Sponsored by:

991 new features: the Good vs. the Bad

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 09:13 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 141 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by SharpMan
Canadian config let's you paint them...even shows them painted in 3D (Unity player) mode...
Not saying that they can't be painted, just that it's unlikely someone who hates them would want to make them a "feature" by painting one. Plus they're inside the car not....oh shoot....I give up.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:19 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I disagree, although only 10 GT3 knows for sure. His post clearly says "no option for painted exterior warts". I didn't realize that A) the dash wart was part of the exterior, and B) if someone thinks the dash wart is ugly, as 10 GT3 clearly does, why in god's name would you want to draw further attention to it by painting it?
I was referring to item #2 in his post, you #3. Either way all these warts are butt ugly.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:41 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Mike in CA, you are special human being and I think you are a great person to spent time with.

I am from Belgium and therefore English is a second language to me. That does not prevent me from following the 991 forum and time and again I see you respond in a polite manner to posts which look like they have been posted by people who have a hard time connecting the dots. Confusing but at the same time entertaining reading
Old 09-10-2011, 09:45 AM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by 993S
Mike in CA, you are special human being and I think you are a great person to spent time with.

I am from Belgium and therefore English is a second language to me. That does not prevent me from following the 991 forum and time and again I see you respond in a polite manner to posts which look like they have been posted by people who have a hard time connecting the dots. Confusing but at the same time entertaining reading
Maybe, but there is no need to be insulting.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:04 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Not saying that they can't be painted, just that it's unlikely someone who hates them would want to make them a "feature" by painting one. Plus they're inside the car not....oh shoot....I give up.
I get it...just wanted to let people know.

Now the fact you can get them in a deviated colour is even more interesting...especially considering their location;-)
Old 09-10-2011, 12:49 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

I get it...just wanted to let people know.

Now the fact you can get them in a deviated colour is even more interesting...especially considering their location;-)
Sorry if I misunderstood your post. I most definitely agree. Although I may be in the minority in actually liking the wart I wouldn't go overboard and try to attract more attention to it.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:36 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
I think he is talking about the headlight washer warts, if the 991 still has them. You can have them painted the body color on the 997.
We have a winner.

For a mere $295, those chrome eyesores could painted body color on a 997 or 987. In body color, they are very subtle and you can only notice they are there when you are up close. The 991 still has them and it lacks complete common sense why color options are not on the option list.

Please note, you don't see the exterior warts in my avatar. I had mine painted body color.

One other thing, I am wondering how rear brake pad wear will be with PTV? Already with leaving PSM on, I have seen people wear out a set of new rear brake pads in a single weekend at the track. The good thing about PVT is it comes with an LSD, mechanical for manual transmission cars and electronic for PDK cars. I am still wondering how well it is going to be for brake longevity if it is applying the inside rear brake while going through every corner.

Last edited by 10 GT3; 09-10-2011 at 10:39 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:43 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Well, heck, I ain't buyin no car where I can't get body color headlight washer warts......
Mike, I know you said it in jest, but I took it to heart. Here are my headlight washers painted 'Guards Red' by the factory on my Aqua Blue Metallic Spyder. It matches the rear hooks for the Bimini Top which come from factory in 'Guards Red' on all Spyders!

I disagree, although only 10 GT3 knows for sure. His post clearly says "no option for painted exterior warts". I didn't realize that A) the dash wart was part of the exterior, and B) if someone thinks the dash wart is ugly, as 10 GT3 clearly does, why in god's name would you want to draw further attention to it by painting it?
I still think 10 GT3 (Edit: Yes, he is referring to headlight washer nuzzles! - see his post above) is talking exterior warts, not the internal Sport Chrono time piece. To my knowledge, the latter can be ordered with colored dials in both the 997's and probably also on the new 991's. The outside of the Sport Chrono is covered in plastic or leather (depending on your 'surface' order) but always in the color of your interior. So that can't be individually painted to a different color.

Canadian config let's you paint them...even shows them painted in 3D (Unity player) mode...
SharpMan, are you talking about the headlight washers on the Bi-Xenon option? My understanding is that these nuzzles (required by German TUV on any Bi-Xenon headlights by law to prevent dirt from re-directing unwanted 'blinding' light to other drivers on the road) come in one of three ways. Standard at no extra charge is chrome. Until 2011, you could also ordered them in deviating exterior color (e.g. the color of your exterior paint). But finally in MY2012, Porsche allowed you to also order them in one of several deviating colors that were not necessarily the same as your exterior paint. They gave you a choice of one of the seven colors allowed for the exterior on the Spyder as the 'deviant'. Lucky for me, one choice was 'Guards Red', hence the color of the nuzzle on my MY2012! I just wanted to be a little different...and my last name is Kent. Price was $295, same as it would have cost me to have them done in my exterior Aqua color.

I don't see that kind of choice in the 991/991S currently in the US configurator at PCNA. It seems like Bi-Xenons are standard and you will get the chrome nuzzles automatically on all US 991's. However, I would not be surprised if, in the future, Porsche Exclusive allows you to order the nuzzles in a (your) deviating exterior paint color or a different color (e.g. Guards Red), just like they allowed me to do on my MY'12 Spyder.

The XM wart, since offered first in 2009 on the 911, has been always painted in the color of the exterior. Customers were never offered a choice of colors - deviating or not. This exterior 'wart' is now on top of the rear deck lid instead of the rear of the 991's roof, possibly because reception would be hindered when your 'sliding' sunroof is in an 'open' position.

Overall, this 'incomplete choices' is the problem with an early order on a new model. The configurator doesn't show all the possibilities. And Porsche Exclusive is not yet set up to handle the unique requests of customers that want such things as PTS, deviating stitching in a different color...or a deviating color headlight washer nuzzle! That is why I am going to wait a while before considering a new 991.

Saludos, z356
Attached Images  

Last edited by Z356; 09-10-2011 at 09:10 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:47 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

Good: prices of 997's should hold up over time especially since the 991s is priced so much higher. Bad: If it starts out at 96k plus options, it will easily be 110-115k average. The gt cars will start at 130k to start, turbo at least 150k base
Old 09-10-2011, 09:05 PM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by Riz
Good: prices of 997's should hold up over time especially since the 991s is priced so much higher. Bad: If it starts out at 96k plus options, it will easily be 110-115k average. The gt cars will start at 130k to start, turbo at least 150k base
I think the GT cars, i.e. GT3 and RS will start at $120k and $140K, respectively. That would be about $5k above 997.2 (revised, w/bluetooth, iPod as standard) pricing. With PDK, SC Plus and a few other go fast goodies I could see a well optioned PDK GT3 getting close to $140K.

I like the idea of a 991 GT3/RS but they will be expensive. I very well may end keeping my .2 3.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:23 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
We have a winner.

One other thing, I am wondering how rear brake pad wear will be with PTV?
I'm glad we got that resolved!

It's an interesting question about the brake wear. If it shortens rear pad life by 5K mi but improves handling for the remaining 30-35K I'd say it's worth it. It would be nice to know, however, what the downside actually is (if any), and Porsche mentions nothing about it.

Originally Posted by Z356
Mike, I know you said it in jest, but I took it to heart. Here are my headlight washers painted 'Guards Red' by the factory on my Aqua Blue Metallic Spyder. It matches the rear hooks for the Bimini Top which come from factory in 'Guards Red' on all Spyders!

Saludos, z356
On my silver car, and with the headlights already having some shiny bits, my eye is never drawn to the exterior warts and I never felt the need to paint them. But for people with dark colors or who just want the accent I can see where it might be desireable. The red warts to match the top hooks no doubt gives your car a personal sporty touch.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:05 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Looks like you can have 'em painted any which way you like in the Great White North;-)

Originally Posted by Z356

I still think 10 GT3 (Edit: Yes, he is referring to headlight washer nuzzles! - see his post above) is talking exterior warts, not the internal Sport Chrono time piece. To my knowledge, the latter can be ordered with colored dials in both the 997's and probably also on the new 991's. The outside of the Sport Chrono is covered in plastic or leather (depending on your 'surface' order) but always in the color of your interior. So that can't be individually painted to a different color.

SharpMan, are you talking about the headlight washers on the Bi-Xenon option? My understanding is that these nuzzles (required by German TUV on any Bi-Xenon headlights by law to prevent dirt from re-directing unwanted 'blinding' light to other drivers on the road) come in one of three ways. Standard at no extra charge is chrome. Until 2011, you could also ordered them in deviating exterior color (e.g. the color of your exterior paint). But finally in MY2012, Porsche allowed you to also order them in one of several deviating colors that were not necessarily the same as your exterior paint. They gave you a choice of one of the seven colors allowed for the exterior on the Spyder as the 'deviant'. Lucky for me, one choice was 'Guards Red', hence the color of the nuzzle on my MY2012! I just wanted to be a little different...and my last name is Kent. Price was $295, same as it would have cost me to have them done in my exterior Aqua color.

I don't see that kind of choice in the 991/991S currently in the US configurator at PCNA. It seems like Bi-Xenons are standard and you will get the chrome nuzzles automatically on all US 991's. However, I would not be surprised if, in the future, Porsche Exclusive allows you to order the nuzzles in a (your) deviating exterior paint color or a different color (e.g. Guards Red), just like they allowed me to do on my MY'12 Spyder.

The XM wart, since offered first in 2009 on the 911, has been always painted in the color of the exterior. Customers were never offered a choice of colors - deviating or not. This exterior 'wart' is now on top of the rear deck lid instead of the rear of the 991's roof, possibly because reception would be hindered when your 'sliding' sunroof is in an 'open' position.

Overall, this 'incomplete choices' is the problem with an early order on a new model. The configurator doesn't show all the possibilities. And Porsche Exclusive is not yet set up to handle the unique requests of customers that want such things as PTS, deviating stitching in a different color...or a deviating color headlight washer nuzzle! That is why I am going to wait a while before considering a new 991.

Saludos, z356
Attached Images  
Old 09-11-2011, 06:52 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Looks like you can have 'em painted any which way you like in the Great White North;-)

I wonder WHY deviating colour is CHEAPER than Exterior colour?! Weird!
Old 09-12-2011, 09:34 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,888 Likes on 973 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
I wonder WHY deviating colour is CHEAPER than Exterior colour?! Weird!
Because more order matching exterior color, hence Porsche has sussed out that they can charge more for matching....
Old 09-12-2011, 02:13 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Because more order matching exterior color, hence Porsche has sussed out that they can charge more for matching....
They indeed need that extra $30!

Quick Reply: 991 new features: the Good vs. the Bad