Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTS or 991

Old 07-18-2011, 04:50 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
we are only 8 weeks away from the 991's official public intro (and I'm sure we will know a lot more a lot sooner than that)................I would wait a couple months and see what the 991 is all about, then make a decision to pick up a 997 (there will still be plenty), or wait a year and get a 991.
I think that's the main point for me. Sure, if the 991 were two years away, I'd be thinking twice. But it's so close, I think it's worth consideration before dropping $100K+ on a car. I don't need the instant gratification. Each of my three 911's were special ordered for factory delivery so I waited close to 9 months for all of them. Having to wait 6-9 months for a 991 would not be a big deal and waiting to see what they are all about would definitely be worth it if I was in the market.

Originally Posted by rodsky
I'm probably keeping my C2S for a while. I cant "justify" my car plus $50K for a new 991 or GTS. For a very marginal increase in performance. 0.1 dsecond to 60. I love my C2S.
+1
Old 07-18-2011, 05:15 PM
JamesT7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, so to recap for a moment you are trying to decide whether to buy a GTS now or wait for the 991. There are a few more factors that go into this decision. First, what kind of usage and ownership time are you hoping for? Second, are you looking at the GTS as a stop gap until you buy the 991? Or are you keeping the GTS for awhile?

Everything people posted are helpful things to consider. Personally I do not for a moment think Porsche is going to mess up the design of the 991 nor it's durability nor it's features etc. It is not going to be another 996 design mistake. The 911 model line is far too important to Porsche.

As has been said this kind of purchase is fun and not always money (sort of). No matter which car you choose it is going to go down in value. What is more important is the kind of person you are. If you are the type that would not like to see the 991 drive by you in your GTS and think oh I should have waited or oh #*%@ it is going to cost me to trade the GTS for the 991. Then you should wait and see which car is better suited for you. If money is not a major concern then you can always trade up in whatever time frame you decide is good for you. It is good to keep in mind what is it worth to you to be driving and having fun now versus waiting x period of time.

Both cars are going to be lots of fun and make you smile every time you drive them. Here in the States it is going to be sometime after September's launch that it is actually here. So for me provided you have the means. Buy the GTS drive it enjoy it. It is going to be sometime in the Spring next year that the 991 will arrive here and then go test drive it and see if it is time to trade for it. With ordering a 991 to your specs etc it could be almost 9 months or more.

Ultimately there is always going to be something better coming. Buy what feels right for you and don't look back and enjoy it.

IMO,
James
Old 07-18-2011, 05:30 PM
pewter82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know how you feel, its a big decision, For me I decided to hold onto my 07 C4S till after the introduction, the GTS and newer DFI cars are nice, but since I pulled the trigger on the 07...I can't justify the upgrade in $$ for .5 sec performance gains or possible future collectibility of the GTS.
I'm very happy and satisfied now...but the Porsche trade incentive and dealers discounting was tempting though.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:33 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

I for one love the GTS as the high water mark of a very loved and successful version of the 911 i.e. the 997. The 997 was a hit and the GTS represents the quinsentential version of the 997. Classic? Who knows. It does seem that everyone is raving about the GTS and production numbers appear low for now.

991? Well, I honestly hope it is a great car. All Porsches will rise with the tide. My only concern about the 991 is not its performance but its size. I hope it doesn't lose it's "911" soul and slip into GT car oblivion ala' Aston, Jag, Nissan GTRetc... Its a sports car and I hope it retains its character as such but the growth in width and length has me worried...Sigh...
Old 07-18-2011, 07:16 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
What? No more Spyder?!
went for a backseat for my girls...

also, no doubt the 997 has more cockpit room and seat rake, so as much as the Spyder is a near-perfect sportscar, the GTS suits me better...
Old 07-18-2011, 07:22 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,422 Likes on 2,237 Posts

get the GTS, it is deservedly proclaimed the best 997 Carerra model ... what if you dont like the 991???

spec one while you have the chance ...
Old 07-18-2011, 10:40 PM
bernpep
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up Thanks

Thank you all for your insight. This forum has a fantastic group of knowledgeable people. Although I love the lines & features of the upcoming 991 but would rather be enjoying a 911 right now,maybe the best solution for me is to obtain a 911S with select must have options. There are cars out there I have seen on the dealer locator that I would be happy with & be under the 100K mark with a dealer discount. This would be a good temp for 2-3 years until the 991 is sorted out. That way I could keep my "investment" down to a minimum loss. The GTS's I've priced are all in the 116-120.000 range & dealers don't seem to want to knock much off.. Maybe this way I can have my cake & eat it too!
Thanks again for the thought process. The 911S option that I think must have for me are: sport chrono, pdk w/shift paddles, bose, nav, electric & heated seats,forged wheels.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:29 PM
JamesT7
Instructor

I have to say one thing. A GTS passed me on the way home and ironically it was white. The sounds was incredible. If you are going to have fun with a 911 treat yourself and get the GTS. It looked so good and sounded terrific. Best sounding 911 I have heard in years. Go test drive one and push the dealer some and you might be surprised what you might get. The GTS is something really special and worth it. And since you seem to be willing to own it a few years it is totally worth it. Grab this opportunity and work for a good deal. Also check around I promise there are dealers out there willing to make a deal.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:49 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by bernpep
Thank you all for your insight. This forum has a fantastic group of knowledgeable people. Although I love the lines & features of the upcoming 991 but would rather be enjoying a 911 right now,maybe the best solution for me is to obtain a 911S with select must have options. There are cars out there I have seen on the dealer locator that I would be happy with & be under the 100K mark with a dealer discount. This would be a good temp for 2-3 years until the 991 is sorted out. That way I could keep my "investment" down to a minimum loss. The GTS's I've priced are all in the 116-120.000 range & dealers don't seem to want to knock much off.. Maybe this way I can have my cake & eat it too!
Thanks again for the thought process. The 911S option that I think must have for me are: sport chrono, pdk w/shift paddles, bose, nav, electric & heated seats,forged wheels.
Just so you know, Sport Chrono and shift paddles can be easily added after the fact for about $1K each.

While they may not cheap to add after the fact, you could find a car you really like, but it doesn't have one or both of those options. However, this could work to your advantage. Strike a good deal and see if you can work in a reduced price on the "missing part(s)" with the selling dealer.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:06 AM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Get the GTS and forgettaboutit....
Old 07-19-2011, 09:06 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
OTOH, 964 or 993; 996 or 997......how did that turn out? Besides, past performance is no guarantee of future results!
That's why my advice is to wait, drive and see what the 991 is all about. I do agree that this "first year model" nonsense is just that, nonsense.

The 991 is going to handle better, be as fast or faster, be more efficient and do all the things we expect from a 911.
Maybe, but that doesn't necessarily mean better.

Maybe in an incrementally more refined way, but that's been the way with the evolution of 911's since the very first model.
Past performance is no guarantee of future results!
The GTS is almost 50 years removed from and light years more sophisticated and refined than a late '60s 911S, yet we are holding it up as an icon, the last of the true 911's. Baloney.
Agreed...although maybe I missed it but I haven't read that anyone actually wrote that.
The 991 will not be less of a 911 than it's predecessors who replaced the model before them. Porsche has too much invested in this car to screw it up.
Though I agree it's still just speculation. The only way to know for sure is wait and see what the 991 is all about. Which is what my advice has been. It's only a few weeks away.

Again, just my opinion. Buying a sportscar is an emotional decision and I understand why someone might favor one car over another, whatever the reason. I'm just saying if it were me, I'd put my money down on the newest Porsche, and I doubt very much I'd be disappointed.
+1
Old 07-19-2011, 09:30 AM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 07-20-2011, 01:56 PM
hot nikon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 09 C2S has 9k on the clock, I'm on the front of that financial obligation, really don't want to take on any more debt at this time, will keep mine. GTS looks good, wide body, Sport PASM, etc. Not really thrilled by the CL wheels, .1 sec. better 0-60 time, and the $40k difference. So...
I'll wait until the 991/2 (or whatever they call it) in 4 years, see what's cooking then. My 997/2 will have 40-50k miles, no more kids in prep school, and hopefully the $ won't collapse in relation to the Euro.
I'm going to go drive the DOG out of my car right NOW! Not owing a lot on my car is a beautiful thing.
Of course, this could all change, in about a month, if there is a GTS still left and the 991's have brought down that $40k difference. We'll see what the Frankfurt show brings...
Old 07-20-2011, 02:16 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

$20 says the day you see the 991, you're going to wish you would have waited.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:49 PM
JamesT7
Instructor

Elusive,

Hahaha that is so true. If you don't own a 911 right now then the prudent thing would be to wait and see how the 991 looks and drives.

Personally I think it is going to be a terrific car and a nice advance in design for the 911. Can't wait.

Thanks,

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GTS or 991