Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Final Configuration 991 S

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 08:27 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I appreciate your view on the manual transmission which is why porsche is continuing to offer it. But I was wondering wouldn't you be happier keeping $2950 in your wallet and enjoying your sports car without PSE?
Old 10-24-2011, 09:28 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by aamersa
Ventilation and heated seats are listed separately but when you select ventilation it forces you to also select heated seats, so the two go together even on US site.

TPM, have you had any problems with it?

Either Crest or logo "carrera s" is available on storage bin which includes decorative stitching, and only crests are available on head restraints. Are you referring to crest or logo?

Seat belts, are perhaps the only red I could consider inside but what point would I be making paying $360 for red belts when I have all that red on exterior, and black belts would match blk interior. Deviating stitching is indeed offered on steering but costs $660 here.
Oh ok... well, maybe on a cold dessert night you'd enjoy the heated seats... you got better experience with Dubai heat to know if ventilation is worth it.

No problem with TPMS... and that's on 997.1 which some had problems with, 997.2 is supposedly even better! I mean WHAT problems can you possibly have? for it not to work? so your use manual tire pressure?!

Crest or logo? You pick which you like better on the storage bin, toss-up really. Crest was not available before. IF you did crest on headrest, then 100% get logo on the storage bin to make it look different.

Red seatbels look cool, you decide... also not sure stiching cost is warranted, I kinda agree, a bit too much. I'd pick red seatbelts over the stiching 100%.

On PSE, up to you, adds to enjoyment IMO.

BTW, Manual tranny would get my nods, BUT, it's not offered until next year anyways so no point if you wanna order now!
Old 10-24-2011, 09:31 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

I appreciate your view on the manual transmission which is why porsche is continuing to offer it. But I was wondering wouldn't you be happier keeping $2950 in your wallet and enjoying your sports car without PSE?
You would enjoy it regardless, DO NOT go over your budget... set one and play with options around that budget. We just offer opinions here, so you gotto figure out what works best for you.

PS. Is Manual offered now? I thought it's not until later?
Old 10-24-2011, 09:35 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like your set up. I don't like adding anything that does not improve performance. Crests, colour, etc don't do anything for me. Obviously the options are there because a lot of people like them. Are you skipping the sunroof? This is one of the best options I like-no sunroof. Cheers.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:55 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Natural is the sound the exhaust of any sports car wud make. PSE artificially creates an altered sound by use of flaps that engage inside the exhaust pipes. The flaps are designed only to create the deeper sound.
You've basically got that backwards. One could argue that the "natural" exhaust sound of a flat six motor is what you would hear coming from an unmuffled exhaust, like on the race track. For the street, the exhaust sound is restricted and surpressed. PSE does nothing more than to allow a small portion of the exhaust to bypass the muffler resulting in a note that is closer to that original flat six exhaust. It's not artificial at all.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:18 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

What Mike said ^! PSE is awesome.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:49 AM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Believe it or not sunroof is standard in my region!!! I would rather have used that money on something else. Park assist (rear) and entry and drive also standard.

Manuals will come a couple of months after Pdks, i.e. march-april

Alstoy I am in your camp on the non-performance options but if one is low cost option I consider it.

If I forgo the crests, logos etc. and come up with some extra $$$, am I better off spending $2300 on PSE or $2800 on PDCC? I know the two things are different but which is more useful? I think PDCC will never come into play in my city driving right? Where would the money be better spent?
Old 10-25-2011, 09:47 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Get PSE. The sound makes the drive.

It's not like 911s have had any trouble with handling...no need for PDCC and it simply adds complexity.

Believe it or not sunroof is standard in my region!!! I would rather have used that money on something else. Park assist (rear) and entry and drive also standard.

Manuals will come a couple of months after Pdks, i.e. march-april

Alstoy I am in your camp on the non-performance options but if one is low cost option I consider it.

If I forgo the crests, logos etc. and come up with some extra $$$, am I better off spending $2300 on PSE or $2800 on PDCC? I know the two things are different but which is more useful? I think PDCC will never come into play in my city driving right? Where would the money be better spent?
Old 10-25-2011, 01:58 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

100% PSE! PDCC *might* help some ppl if they track, yet to be proven. They said it improved Nurburgring time by a very large margin, BUT you won't feel it on street, while you will hear/feel/enjoy PSE everyday!
Old 10-25-2011, 02:34 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Will I be able to hear PSE with windows up cause so far from the riding reviews the 991 cabin is more quieter and soundproof compared to the 997s
Old 10-25-2011, 03:04 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by alexb76
100% PSE! PDCC *might* help some ppl if they track, yet to be proven. They said it improved Nurburgring time by a very large margin, BUT you won't feel it on street, while you will hear/feel/enjoy PSE everyday!
PDCC is very noticeable in my Cayenne on the street; it corners amazingly flat with virtually no body lean. I think it would be noticeable in the Carrera as well, although the effect would probably be less dramatic since the Carrera doesn't lean as much in the first place. Still I don't disagree with your basic thought which is if you can only afford one of them, go with PSE over PDCC.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:11 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Will I be able to hear PSE with windows up cause so far from the riding reviews the 991 cabin is more quieter and soundproof compared to the 997s
Can't say, since none of us have been in a 991 with PSE yet, AFAIK. In a 997, you can hear the difference between having PSE on or off (stock), but it's obviously muted. I suspect it will be the same in a 991.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:23 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

So Mike you marginally prefer PSE over PDCC( in a limited budget situation), but are not sure if PSE will be audible in a 991 with windows up. So would you still get PSE if you lived in a super hot climate?
Old 10-25-2011, 03:44 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

So Mike you marginally prefer PSE over PDCC( in a limited budget situation), but are not sure if PSE will be audible in a 991 with windows up. So would you still get PSE if you lived in a super hot climate?
I HIGHLY SUSPECT you WILL hear it inside the cabin, I doubt they have added too much sound damping to 991 vs. 997. Actually, PSE in 991 has been very specifically engineered as that was one of the areas 997.2 got complaints (muted exhaust note), there's actually some sound samples on the 991 site you can listen to. It sounds SWEET!

I am yet to be sold on 991, but if I ever bought one, PSE is a 100% option!

PS. Close the build already... Guards Red with the basic options you added on 1st page, add TPMS, PSE, and ONE interior crest/logo bit and you're done!
Old 10-25-2011, 04:12 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Well, the super hot climate is a consideration. You will lose some of the enjoyment of the PSE by having the windows closed all the time. OTOH, PSE will be louder than stock and let you hear the exhaust better with the windows up, so that might be a good reason to get it.

You can make yourself crazy with all of these decisions. Obviously you have to draw the line somewhere unless you have an unlimited budget, which most of us do not. Still, having been through this process many times and based on experience, here's my advice. If you really can't decide between PDCC and PSE, and this is the last choice you are trying to make, get both. A year from now that extra +/- $2500 on the cost of a $114,000 automobile will seem insignificant and you will have no regrets because you didn't get an option you really wanted.

But, if you really can afford to get only one of them, on a Carrera get the PSE. (On a Cayenne, I would say PDCC.) Now place your order and relax!

Quick Reply: My Final Configuration 991 S