Chris Harris initial thoughts on the 991

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 07:52 PM
micahbones
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chris Harris initial thoughts on the 991

As reported in Evo issue #163:

If only the styling was a little more adventurous, people might understand just how different the new '991' 911 really is underneath.

The cabin is bigger, the front track is wider and the longer wheelbase does make the car more graceful in profile. The cabin is heavily influenced by the Panamera - not a bad thing - but, along with the dimensions, the suggestion of a car that will be more GT than out 'n' out sports car.

I wonder, though: what will a Porsche 911 with electric power steering be like to drive?
Old 10-26-2011, 08:33 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You're not alone in that thought Chris...

I hope and pray that Porsche realizes how important steering feel is to most 911 owners that I know. I don't care how great the rest of the car is, if the steering feel is ruined I'm probably not interested. And that's the truth.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:31 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

I know this has been discussed at length elsewhere, and that the faithful believe Porsche can do no wrong...but I am pessimistic. After three days driving a Panamera V6 with Servotronic, I can say that steering feel is NOT necessarily a priority at Porsche.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:48 PM
JLHendrix
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I know this has been discussed at length elsewhere, and that the faithful believe Porsche can do no wrong...but I am pessimistic. After three days driving a Panamera V6 with Servotronic, I can say that steering feel is NOT necessarily a priority at Porsche.
Agree and considering how long it took porsche to develop a decent automatic transmission, I would not expect any wizardry in their efforts at electronic assist.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:14 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Don't worry...Porsche can do no wrong;-)

Originally Posted by JLHendrix
Agree and considering how long it took porsche to develop a decent automatic transmission, I would not expect any wizardry in their efforts at electronic assist.
Except when they do...

Quick Reply: Chris Harris initial thoughts on the 991