Sponsored by:

Here's why the 991 will be a great car

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 11:21 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
For those wanting a smaller more sporty car, why not a Cayman S? Granted the power is on the lower side but when you think about it, it's still a ton of engine for such a small package and with the mid engine design you can't ask for better weight balance.
For those wanting the engine to move closer to the center of the car, why not a Cayman S? That makes more sense to me rather than hoping Porsche slowly turns the 911 into a mid-engined car.

To my taste, 40/60 is a much better weight balance than 50/50. That's why I buy 911s instead of some other car.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:04 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Agreed, but at the same time they COULD mount the gearbox on the front of the car, like GT-R did...
Hey! What da? GTR cutaway?! Here's equal time for the 997 cutaway view!
Attached Images  
Old 09-25-2010, 01:06 PM
LlBr
Drifting

While we're at it, gotta have the "ghost" view too: (take that GTR!)
Attached Images  
Old 09-25-2010, 01:18 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nugget
For those wanting the engine to move closer to the center of the car, why not a Cayman S? That makes more sense to me rather than hoping Porsche slowly turns the 911 into a mid-engined car.

To my taste, 40/60 is a much better weight balance than 50/50. That's why I buy 911s instead of some other car.
Uh..., ahem..., huh? Think again, maybe.

AFAIK, No need to buy that rear engine 911 to get a 40/60.

For example:

Carrera GT is mid engined and is 41/59.

Enzo = 44/56

Saleen S7 = 41/59

MT900S = 40/60

Mid engined 911? BRING IT ON! Think of the improved HANDLING DYNAMICS which you guys love.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:27 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
For those wanting a smaller more sporty car, why not a Cayman S? Granted the power is on the lower side but when you think about it, it's still a ton of engine for such a small package and with the mid engine design you can't ask for better weight balance.

I think the enthusiasts will migrate to the Cayman and those wanting a true GT car will buy the 911.
The point is some of us want a rear-biased 911. The Cayman is balanced mid-engine. The 991 will be less rear-biased and will have a larger polar momentum.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:28 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Exactly! The reality is that PAG wants to milk the classic 911 image but make it the boulevard GT most want.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:30 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
Uh..., ahem..., huh? Think again, maybe.
Those are all impressive cars, for certain. But none would be a suitable alternative to my 911 and none are rear-engine platforms.

Yes -- I really mean that. I would not by happy with an Enzo if I had to give up my GT3 for it. I couldn't use an Enzo the way I use my GT3. I wouldn't mind adding an Enzo to my garage, but it couldn't replace my 911.

Mid engined 911? BRING IT ON! Think of the improved HANDLING DYNAMICS which you guys love.
As you mentioned, there are countless mid-engine cars on the market if that's what you truly want. Why insist on ruining the 911? Just buy one of those other cars which you'd obviously be happier with and leave the 911 alone.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:36 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Those are all impressive cars, for certain. But none would be a suitable alternative to my 911 and none are rear-engine platforms.

Yes -- I really mean that. I would not by happy with an Enzo if I had to give up my GT3 for it. I couldn't use an Enzo the way I use my GT3. I wouldn't mind adding an Enzo to my garage, but it couldn't replace my 911.

As you mentioned, there are countless mid-engine cars on the market if that's what you truly want. Why insist on ruining the 911? Just buy one of those other cars which you'd obviously be happier with and leave the 911 alone.
I've been saying that for a long time but it never registers. I am convinced most 911s are bought for their image and not for their characteristics. Most are driven straight-line and sheer acceleration is what people are after.

911 fans were turned off when the 964 and 996 came into the scene, but I suspect the nail on the coffin is being hammered now.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:46 PM
LlBr
Drifting

I thought the 40-60 weight distribution was the deciding factor for you? If so then you got all sorts of choices and they're mid engined. Now you seem to be talking want a daily driver (GT3 vs. Enzo) "I couldn't use an Enzo the way I use my GT3."

Me? Too much money for just a [stupid] car, too exotic, not daily driver material, that's why.

I don't want to ruin 911, I want a 600HP mid-engined Porsche that doesn't cost $500K. Never gonna happen of course.

Nobody I can imagine buys a car based on it's "polar moment" qualities.

BTW, do you and ADias actually track your cars? I didn't catch it if you are in fact track rats.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:54 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by ADias
I've been saying that for a long time but it never registers. I am convinced most 911s are bought for their image and not for their characteristics. Most are driven straight-line and sheer acceleration is what people are after.
You've been repeating what everybody knows. How is it supposed to "register?"

We were brought up watching the 911 whine past us while we were on our bikes and vowed we'd own one some day.

Public roads only allow straight line HP/Tq to be experienced "safely."

Getting frisky on twisty back roads is also part of the fun BUT you can get cuffed and stuffed, not to mention kill somebody doing that.

Some of us have had three Porsches, have the three volume Ludvigsen set, subscribe to Exce11ence, and are long time PCA members. WTF do you expect?

ADias: How often do you track your car and enjoy it's "characteristics?" Every week? Once a month? Never?

Just asking.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:01 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

You've been repeating what everybody knows. How is it supposed to "register?"

We were brought up watching the 911 whine past us while we were on our bikes and vowed we'd own one some day.

Public roads only allow straight line HP/Tq to be experienced "safely."

Getting frisky on twisty back roads is also part of the fun BUT you can get cuffed and stuffed, not to mention kill somebody doing that.

Some of us have had three Porsches, have the three volume Ludvigsen set, subscribe to Exce11ence, and are long time PCA members. WTF do you expect?

ADias: How often do you track your car and enjoy it's "characteristics?" Every week? Once a month? Never?

Just asking.

Why so defensive? Just asking.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:04 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
Sorry to be negative but I don't want bigger & longer Porsches. I already miss the older 911's and their relatively small size.

The 997 is already too big, IMO.
+2
Old 09-25-2010, 03:11 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Why so defensive? Just asking.
Huh? OK..., whatever.

I'm still asking, that is, if you don't mind being asked AND giving an answer:

Old 09-25-2010, 03:34 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Huh? OK..., whatever.

I'm still asking, that is, if you don't mind being asked AND giving an answer:

I do not have to answer you. Rest assured though that I do experience the characteristics I care about quite often - on and off track.

Your thesis that straight-line acceleration is safe on the open road and canyon carving isn't, is blatantly misinformed. I know twisty roads where high-performance driving can be done well within the posted speed limit and posing no risk to other drivers. OTOH, I've seen primal jackrabbit overtaking on busy roads with sorry results. I guess it's what one knows.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:46 PM
LlBr
Drifting

I do not have to answer you. Rest assured though that I do experience the characteristics I care about quite often - on and off track.

Your thesis that straight-line acceleration is safe on the open road and canyon carving isn't, is blatantly misinformed. I know twisty roads where high-performance driving can be done well within the posted speed limit and posing no risk to other drivers. OTOH, I've seen primal jackrabbit overtaking on busy roads with sorry results. I guess it's what one knows.
So you do NOT track your car. OK. Now I understand where you are coming from.

High performance driving in your C2S Porsche reaching it's unique handling dynamics potential within posted speed limits on public roads?

If you say so. Whatever. Thanks for telling where you get your driving experience.

Quick Reply: Here's why the 991 will be a great car