Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 09:43 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,888 Likes on 973 Posts
Default No PDK for 991 GT3?

I remain skeptical but so says Matthias Muller:

September 20, 2011By Angus MacKenzieTweet |

New Porsche boss Matthias Muller stops absently stirring his coffee and fixes his piercing blue eyes on me: "Definitely not," he snaps. I'd just asked whether the increase in the size of the new 911 -- it's now more than a foot longer and almost eight inches wider than the 1963 original -- meant it was no longer Porsche's sports car. "The reason for the wheelbase increase is to improve comfort and dynamics. Walter Rohrl has driven the car 13sec faster than a 997 around the Nurburgring."

Porsche seems a touch sensitive to suggestions that the new 911 is more a GT than a pure sports car, even though one of the development goals for the car, code-named 991, was to make it more comfortable as a grand tourer. As it happens, I'd seen Rohrl, the lanky rally and race legend who's now Porsche's hot-shoe at large, the night before and asked him how the four-inch wheelbase stretch -- and the subtle repositioning of the engine further forward in the chassis -- had affected the handling. "Much better," he'd said. "The turn-in response is now very good, and the longer wheelbase gives you much more confidence."

Will there never be a Cayman that will outperform a 911? "If I look at pure performance numbers," says Muller thoughtfully, "then maybe." But then he quickly adds he believes Porsche's two sports cars are aimed at two entirely different customers -- substitution between the two cars is less than five percent in the United States. And with Turbo and Turbo S versions of the new 911 still to come -- as well as GT3 and GT2 variants -- you can bet there will always be at least one 911 variant that will be faster than even the hottest Cayman in the future.

You also get the sense the decision to develop a seven-speed stick shift may not have been part of the original 991 program; that the smooth and lightning-quick PDK seven-speed automated manual was intended to be the only transmission offered on the new 911. The seven-speed stick, which won't be available until March next year, is based on parts from the PDK transmission, and features a sequential shift lock mechanism that will only allow seventh to be selected from fifth or sixth gears -- a subtle acknowledgement that negotiating the tightly-stacked shift gate in a hurry will be tricky.

Indeed, if you look at Porsche's claimed performance and efficiency numbers, the PDK is clearly the higher-performance transmission of the two -- both the Carrera and Carrera S models with the PDK are quicker to 60 mph and more fuel efficient than the stick-shift equipped versions. But as long as the customer asks for it, says Muller, Porsche will build a stick-shift 911. The next GT3, he says, will not have a PDK transmission.

Will there be a 911 in the new line up that will surprise us? "It's too early to tell," says Muller. But be prepared for a big change with the new 911 Targa. Muller says the problem with the 997-series version is that it was "not a real Targa". So the next Targa will look more like the original, with its black roll-bar and wrap-around rear window? "We have some plans in that direction," he smiles. Porsche is also working hard on hybrid and plug-in hybrid powertrain technologies. Could we see a hybrid version of Porsche's icon in the future? Muller doesn't rule it out: "If this [technology] will be available at 911 level is under discussion," he says simply.

With its flat-six engine still hung out behind the rear wheels, an available stick-shift, and design cues that hark back half a century to Butzi Porsche's original, the new 911 is most certainly still a car defined by its past. But Porsche's new CEO clearly sees no reason to change that: "From our point of view, the 911 is a true icon and represents all the values that are important to the Porsche brand."

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/features/c...#ixzz1YaeWe9hV

Last edited by Nizer; 09-21-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:33 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Maybe it won't be called PDK or it will be a variation of PDK and the racing sequential transmission?

I hope it will be something like PDK without a clutch pedal so that I can have a GT based car....I know that is someone self serving but I have no other options...or just keep my 997 GTS forever.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:35 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 591 Posts

I think they should offer both. I can't see why they would say only a 6 speed? For what purpose?
Old 09-21-2011, 10:45 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

im thinking both will be offered.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:57 PM
964C4
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Maybe it won't be called PDK or it will be a variation of PDK and the racing sequential transmission?
My thoughts as well !
Old 09-21-2011, 10:41 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

I am sure the *new* 7-speed manual transmission would NOT work on GT3 properly in track situations, hence a proper manual transmission for GT3, that is GREAT NEWS, GT3 still remains the RAWEST Sports car you can buy! and as much as 991 is a GT car now, I HOPE they keep GT3 as raw as before!
Old 09-22-2011, 03:13 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 141 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
I am sure the *new* 7-speed manual transmission would NOT work on GT3 properly in track situations, hence a proper manual transmission for GT3, that is GREAT NEWS, GT3 still remains the RAWEST Sports car you can buy! and as much as 991 is a GT car now, I HOPE they keep GT3 as raw as before!
How do you know that the 7 speed is not a "proper manual", that it won't work in track situations, and that it won't be the manual transmission used in a future GT3? That's a lot of presumption, especially considering that none of it came from the article quoted in this thread.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:06 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
How do you know that the 7 speed is not a "proper manual", that it won't work in track situations, and that it won't be the manual transmission used in a future GT3? That's a lot of presumption, especially considering that none of it came from the article quoted in this thread.
Well, quoting pretty much from text... and OBVIOUSLY the Porsche engineers know a thing or two MORE than you!

The seven-speed stick, which won't be available until March next year, is based on parts from the PDK transmission, and features a sequential shift lock mechanism that will only allow seventh to be selected from fifth or sixth gears -- a subtle acknowledgement that negotiating the tightly-stacked shift gate in a hurry will be tricky
Old 09-22-2011, 08:14 AM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, since a GT3 with PDK is my next target car for 2 years hence, I can't say I like the sound of that, but I remain hopefull that PDK by another name could be on the cards

A dvanced S equential S hift

perhaps....
Old 09-22-2011, 02:08 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Well, quoting pretty much from text... and OBVIOUSLY the Porsche engineers know a thing or two MORE than you!

Quote:
The seven-speed stick, which won't be available until March next year, is based on parts from the PDK transmission, and features a sequential shift lock mechanism that will only allow seventh to be selected from fifth or sixth gears -- a subtle acknowledgement that negotiating the tightly-stacked shift gate in a hurry will be tricky
I didn't presume to know anything. I only asked how you did. Neither the fact that the 7 speed manual is based on the PDK or that it has a 7th gear lockout suggests that it would be unsuitable for a future GT3. The opinion by the writer about a tightly stacked shift gate is typical hyperbole. I doubt seriously that the gears will actually be closer together in the pattern making shifts more difficult, there's just an extra one and that one has been locked out to help avoid mis-shifts. It's as likely that this design is to facilitate the transmission's use on track as it is to exclude it. I'm making no claim one way or the other. But then, you're absolutely SURE it won't be used based on a questionable interpretation of one sentence in a magazine article.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:19 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I didn't presume to know anything. I only asked how you did. Neither the fact that the 7 speed manual is based on the PDK or that it has a 7th gear lockout suggests that it would be unsuitable for a future GT3. The opinion by the writer about a tightly stacked shift gate is typical hyperbole. I doubt seriously that the gears will actually be closer together in the pattern making shifts more difficult, there's just an extra one and that one has been locked out to help avoid mis-shifts. It's as likely that this design is to facilitate the transmission's use on track as it is to exclude it. I'm making no claim one way or the other. But then, you're absolutely SURE it won't be used based on a questionable interpretation of one sentence in a magazine article.
Hmm, when did you LAST used your 6th gear on track? let alone 7th?

At any rate, we'll wait and see... when I attended Porsche Cup in Germany, there was NO PDK in the race, even in the stock class! Either manual, or sequential shifters.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:33 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Hmm, when did you LAST used your 6th gear on track? let alone 7th?

At any rate, we'll wait and see... when I attended Porsche Cup in Germany, there was NO PDK in the race, even in the stock class! Either manual, or sequential shifters.
Yep, we'll wait and see. It's true, however, that most GT3 owners drive their cars on the street too, so there is utility in having a 6 and yes, 7 speed transmission even if it's not necessarily used on track. And the last time I used 6th gear on track? Well, it was a while ago. I was in my stock tourist delivery 996, on the long straight just before the finish line where I reached an indicated 155 in 6th gear, at the Nurburgring.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Mike in CA; 09-24-2011 at 02:39 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:13 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
I think you've got it. He's being coy.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:42 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i agree w/ you MDRUMS
Old 09-23-2011, 11:57 AM
Ylonewolf
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

While they were at it, Muller and MacKenzie also confirmed that the new 911 GT3 will remain a manual-only affair, superseding earlier reports and allaying fears that the beloved enthusiasts' favorite would lose a pedal for the clutch in favor of a second automated one.

Quick Reply: No PDK for 991 GT3?