Sponsored by:

Predicting the next GT3 and GT3RS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 10:20 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
And this is the appropriate thread to post this vid that has 55 views.. 55!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvtqg...eature=related
Fascinating video. There a second one by the same poster:

Old 07-21-2011, 11:02 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,303 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
But... it will be less of the 911 we love (or at least some of us love).
Really think you have to wait and see. Despite my concerns—and they are many—I will wait until I drive the 991. It could be a car for focus groups and SL/XK buyers—but it could also be a real dynamic leap forward in the way the 996 was. Your 997 wouldn't exist had parts of the 911 we all loved for so long been kept in place above all else.

At this juncture, as I watch all of the comments from the faithful, I think of 356 enthusiasts circa 1963/64, on the eve of Porsche's headliner going from four to six cylinders, on the eve of going from the little car that "was" Porsche to the bigger/faster/more refined one that, little did those enthusiasts know, that would go on to define Porsche. I doubt Porsche would have survived had it stuck with the 356, and I sure am glad it built the 901/911—which begat the 911R/RS/RSR as well as the 934, 935, 959, 964, 993, 936/956/962/GT1 (engine), etc. What a great trip it's been.

The key is whether the 991 does "it" right, like Porsches past have. We'll see.

pete
Old 07-21-2011, 11:11 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Great video.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:31 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,496 Likes on 2,276 Posts

Originally Posted by excmag
997 GT3 RSR in its current form is arguably an inlet restrictor allowance away from being not just back in the hunt but becoming utterly dominant in the ALMS. Then we must consider all the waivers that the other cars are running with. The GT3R/RS/RSR has been, and remains, a stunning performer. Again, it's a rules change away from the top step of the podium — and this against near-proto competition.

As to Mike's question: I hear one high-ranking person within Weissach has described the next GT3 with a single word: "Glorious." Given what I know of him, this is very promising...
but didn't the high ranking official say GLORIOUS just about EVERY porsche ever made including the 912 sportomatic? i want a plain jane, lousy, simple GT3. nothing glorious. just a car.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:36 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
but didn't the high ranking official say GLORIOUS just about EVERY porsche ever made including the 912 sportomatic? i want a plain jane, lousy, simple GT3. nothing glorious. just a car.
+1

And I want it simple enough I can do most basic maintenance

No electric gizmo crap that breaks
Old 07-22-2011, 05:44 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 195 Posts

Can't agree more. The RS 3.8 was the best RS built when they launched it, said Herr Preuninger. Then the GT2RS came along which set the absolute standard in RS'es, again said Herr P. And when the RS 4.0 was launched? Its "godly" engine makes it the ultimate RS, from the same person that said the same things merely a few months before.

Granted Herr Preuninger has a commercial role and I sympathize he has to market at the end of the day, I think we can all deal with more straight talk and less hype. And a simpler product line too--please please no more of this "special version of a variation of a niche version of the 911". I'm petrified, mortified and stupified by the recent direction that PAG has taken with the 911 line.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:55 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

I am thinking 8 cylinders .....
Old 07-22-2011, 07:58 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,285 Posts

997 GT3 RSR in its current form is arguably an inlet restrictor allowance away from being not just back in the hunt but becoming utterly dominant in the ALMS. Then we must consider all the waivers that the other cars are running with. The GT3R/RS/RSR has been, and remains, a stunning performer. Again, it's a rules change away from the top step of the podium — and this against near-proto competition.

As to Mike's question: I hear one high-ranking person within Weissach has described the next GT3 with a single word: "Glorious." Given what I know of him, this is very promising...
you tease!
Old 07-22-2011, 09:35 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

+2

they're already getting more complicated with electronics etc and IMO it ain't needed for track use. Just more to go wrong...

Lets hope we don't start seeing more electronic systems: electronic brakes, steering, air con... great for a few more hp and betta fuel economy in a highway cruiser 911 but not a track thrashed car. May suit motorsport teams but someone else picks up that tab. Wait until you have to pay to replace electric motors... Not to mention that these systems take from the feedback and analog experience we now enjoy. Won't exactly add to the ownership experience!

Regretfully, I think some of these will make their way into the next model in the name of progress... like centrelocks
Old 07-22-2011, 09:56 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Well unfortuantly I am confident that Porsche car will continue like all other new cars with more electric thingy's in the name of better MPG, safety, production costs and so forth.

Imagine what cars will be like in 20 years from now?

If you all want a sports car to thrash on the track with out all the modern gizmo's and nanny's, there are plenty of Porsches from the 70s' around....or buy a Cup car or ex- Grand Am or ALMS car.

You have to remember that the Carrera to the new 4.0RS all 1st and formost street cars driven by normal people with zero track experience. We on these forums that track our cars a lot are a very very small minority.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:29 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,780 Likes on 928 Posts

Kinda makes you wonder why all the track day junkies aren't running out and buying "simpler" older technology 964 and 993 track cars......

Most of the track day junkies I talk to are only willing to go as far back as 996 Cup car when thinking about moving into this space and most aspire to one day moving into a 997 Cup. Why? Because they're faster, safer, and easier to drive than the older cars.

It'll be the same with the 991. There's no stopping the march of time and technology.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:45 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Kinda makes you wonder why all the track day junkies aren't running out and buying "simpler" older technology 964 and 993 track cars......

Most of the track day junkies I talk to are only willing to go as far back as 996 Cup car when thinking about moving into this space and most aspire to one day moving into a 997 Cup. Why? Because they're faster, safer, and easier to drive than the older cars.

It'll be the same with the 991. There's no stopping the march of time and technology.
The answer is $$$$$$$$

To get an older car to handle and go fast it costs lots of dollars ....

The new cars will be even faster and safer but the introduction of too much technology requires lots of dollars to play...

The 996 and 997 GT cars I feel are the right balance between performance and reliability...

For anybody with a bottomless pit of cash, new technology will not pose major issues... Many track guys don't have bottomless pits of cash and what money they can throw at their hobby they prefer to spend on tyres, brakes and track time, not upkeep of failing systems... Just my opinion...
Old 07-22-2011, 11:51 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I hear one high-ranking person within Weissach has described the next GT3 with a single word: "Glorious." Given what I know of him, this is very promising...
You neglect to mention that high rank was in the finance department and the gloriousness pertained to revenue and profitability projections, market penetration, new conquest customer acquisition, production capacity utilization and long term inventory overhead controls.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:00 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, it's over a hundred views now. Precious stuff, but nobody seems to notice.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:57 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,303 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
You neglect to mention that high rank was in the finance department and the gloriousness pertained to revenue and profitability projections, market penetration, new conquest customer acquisition, production capacity utilization and long term inventory overhead controls.
None of the above. Real-deal guy, who doesn't "dance."

pete

Quick Reply: Predicting the next GT3 and GT3RS?