Sponsored by:

991 and DD

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 09:29 PM
Gas Passer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991 and DD

Am I crazy to purchase a new 911 for a DD when I put 30K miles on per year??? Or should I wait for a nice CPO with low miles and have 4 or so years or warranty left. Or consider a Cayman S PDK...can't shift comfortably due to being 6'3".
Old 08-26-2009, 09:39 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can't fit the CS, the skip it, especially if you drive that many miles.
As for the 997, shop around. In '07 I looked for several months and ended up buying new since I felt the slight premium was worth it. I drive about 20k miles per year, btw, and my wife drives a CS. I bought from former board poster Chris at P of N Olmsted in Ohio (LikeMyStoppie when he was on this board), and the price was a huge discount from sticker ($14k off of $92k IIRC, and the highest price for my trade by many thousands). Made it a no brainer, so I qualified. Prices of new are softer now, but so are used. So I don't know if its better to buy new today or CPO without shopping it. But assuming a good enough deal to go new, I wouldn't be a bit concerned about using it as a DD at those miles.

If you want to do the math, shop the '06 and '07 models and adjust for features, then look at the price vs miles. My conclusion is that they all depreciate and the incremental cost of miles is low - so drive your car!
Old 08-29-2009, 02:52 PM
useridchallenged
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

My 997 C2 is a DD - 25k miles per year. If cost is a consideration, you need to account for tires and brakes which adds to the $/mile expense. Also, more miles means more wear and tear all around - more rock chips, possibly more curb rash, higher probability of door dings... Amazingly, not a single door ding on my car - people seem to be respectful and I park the 997 exactly like I would any DD, in the first available spot. There will be more scratches around the door handles and ignition, and everything just takes a bit more of a beating. If you have kids - I do - that adds yet another level of wear and tear from backpacks and sports gear.

I just hit a tire at freeway speed last week - car ahead of me hit it and set it in motion towards me. There was no avoiding it. Dented the undercarriage, ripped up the fender lining and various plastic under the car, and dented the rocker panel. Then there was also the 16-year old newly minted driver who rear-ended the car in stop-and-go traffic. Add that to the list of things that could happen to your DD, as more miles can mean more possibility of damage.

Nonetheless, I love every moment in the car. If I have to drive 25k miles a year and spend a greater part of my life couped up in a coupe, it might as well be spent enjoyably.

I have the C2 rather than C2S partly because it is a DD. But I also autocross the car when I have the chance. Even then, my driving skills still need to improve to wring the most out of the C2 before I can really say I "need" the C2S. I do have PASM and like it for the twisty roads. But the 10mm lower suspension also means more front bumper grinding. So it goes. My 997 C2 DD is a very well loved car.

I feel I get more "driving value" out of my 997 then any past car I've owned. My expectations are such that another front bumper grind, rear ending, tire in the road, another $2k in tires, another scratch in the all leather interior, a new RMS, regular detailing and so on are just par for the course. So I don't stress over these things. But I do insure and budget for them.

I do own my car outright. So no need for me to sweat lease returns and damage. And I tend to drive my cars until it no longer makes sense to repair them. Well worn and well maintained is my mantra. I won't be surprised if I get 250k miles or more out of my 997.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:11 AM
997CS4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your write up Useridchallenged. This is exactly what I intend to do. DD 25k a year in a 997.2 4S. Here in The Netherlands we don't have your nice better weather but probable better roads. I do at least 60 miles highway driving a day so the tire wear should be reasonable. I intend to sell it after 3 years (tax reasons) and do it all over again.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:39 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

There are 08 and even 09 "used" cars on the market, some from dealerships. Either way, private or dealer, I'd get an "as new" one that had been titled and run it through CPO to get 6 years 100k miles on the warranty and go and enjoy your 30k a year without worrying. At least you'll have 3.3 year of coverage vs. less than 2. Or, it would probably be cheaper to get the Porsche you want and something for "every day" like a GTI (haul stuff too) and make the Porsche last. 10k on the Porsche, 20k on the GTI. I have an A4 as my DD and drive the 09 C2S about 8k a year (so about 10/10). Not driving the Porsche every day makes the days I do drive it feel more special - something to look forward to. Not that driving a Porsche 30k a year would be boring...
Old 08-30-2009, 07:18 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Gas Passer
Am I crazy to purchase a new 911 for a DD when I put 30K miles on per year??? Or should I wait for a nice CPO with low miles and have 4 or so years or warranty left. Or consider a Cayman S PDK...can't shift comfortably due to being 6'3".
Putting 30K on a new car in one year will see car take a big depreciation hit.

At 30K miles per year usage I'd suggest you find a good condition used 2 or 3 year old car with some warranty on it and then drive it 30K a year. Depreciation if you shop/buy smart will be much less.

Make sure you fit in the car. Take for a longer than normal test drive. Try to drive in same kind of traffic you'll be driving in day in day out.

Figure at least 2 sets of rear tires per year with the 2nd set requiring you replace the fronts tires to (at say 30K miles) assuming you can get 15K miles per set of rear tires. I'm new to a 996 Turbo and do not know what tire life will be. I manage 20K out of a set of rear tires on my 02 Boxster which I've put nearly 30K a year on since I bought it Jan 02. Car now has 224K miles.

Be sure alignment spot on and tire pressure abosultely correct. If you bang car into curbs and such you'll have alignment out in no time so be careful. I've thankfully never curbed a wheel on my Boxster and I intend to never curb a wheel on my Turbo.

I change my cars' oil/filter every 5K miles. Do it myself most of the time. You might run the engine oil for 7500 miles but I decided on 5K miles cause it is a bit easier to remember when to change oil.

If you get PDK IIRC a fluid change is called for every 90km or so allow for that cost.

Oh, you might consider having front body portions covered with quality clear plastic protection. Will keep paint from getting a bit roughed up. Windshield will probably get pitted and you might be faced with replacing windshield in a few years.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Last edited by Macster; 08-30-2009 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Various typos.

Quick Reply: 991 and DD