Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about the auto start/stop

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 10:00 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 919 Likes on 514 Posts

The start/stop isn't part of the EPA "earnings" in the US - so whatever MPG savings it gives, the EPA doesn't count it. For now at least, the regulations can change by fiat at any time. But for now this allows the feature to be optioned off in the US - which probably 99% of buyers will do.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:57 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another stupid "technology" that will add complexity and expense in return for completely insignificant gas savings.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:36 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Ok, explain to me HOW it could work in manual car?

You get to a stop, engage clutch, put into nuetral... I guess at this point, the car basically shuts off... now the light is green and you wanna move, WHEN in this sequence, the engine is turned back on?

1. You engage clutch
2. Put gear into 1st
3. Throttle as you disenage clutch

I assume it must immediately turn the car on when you engage clutch, otherwise you'd be needing a few seconds for power cycle to go around before you can start moving, meaning a BIG delay at lights! Totally weird!

This stop/go feature works GREAT on Hybrid cars, as the car can start right away with battery with no delay, before gas engine comes on. TERRIBLE idea in gas engines... how MUCH MORE draw on the stock battery? have they upgraded the batter capacity at least? I BET such cars would go through batteries at least twice as fast as current cars!
Old 09-14-2011, 05:49 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Ok, explain to me HOW it could work in manual car?

You get to a stop, engage clutch, put into nuetral... I guess at this point, the car basically shuts off... now the light is green and you wanna move, WHEN in this sequence, the engine is turned back on?

1. You engage clutch
2. Put gear into 1st
3. Throttle as you disenage clutch

I assume it must immediately turn the car on when you engage clutch, otherwise you'd be needing a few seconds for power cycle to go around before you can start moving, meaning a BIG delay at lights! Totally weird!

This stop/go feature works GREAT on Hybrid cars, as the car can start right away with battery with no delay, before gas engine comes on. TERRIBLE idea in gas engines?!

According to Porsche the engine resarts as soon as you re-engage the clutch (see post #6). By the time you've grabbed the stick to shift out of neutral the engine will be running again. In my Cayenne, in the time it takes to lift my foot off the brake and move it to the gas the engine has restarted, so it's quick. That said, I almost never use the feature and leave it turned off, something you will also be able to do in the 991. Which is why, while it gives us something to complain about, it's really a non-issue AFAIC.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:22 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
According to Porsche the engine resarts as soon as you re-engage the clutch (see post #6). By the time you've grabbed the stick to shift out of neutral the engine will be running again. In my Cayenne, in the time it takes to lift my foot off the brake and move it to the gas the engine has restarted, so it's quick. That said, I almost never use the feature and leave it turned off, something you will also be able to do in the 991. Which is why, while it gives us something to complain about, it's really a non-issue AFAIC.
Doesn't the car jerk or anything at each start/stop? For sure 997 start is not that smooth (great feeling when you start), so if I ever got 991, FIRST thing is to turn this damn thing off!
Old 09-15-2011, 01:05 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Doesn't the car jerk or anything at each start/stop? For sure 997 start is not that smooth (great feeling when you start), so if I ever got 991, FIRST thing is to turn this damn thing off!
When the engine shuts down there's nothing. It just stops. On restart there's no more of a jerk than there is when you start the car manually. In fact, you don't even really hear the starter cranking, the engine just seems to come on. There's a slight vibration and it's ready to go. Plus it doesn't do it on every stop. You have to be sitting with your foot on the brake for a few seconds before it initiates. I imagine there will be a delay with the manual as well. Besides you don't take your foot off the clutch and select neutral at each stop so it won't engage for brief stops in the manual either.

I'm not arguing for stop/start, I'm just saying that it's pretty well designed for what it is. Like you, though I'd turn it off on a new 991 just like I have on my Cayenne S.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:32 PM
CtrUSA
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This really isn't new technology and exists on plenty of models already. Just new to the 911 (991).
I'm surprised more haven't driven a cra with such a feature by now. I rent a lot in Europe, so maybe that explains. It's a bit surprising at first to have the engine just die (especially on a rental, when you've not been told that your car has it). There is no delay whatsoever upon starting and I've never felt it anywhere as much as upon start-up on any vehicle.
I don't mind this nearly as much as some of the odd electro-brakes.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:38 AM
SPD YLO
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CtrUSA
I rent a lot in Europe, so maybe that explains. It's a bit surprising at first to have the engine just die.
Even more surprising was when I was out of the car taking some photos when the car starts by itself.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:26 PM
87 944 C
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wanna know what happens when something with the system breaks when you in the middle of rt.80 traffic going into the NYC and the car wont start again. you get the chance to cause more traffic.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:42 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

America could benefit from the German signal light system. Recall (for those who have been there) that when the light goes from RED to GREEN, it warns you that the green is coming by first switching both the RED and YELLOW lights on simultaneously. It's there to give you a warning that it's time to get into gear and be ready to move out. That simple change in America would save a lot of clutches and throwout bearings in the course of a year.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:58 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
America could benefit from the German signal light system. Recall (for those who have been there) that when the light goes from RED to GREEN, it warns you that the green is coming by first switching both the RED and YELLOW lights on simultaneously. It's there to give you a warning that it's time to get into gear and be ready to move out. That simple change in America would save a lot of clutches and throwout bearings in the course of a year.
Not really... How many manual cars are there in the USA these days? We are probably the last hold outs. Good idea, but with so few manual cars.....

Quick Reply: Question about the auto start/stop