rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

here are the rest to save you from linking:

Old 11-13-2010, 03:45 AM
JasonNY
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When is the expected onsale date for the 991 in the US?
Old 11-13-2010, 10:29 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think the front overhang is shorter, I think its just taller for pedestrian safety. Isn't that the new rules for Europe? I wonder if the new sunroof slide back and over, or would that be aerodynamically unfeasible.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:48 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
anyone notice the raised roof?

It comes up when you go over 70mph to create some extra downforce.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:46 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by texas911
I don't think the front overhang is shorter, I think its just taller for pedestrian safety. Isn't that the new rules for Europe? I wonder if the new sunroof slide back and over, or would that be aerodynamically unfeasible.
Look at stevepow's morphed photos carefully. From the bottom/front point of the wheel well to the end of the nose is definitely less on the new car than the old one. If you don't believe it, put a ruler up to the screen. The new overhang is clearly and significantly shorter.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:17 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Look at stevepow's morphed photos carefully. From the bottom/front point of the wheel well to the end of the nose is definitely less on the new car than the old one. If you don't believe it, put a ruler up to the screen. The new overhang is clearly and significantly shorter.
Bear in mind, my photo merge is not scale accurate - I lined up the doors as best I could - but my angle and lens are different - lots of potential issues. My only point is the changes on the profile of the new car are very subtle. The wheel base had changed according to all the rumors, but not the length - just rumors though. In those photos, it looks to me like the rear wheels are a few inches back - maybe the front wheels as well and slightly rounder hood - but I'm not even sure of that. A few inches either way will be hard to notice and easy to disguise in the body work.

So far, it looks like a 911 to me - with a funky sun-roof. That roof could be enough to make the 997 as dear as the 993 for me. Or if, optionally, it lifts out completely, Targa-style, it could be awesome.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:35 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepow
Bear in mind, my photo merge is not scale accurate - I lined up the doors as best I could - but my angle and lens are different - lots of potential issues. My only point is the changes on the profile of the new car are very subtle. The wheel base had changed according to all the rumors, but not the length - just rumors though. In those photos, it looks to me like the rear wheels are a few inches back - maybe the front wheels as well and slightly rounder hood - but I'm not even sure of that. A few inches either way will be hard to notice and easy to disguise in the body work.

So far, it looks like a 911 to me - with a funky sun-roof. That roof could be enough to make the 997 as dear as the 993 for me. Or if, optionally, it lifts out completely, Targa-style, it could be awesome.
May not be to exact scale but looking at the comparative size of the windows, wheels and other bits it looks pretty close. I'll stick my neck out and and say, with virtual certainty, that the new car will have less front overhang, and the overall length will be within an inch relative to the old car. Guess we'll know soon enough...
Old 11-13-2010, 05:36 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 505 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
...I'll stick my neck out and and say, with virtual certainty, that the new car will have less front overhang, and the overall length will be within an inch relative to the old car. Guess we'll know soon enough...
If that's true, it could mitigate that pesky "scrape the nose" issue so many of us have negotiating driveways...which would be nice.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:51 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Leader
If that's true, it could mitigate that pesky "scrape the nose" issue so many of us have negotiating driveways...which would be nice.
My scrapes tend to come from under the car, at the lowest point - I usually think I'm clear, then the scrape. Moving the wheels up an inch or so could help with that I guess.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:37 PM
sbpsu354
Racer

Yep, I'll buy one
Old 11-14-2010, 05:57 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like they fixed the 997.2 taillights. Thats good. Why folks converted to those from .1 I'l never know. The 4 inch longer wheelbase will affect the driving characteristics. You can hear the reviews now: " ...more stable...... but something has been lost.....", etc. Truthfully the car may look better with less overhang. The stop/start and electric handbrake are not on my short list of 911 wishes.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:02 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gpjli2
Looks like they fixed the 997.2 taillights. Thats good.
If you like taped on overlays for lights, yes, and they match the nice side ducts too.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:54 PM
JSeven
Instructor

Originally Posted by stevepow
If you like taped on overlays for lights, yes, and they match the nice side ducts too.

J.Seven
Old 11-15-2010, 07:02 PM
sgrade1979
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by texas911
I am surprised that meets the new EU pedestrian requirments. . . have you seen what they made BMW do with the new 5 series front end!?!?

Looks good though, I have seen a few highly camo'd ones driving around here in Stuttgart, but it is really hard to see any major changes.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:07 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts
Default Rough 991 vs 997.2 dimensional comparo

Here is a rough photo comparo of the 991 and 997.2. It is assumed that the distance between the front axle hub and the door's leading edge is the same in both cars.

Notice that the rear apex of the side rear window is in front of the rear axle hub in the 991, whereas in the 997.2 it is behind it. It appears that the WB gain is towards the rear, adding rear seat spacing.

Legend:
Wheel hub positions marked in red
Door limits marked in yellow
Side rear window apex marked in yellow

Quick Reply: some more 2012 991 spy shots :)