991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here's why the 991 will be a great car

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 11:10 PM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My reasons for buying a 911 have nothing to do with it being rear engined.

I think the Cayman is the most perfect handling sports car I have ever driven, it is really just amazing how easy it is to control.

If I could get something that had the cabin space and seating comfort of a 911 but the handling of a Cayman, I would jump on it in a second.

From the pictures it looks like the 991 is moving the driver forward. I can't tell anything about how the engine is positioned relative to the rear axle, but the driver in a 997 is way back near the rear, in the 991 he's closer to the middle. That's 200-400 pounds (with passenger, or if you're just really fat!) moved forward. The nose also looks a bit shorter.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:39 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by cbzzoom
My reasons for buying a 911 have nothing to do with it being rear engined.

I think the Cayman is the most perfect handling sports car I have ever driven, it is really just amazing how easy it is to control.

If I could get something that had the cabin space and seating comfort of a 911 but the handling of a Cayman, I would jump on it in a second.

From the pictures it looks like the 991 is moving the driver forward. I can't tell anything about how the engine is positioned relative to the rear axle, but the driver in a 997 is way back near the rear, in the 991 he's closer to the middle. That's 200-400 pounds (with passenger, or if you're just really fat!) moved forward. The nose also looks a bit shorter.
The driver position in a 997 is just about centered and the 991 is not going to change that.

Last I checked the Cayman has the same seating comfort as a 997...
Old 09-29-2010, 12:30 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Just curious. I haven't sat in a Cayman. In my Boxster S, seat travel was limited by the bulkhead ahead of the engine so it seemed that leg room was slightly less than the 911. Still very comfortable, but a bit of an issue for a long legged guy like me. Does the Cayman not have that same bulkhead?
Old 09-29-2010, 12:49 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

The Cayman may have the same seats as the 911, but not necessarily the same seating comfort if are much over 6' tall.

Mike, you are correct. Because of the bulkhead, the Cayman has less room for the seats. I am 6' 3" and if I slide the sear rearward far enough for a comfortable amount of leg room, the seat back is too upright to be comfortable because of the bulkhead. If I slide the seat forward to get a comfortable amount of seat back tilt, then the leg room is diminished.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:19 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gota911
The Cayman may have the same seats as the 911, but not necessarily the same seating comfort if are much over 6' tall.

Mike, you are correct. Because of the bulkhead, the Cayman has less room for the seats. I am 6' 3" and if I slide the sear rearward far enough for a comfortable amount of leg room, the seat back is too upright to be comfortable because of the bulkhead. If I slide the seat forward to get a comfortable amount of seat back tilt, then the leg room is diminished.
Sports car drivers prefer seat-backs in a straight upright position. Just ask Vic Elford.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:47 AM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not when you're over 6'

And a bolt-upright position close to the wheel is of course great on the track, but for a long haul it's brutal.

There are plenty of uncomfortable cars that handle better than a 997. The Cayman is one very small step on that ladder, if you keep going you get things like the Exige, and finally things like a Caterham or an Atom. If you're fine with uncomfortable small cabins you should be in one of those!
Old 09-29-2010, 04:09 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

^ Yeah I agree the 911 is more versatile. It seems though that if a mid-engine car was as spacious, you would prefer it. Therein lies the diff to 911 fans like me - I like the 911 for its pendulum dynamics. Once they are filtered out it will not be the same fun car.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:13 AM
Jack Ennuste
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe that engine is at the same place, but driveshaft pick-up point are moved backwards. This means heavily reworked gearbox.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:28 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Ennuste
I believe that engine is at the same place, but driveshaft pick-up point are moved backwards. This means heavily reworked gearbox.
there are 2 major concerns which we will have to see - they obviously making move with gearboxes having PDK one as a single base apparently for both auto and manual. i wonder how much clutch replacement will cost with it.
then there is this 'electric steering' wharever it is. not sure why they decided to mess up with steering, old one was perfect.

as of body/motor - seems like changes are not that big. if car will feel a bit more like boxster - i do not think it is a very bad move. people track caymans a lot and like them, plus, it will not be a big shift imho. when car will be announced they will likely provide info of corner balance so we will see how much weight goes on front/rear axle.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:24 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Just tell your friends that you really don't need a large back seat andy more...... because you can now afford the price of a hotel room!
Old 07-06-2011, 12:23 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I like the 911 for its pendulum dynamics. Once they are filtered out it will not be the same fun car.
+1
Old 07-07-2011, 07:22 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

I just picked up my new 2011 GTS. It's black with red leather stiched interior with the aero kit wing on the rear. I was going to wait for the new 991 which I have no doubt will be an awesome car and a technical step forward in a number of ways. From what I can tell the exterior of the new car looks great and is more of an evolution than a "change" but I was somewhat upset that it has continued to grow in dimension. The deciding factors to buy the GTS was I got a great deal on it; its probably the last of the 997 Carreras; it was limited production (not officially) but in actual numbers from what I understand; it is and will be probably the best iteration of the 997 C2 coupe; I was turned off by the use of the Panamera interior and console in the 991. This is just me and MHO.

Last edited by Waxer; 07-08-2011 at 01:15 AM.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:17 PM
Slimwear
Advanced

Always interesting when I read people cautious of the new 911 because it is "bigger" and "more GT" then the prior model. This has been the repeated argument made at the launch of every 911 since they introduced the car. I have had the pleasure of owning a 911sc, 993, 911 3.2 (current) and a 987S and I've tracked all of them. Two things that I think need mentioning in this discussion.

1) The 911 will not be a preferred car by everyone at the track if they move the engine forward of the rear axle. Many that I've raced with prefer the turn in drive out on the throttle characteristics of the rear engine. They feel this is an advantage for them and on some tracks its undeniable. 50/50 balance is not preferred all the time.

2) I feel (and its been said by the former head of PCNA as well) that the biggest reason not to move the engine has to do with the fact that other car companies cannot make a car that looks like it until they do. This is always mentioned by those that are responsible for selling the car internally (PCNA is one of my clients here in Atlanta). The risk and cost of trying to copy the car (and all other manufactures want to) is a huge factor in others not coping the design. Ultimately, its a sales question and this holds a lot of weight.

Now, back to the car search.

Emery
Old 07-10-2011, 10:19 PM
rumartin
Track Day

My Porsche dealer told me this weekend that they are moving the 911 toward a mid-engine design, and the 991 is the first step. 997.2 may be the last true rear-engine 911.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:43 PM
dagolfpro
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rumartin
My Porsche dealer told me this weekend that they are moving the 911 toward a mid-engine design, and the 991 is the first step. 997.2 may be the last true rear-engine 911.
As I'm in the market for a 997.2, this is not what I want to hear...

Quick Reply: Here's why the 991 will be a great car