no PCM, I couldnt tell the difference with mine that has the Bosé option included.

Imho desirable options for the base are PDK, Multi-Function steering wheel, 20" Wheels, Park-assist front/rear, dimmable mirrors, interior light design package.

Last edited by Galion; 11-06-2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:25 PM
Carrara
Instructor

To put it plain and simple, there are NO "must have" performance options.

The 991 is already such a capable car that most of the performance options are unnecessary. The 991 project manager concurs.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:40 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
i feel the full leather is really great but also almost 4k :-(, stereo i have always felt is ample and since it has nav standard it probably has 235 watts now instead of the 100 the non nav pcm units have... the air conditioned seats can be had on standard seats so thats only 525(heated)+800 air-conditioned... not bad for how nice they are..

PDK is a no brainer, i have always been mr 6 speed, but the pdk is just something once you get over yourself you realize is better in every way possible (my opinion being someone that has owned 5 previous 6 speed sports cars)

the "S" is simply for bragging rights personally... if it didn't have different colored brakes and an "S" on the back nobody would buy it (wouldnt be easy to spot that they spent 17k more) hell most 911 owners i have met and driven with dont even push the car 60% much less to the extent where the 50hp shows itself... and never drive hard enough to the point the larger calipers prove themselves worthy.

the sport exhaust is expensive and you can get the same results without the on/off button for about $250 at your local independent service shop (gundo hack)
Sorry, but your "S" argument is so inaccurate, imo, of course. The "S" has so much more than a badge, red brakes and 50 hp. I love these debates when, according to you, 350 is just right, but 400 is too much. What about the immensely superior torque alone. If 350 is good, why not just keep the power at 300 as most drivers can't exploit that either.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:57 AM
jason74
Instructor

The non S is still everything a 911 needs to be and far exceeds most drivers needs and skill levels. The 'S' is taking it up a notch to an even higher level and pricepoint. If the 'S' drivers feel the non 'S' drivers are missing out, then the GT3 drivers probably feel the 'S' drivers are missing out. It is largely psychology and marketing trying to squeeze more $$$ out of pockets. You have to be satisfied with what you are driving or you'll always be unhappy.

The base 911 is going to be a fantastic car, but the 'S', then GT3, then Turbo, then Turbo S, then GT2 will be even better, as always.

I'll probably by a non 'S' based on my 25k annual mileage. It will exceed my needs, depreciation will be less. Talk to non Porsche people and they can't tell a difference, if it matters...
Old 11-10-2011, 11:08 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

imho porsche killed 991 base car with decision to introduce 50hp split. it is way too much. 3.6 vs 3.8 did not have that much of actual difference, 3.4 vs 3.8 is big enough diff to pay attention to it.

Quick Reply: 991 Base Carrera Desirable Options