Sponsored by:

Here's why the 991 will be a great car

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 03:55 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
So you do NOT track your car. OK. Now I understand where you are coming from.

High performance driving in your C2S Porsche reaching it's unique handling dynamics potential within posted speed limits on public roads?

If you say so. Whatever. Thanks for telling where you get your driving experience.

How in hell did you conclude I do not track?

How in hell do you conclude that I have stated reaching performance limits on open roads? I said performance driving, not outer-performance limits or reckless driving.

Your bully posts are your hallmark. I suggest you discuss cars/ideas instead of targeting members.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:25 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread is getting off subject. Please refrain from asking about someone's driving style or preferences when the thread was not started for that purpose. If you want to discuss driving styles, go to the DE/Racing forum.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:49 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Much of the fun is the speculating going on within these forums! If we look back a year or so from now we will be able to see either how off base we were, or how close we were to reality. Just remember that Porsche AG will never do anything radical with what is known as the 911. It moves in small baby steps, for fear of offending those who have come to desire the traditional 911 features, e.g., rear engine boxer 6 and 4 (albeit small) seats!
Old 09-25-2010, 09:08 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ADias
..... I am convinced most 911s are bought for their image and not for their characteristics. Most are driven straight-line and sheer acceleration is what people are after.....
Well I certianly did not buy mine for "image" purposes coming as I did from an SL500. My mother after riding for the first (and last) time in the 911 referred to it as a "jalopy" and that was when it was brand new! Just the other day I was taking my aunt to a family get-together and stopped to put some papers in the trunk when she asked "isn't it going to get too hot in there?" At work when people ask me what kind of car I have and I say "A 911," the most common response is "what's that?"

Most "normal" people are not impressed with the 911 thinking it is perhaps a VW bug that has gotten into an accident or something.

On the second point I am in agreement. I love the way that the car rides, the fact that it is put together very well for a sports car, that it is reliable and can be used as a DD and that it is FAST in a straight line. That really is the only performance metric that I care about. (I know that there are faster cars in a straight line - Corvette e.g., - but they don't compare in terms of build quality).

I think that LlBR has exposed the hyocricy and conceit that is inherent in so many posts about the 911. All coming from people who tout the track virtues of this car and yet use it bascially to fetch groceries. I think, in fact, rather it is people who buy the 911 for it's NB numbers and track abilites who are buying the car for its "image qualities."

People who track their 911 should be glad that there are people like myself who buy it for virtues other than its track abilities. Otherwise the lack of mass market sales would likely price it out of their budget.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:43 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by boolala
Well I certianly did not buy mine for "image" purposes coming as I did from an SL500. My mother after riding for the first (and last) time in the 911 referred to it as a "jalopy" and that was when it was brand new! Just the other day I was taking my aunt to a family get-together and stopped to put some papers in the trunk when she asked "isn't it going to get too hot in there?" At work when people ask me what kind of car I have and I say "A 911," the most common response is "what's that?"

Most "normal" people are not impressed with the 911 thinking it is perhaps a VW bug that has gotten into an accident or something.

On the second point I am in agreement. I love the way that the car rides, the fact that it is put together very well for a sports car, that it is reliable and can be used as a DD and that it is FAST in a straight line. That really is the only performance metric that I care about. (I know that there are faster cars in a straight line - Corvette e.g., - but they don't compare in terms of build quality).

I think that LlBR has exposed the hyocricy and conceit that is inherent in so many posts about the 911. All coming from people who tout the track virtues of this car and yet use it bascially to fetch groceries. I think, in fact, rather it is people who buy the 911 for it's NB numbers and track abilites who are buying the car for its "image qualities."

People who track their 911 should be glad that there are people like myself who buy it for virtues other than its track abilities. Otherwise the lack of mass market sales would likely price it out of their budget.
The quote you attributed to me should not apply, I hope, to members of this forum. Actually, my quote was based on comments from sales people I know, based on their customer base. And you are right, those buyers help the 911 production bottom line. OTOH, those same buyers, or their marketing perception, also contribute to the watering down of these cars. So goes the world.

And no, I don't use my car to 'fetch groceries'.

Last edited by ADias; 09-25-2010 at 11:07 PM.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:54 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I fetch groceries in my car! It's got more space than either of our other two vehicles. The only challenge is that you have to park backwards in the space so it's easier to get the shopping cart next to the frunk.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:12 PM
vman4639
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
I've been saying that for a long time but it never registers. I am convinced most 911s are bought for their image and not for their characteristics. Most are driven straight-line and sheer acceleration is what people are after.
ham
Not for me. If I wanted straight line performance I would have bought a GT-R or Vette. I bought it for the feel / handling plus the lineage. I have loved the car shape since I was about 12 (1982) - I love how Porsche has preserved the shape / look of the car.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:17 PM
nyca
Three Wheelin'

Received 724 Likes on 401 Posts

Wow, when the 991 forum opens up - its going to be wild in there if this thread is any indication!
Old 09-26-2010, 12:59 AM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

I personally bought my 911 (1995 993) because I have been in love with the 911s since around 1975 when I got my first ride in an old Targa. I loved the smell. I loved the sound. I loved how it seemed to envelope me. I have the same wonderful sensations now. Either you are a Porsche nut, or you are not. It has zero to do with status, etc.. It has everything to do with personal desire. JMHO, YMMV.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:03 AM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Going to Costco in my 911 makes a dreary task fun (and challenging - where the heck do you put 64 rolls of TP without looking like an idiot driving home?)

I bought my 911 because I always wanted a 911 (since I was 7). Simple as that.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:43 AM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

I was about the same age, chef. As far as those TP rolls . . . hmmm . . put down the so-called back seats??? Better yet, to really **** off the bay area folks . . . strap the packages to the roof with duct tape. Wait!!! Better yet - - - that 'crime scene investigation' tape or the 'police: do not cross' tape! You would be the talk of all of SF for YEARS. Bahahahahaha!
Old 09-26-2010, 01:48 AM
ChiefEntertainmentOfficer
Banned

So is it 998 or 991? I've seen both....or is everyone just guessing and sticking to one for now??
Old 09-26-2010, 02:12 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Bonster
I was about the same age, chef. As far as those TP rolls . . . hmmm . . put down the so-called back seats??? Better yet, to really **** off the bay area folks . . . strap the packages to the roof with duct tape. Wait!!! Better yet - - - that 'crime scene investigation' tape or the 'police: do not cross' tape! You would be the talk of all of SF for YEARS. Bahahahahaha!
Tequipment option 549 - Roof transport system.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:20 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

haha
Old 09-26-2010, 04:13 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
Hey! What da? GTR cutaway?! Here's equal time for the 997 cutaway view!
My point is how GT-R managed to get a better weight distribution by moving the gear box to the rear... it is possible, although unlikely Porsche might do the same with 991!

Quick Reply: Here's why the 991 will be a great car