Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 Carrera Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011 | 10:07 AM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Default 991 Carrera Hybrid

I heard there will be a hybrid version. Do you think this is why they went to a 3.4L so they can add the hybrid portion to get power in between a Carrera and Carrera S?
Old 10-05-2011 | 11:00 AM
WCE
User

3.4l is simply a shorter stroke 3.8 (and 3.6 for that fact). I bet a hybrid version breaks 400HP!
I think I read somewhere that Porsche did leave some extra space back there for that electric motor pancaked between the engine and tranny (which is why we will likely be disappointed that the 991 hasn't gained any rear seat space over the 997).
While I would normally think this is a bad idea, the 911 is unique in that it may actually benefit from a bit of battery weight upfront! The only clear downsides I see are the overall extra weight, the potentially strange brake feel (as the regeneration circuits kick in) and of course the extra cost.
Old 10-05-2011 | 04:29 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Originally Posted by WCE
3.4l is simply a shorter stroke 3.8 (and 3.6 for that fact). I bet a hybrid version breaks 400HP!
I think I read somewhere that Porsche did leave some extra space back there for that electric motor pancaked between the engine and tranny (which is why we will likely be disappointed that the 991 hasn't gained any rear seat space over the 997).
While I would normally think this is a bad idea, the 911 is unique in that it may actually benefit from a bit of battery weight upfront! The only clear downsides I see are the overall extra weight, the potentially strange brake feel (as the regeneration circuits kick in) and of course the extra cost.
Actually, the 3.8l is a big bore motor with a shorter stroke than the 3.6l. They made a 3.4l by putting the 3.8l crank in the 3.6l block. Going the other way and putting a 3.6l crank in a 3.8l block makes a 4.0l, which is most likely what will be in the next GT3.
Old 10-05-2011 | 10:55 PM
nyca
Drifting

Unless they market this car as "the KERS equipped 911" - no one will buy it. No one wants a Prius style hybrid system in a 911. What for? But if they offer KERS in it, and you can hit that boost button and feel like Walter Rohrl for 10 seconds - people will pony up the extra $2K.
Old 10-06-2011 | 03:11 AM
zanwar
Pro

If they use an electric motor to fill in the torque curve at low rpm that wouldn't be a bad thing. There's no reason the brake feel has to be any different, they can calibrate the system to recover a set amount of energy when you would normally be engine braking. You would end up using the brakes less, and saving money on brake wear.
Old 10-06-2011 | 08:53 AM
Turb-OH Brad
Pro

I don't think it will be too bad of an idea. Personally, I think they should make the 991 GT3 RSR a full KERS hybrid car. Prove that your hybrid system can last 24 hours at Le Mans, and you have a marketing success story!
Old 10-06-2011 | 10:04 AM
waiting for PDK
Racer

Originally Posted by nyca
Unless they market this car as "the KERS equipped 911" - no one will buy it. No one wants a Prius style hybrid system in a 911. What for? But if they offer KERS in it, and you can hit that boost button and feel like Walter Rohrl for 10 seconds - people will pony up the extra $2K.
$2K is what it costs to get the PCM surround in leather. If it works like the Cayenne, the 911 hybrid will cost more than the S [my guess--12k] and marketed as more power, less gas.
Old 10-07-2011 | 09:53 PM
nyca
Drifting

Meeting their CAFE standards means they are actually going to have to get people to buy these cars - so they cannot price them such that absolutely no one will buy the hybrids. Look at the S Class, the hybrid is actually the cheapest car in the lineup (and still, few buy it).

Something is going to give on these CAFE regs in general - there is no way for the automakers to meet them because buyers don't want the cars they need to sell to meet the regulations.
Old 10-15-2011 | 12:20 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Originally Posted by nyca
People would go APE for a KERS. Willing to bet real money that some devotees to other car brands would jump over the fence for that one.

A KERS option on any Porsche would more than likely cost the same at PCCB Brakes!!! Knowing Porsche they would make people pay for it like they do anything else.

Quick Reply: 991 Carrera Hybrid