Sponsored by:

"911 has become the BMW 5 Series of sports cars"

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 10:40 AM
tpenta
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I'm in my mid 30's and I'll be in the market for a new fun car next year. Yeah there are far fewer people my age that are into cars and it seems with every new generation the desire for fun sporty cars further declines.

Having said that I'm leanings towards a Boxster or a Miata at the moment. !
Obviously you will make your own decision but if you are considering these cars, I would throw in used Boxster S or Cayman S and then then Miata is no longer in the picutre. It's a great car and I've been in a couple older and newer ones. But you can get a 2007 Boxster S at a huge discount...

I think these cars (boxster, cayman) are great bargains. The prices of used models are dropping really fast. I was just reading in the latest Excellence that you can get a 2002 Boxster with less than 50k miles for ~$16k. I am not sure I would get something from that year but am just throwing that out as an example of prices these days.

Good luck.

-T
Old 12-21-2010, 10:49 AM
tpenta
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

A famous comedia in Greece once said:

"Times are hard... the cheese has turned blue... the caviar, black"

Not much to complain about...

-T
Old 12-21-2010, 11:15 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by quickxotica

I suspect the new 991 platform is being engineered to be even more flexible than the current 997.2. Just look at that weird sunroof: isn’t it obvious that this will be a modular panel that can be ordered in different flavors by different buyers? (maybe fixed carbon for the track junkies, sliding glass for the targa crowd, etc). And you can bet there will be a variety of driveline choices as well: base, S, GT3, GT3RS, turbo, turbo S, powerkits for the S and turbo, choice of 6-speed or PDK, three or four different seating options, three or four different suspension options, LSD option, 4wd option, etc, etc.
I agree
Old 12-21-2010, 11:31 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by texas911
How much of that fun is waxing about the old days? I know when I drive my 993, it takes me back to when I was in school. Good times! Just wondering. I totally see the appeal of driving a classic 911. But the way some posters go on about it, they make it sound like all new Porsche somehow not honest. Far from it.
Sure, part of the fun of older porsches is the nostalgia. But aside from the 915 gearbox (which I hate), the cars are still fun to drive. They are like the cowbow digging a bullet out of his back with a bowie knife compared to a clean room full of surgeons using a robotic arm. There is always that bit of danger and noise, and rawness that makes them exciting. Fast, they are most certainly not.

The new porsche...well, I don't know how honest it is. Drive By Wire, PDK, traction control, etc etc reduce that honesty a bit for me. I want to drive the car, not having it driven for me by some (very brilliant) computers.

To me a 997 is a daily driver that you can have some fun with on the weekends....not unlike a mercedes SL or a BMW M3. I could not justify having a second car if I owned one.

Originally Posted by rodsky
I think the statement is full of **** to be honest. My first Porsche was a 1985 3.2, then got a 964, 996 and now my 997.2S. I loved them all. But my 997.2S is the one I like the most. No doubt about it. The 3.2 was a great car, fast and sporty. But almost very thing inside was barely adequate. Air con was marginal. Comfort was not its strong suit. The 997.2 is fast, very fast and really sporty. Everything inside the car works beautifully and doesn't compromise the sporty feel. I feel that Porsche has gotten it right. more so now than ever.
I think the point was that it was about driving. It wasn't about great air conditioning or sat nav, or a 43 speaker stereo or whatever. And yes, I do believe all the stuff inside a 997 does compromise its sporty feel.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:59 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't forget, other cars from the era of classic 911's were also dangerous to drive. Heck even everyday cars like the first Honda Accords could get you in trouble quick if driven past it anemic limits.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:39 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
These pics must be close to the final version. Clearly a larger car (notice the apex of the side rear window in front of the front axle, denoting a longer WB), a bloated front, a very large sunroof, and an overly complex rear hatch. It lost line purity, for sure.

Well seeing past photos, these new photos are actually nice!

Porsche's goal is that the new model will be no heavier then the old model, this to me is a decent goal though. I wish it were lighter but with all the new standards that are forced on car manufacturers, I can live with it.
I don't think you'll find some other car out there on the market that has the same safety, electronics add ons and weights less with the same track performance.
These cars can go through a war and the driver will still be safe and with the current weight and the fact that they lap the ring in under 8 min that is a fabulous car.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:14 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tpenta
I think these cars (boxster, cayman) are great bargains. The prices of used models are dropping really fast. I was just reading in the latest Excellence that you can get a 2002 Boxster with less than 50k miles for ~$16k.
Relative speaking, any mass produced 8-9 year old used car will be super cheap compared to MSRP. But if you consider that you can pick up a used 2002 Mercedes S-class or BMW 7 series for about the same price as the Boxster, Porches are holding their value pretty well.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:07 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Well seeing past photos, these new photos are actually nice!

Porsche's goal is that the new model will be no heavier then the old model, this to me is a decent goal though. I wish it were lighter but with all the new standards that are forced on car manufacturers, I can live with it.
I don't think you'll find some other car out there on the market that has the same safety, electronics add ons and weights less with the same track performance.
These cars can go through a war and the driver will still be safe and with the current weight and the fact that they lap the ring in under 8 min that is a fabulous car.
I like it. seems to be a bit more 'caymanish' but still with rear engine design.
i think it looks great.

can`t wait to see most of folks getting it so 997.1 gt3 rs would drop in asking price so i could finally get one.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:13 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by texas911
Don't forget, other cars from the era of classic 911's were also dangerous to drive. Heck even everyday cars like the first Honda Accords could get you in trouble quick if driven past it anemic limits.
I think you're pushing it here.

An 80s honda accord will plow like nobodies business at low speeds.

A torsion bar 911 will snap the rear end around very quickly with some sloppy footwork.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:47 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I think you're pushing it here.

An 80s honda accord will plow like nobodies business at low speeds.

A torsion bar 911 will snap the rear end around very quickly with some sloppy footwork.
I think you get my drift. All cars were harder to drive back in the day.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:23 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

ok, agreed, but pertaining to sports cars, some people may prefer that?
Old 12-21-2010, 04:46 PM
dr_r2r
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Porsche 911 has to grow in size to accomodate fat americans.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:58 PM
CHV
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What pisses me off about this magazine write up is that they have such contradictory views on the same thing. I researched 911s a ton before I bought mine last year. This mag's recommendation? Buy the newest 911 you can afford. So I buy a new one in 09 and then months later they trash'em?

I think the benefit of such a broad 911 line is that they are so customizable. If the GT3 were the only one that sold, it would be the only one they made. Dont get me wrong. I LOVE the GT3. It just wasnt for me.

What I love about mine is that comparatively it's light weight compared to what BMW's done to the M3. Its a blast to drive and has such a pure communication w/ the road.

Chuck
09 997.2 S w/ SPASM & a stick
Old 12-21-2010, 05:59 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 546 Posts

I like the looks of these latest pics. Actually make the 911 look a bit more "exotic". I'm definitely not rushing to judgement against it. I like the fact that my 997 is sporty and a DD. Its the perfect all around car. I dont need a BMW and a 3.2 or a 993. After having owned the older Porsche's - not sure I'm drawn back to them. Although a 993 convertible for putering about on a Sunday would be nice .

I am considering a 2011 Cayenne (in addition to the 997).
Old 12-21-2010, 09:01 PM
1BlinkGone
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boolala
He also probably didn't know that several members of the Porsche family were arrested in France after the war for colloborating with the *****.

Not everything about Porsche's heritage is something to be proud of...................
That last sentence can be applied to BMW and Mercedes-Benz as well. If you were a German MFG, you either complied with the **** war machine or you were shot. That's just the way it was.

Quick Reply: "911 has become the BMW 5 Series of sports cars"